Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 09-16-2015

Default LXI - HWH LOOSE CONNECTOR

The PO has disabled the slide seal do to a leak. I am slowly working at learning this coach and want to bring it back to it's original working state. So in my quest I opened the HWH control box (18" x 18") located in the first bay on the street side, facing the front of the coach. On opening the cover I found a 10 pin female connector loose (not connected to anything). I searched the electrical boards inside and found no mating connector for this plug. Anyone have any ideas if this connector is even used? I also believe that my slide locks may not be functioning, because the LED box above the HWH box only indicates that the slide is unlocked.

Attached are four pictures -
1 - Inside of the HWH box
2 - Electrical Diagram of electrical boards
3 - Pic of Loose Connector
4 - Tag on Loose Connectors cable
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BOX - UNCONNECTED PLUG-.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	195.9 KB
ID:	37851   Click image for larger version

Name:	HWH - CONTROL BOX DIAGRAM-.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	147.9 KB
ID:	37852   Click image for larger version

Name:	LOOSE CONNECTOR-.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	198.5 KB
ID:	37853   Click image for larger version

Name:	TAG ON CONNECTOR CABLE-.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	184.6 KB
ID:	37854  
Old 09-17-2015

Gunner:

I don't have a LXI but I do know BB used the same harness for many coaches and have extra wire looms. Saying that, the plug looks like it is dusty and therefore not used for quite a long time if ever.

I would wager that it is a harness that was not used on your coach.
Old 09-17-2015

A part number search in the HWH website indicates that the connector is for a:

Cable, Modular for touch panel-controlled leveling systems (with 14" control boxes)

See attached below.

I really don't know what that means in this case. I just found it on the HWH website. Hopefully it is a hint of what it might or might not be for as it applies to your coach.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf mr102300.pdf (6.1 KB, 69 views)
Toad: "The Heep"
Old 09-17-2015
Administrator

I suspect this is an unused plug,
Did you see this post?, there are two pictures on craigslist.

http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...ad.php?t=23674
Old 09-17-2015

tomorrow I will open mine and tell you what I see, although I know the PO bypassed the safeties.
Old 09-17-2015

Thanks everyone! Paul, I believe you are right, the plug is quite dirty, including the connecting face. Ron, it would be interesting to see if you have the same situation since our coaches are close in build.
Old 09-18-2015

Here is the picture of mine. The s/n of yours is 12 and mine is either 14 or 44. There are several differences, especially the wiring routing. I don't appear to have that extra wire bundle and plug, although it could be buried in the mass of wires to the right. I wonder if it is a test plug, later discontinued.

You will notice a switch in the upper right corner. John (BlueBird) Martin at Parliament told me two years ago that the switch bypasses the safety locks to get you on the road if you have a problem. He said pulled toward the bay door is the bypass mode. He also said most that come to him are in that position. Mine is. If I switched mine I am sure it would not work, BUT, I know as it is now in the bypass mode, the slide will move with the bay doors open (damaging) and the bus will go into gear, so you have to be alert.

I had mine in to the experts three times at two service outfits, got charged lots of money, and got no improvement. Mine was not showing all the lights green, and now and then was moving out at the base while driving.

I was told the magnet sensors must be set so the sensor is no closer than 1/8" and no further than 1/4". The easy one is the front where you can pop off the accordion cover. The rear one on ours is way in the back of the pantry drawers. That one was clearly too far out, and considering the difficulty of getting in there it is obvious why nobody got in there to adjust it. I found a way to do it, very painful and contorted, but got it done and the slide works great now, EXCEPT, once in a while the bottom moves out 1/4". I think that is probably a hydraulics problem, leaking valve or check valve, and will have to get HWH into that one some day if it gets worse.

I still have not proved there are four locks as the lights indicate. The bottom two are hidden or maybe don't exist at all. Anybody know?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Electronics Control Box.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	212.1 KB
ID:	37879  

Last edited by rrueckwald; 09-18-2015 at 04:32 PM.
Old 09-18-2015

Thanks Ron, for all the information. My Bypass switch is in the non-bypass position (away from the nearest bay door). As you have my LEDs indicate a unlocked situation also. So thanks for indicating where the rear sensor is by the pantry (another item to check out) LOL Is there a second sensor by the drivers seat for the retracted position of the slide? You mentioned about your slide once seemed to have moved while traveling. I found from our last last trip (out of three) on the return home the bottom of the slide looked like it was about 1/4 inch out from it's normal stored location. I leveled the coach and extended and then retracted the slide and it returned to it's proper location. If you find out what the cause is, let me know. The coach is going in for winter storage shortly.
Old 09-18-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOPHAT1 View Post
Thanks Ron, for all the information. My Bypass switch is in the non-bypass position (away from the nearest bay door). As you have my LEDs indicate a unlocked situation also. So thanks for indicating where the rear sensor is by the pantry (another item to check out) LOL Is there a second sensor by the drivers seat for the retracted position of the slide? You mentioned about your slide once seemed to have moved while traveling. I found from our last last trip (out of three) on the return home the bottom of the slide looked like it was about 1/4 inch out from it's normal stored location. I leveled the coach and extended and then retracted the slide and it returned to it's proper location. If you find out what the cause is, let me know. The coach is going in for winter storage shortly.
Gunner,

Yours is doing the same that mine does now and then. Someday I'll get hold of HWH and ask.

The front sensor is behind the accordion material behind the driver's seat. You can open that up by prying off the wall end as it is in reality a window shade on its side. That one is easy to get at. The one way inside the pantry cavity is the challenge.

I now have it that all lights are green when I head out. That, however, didn't prevent the bottom from walking out 1/4" occasionally, which makes me question whether there are locks on the bottom as well as the top.