Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 02-28-2011

Default Starter: new positive and ground conductor

Since Kathy and I purchased our 1989 WBPT it would need a boost from the aux. battery to get the engine started. Don Meyer suggested I put new conductors running from the battery bank directly to the starter.

I thought it might help. So when Don was in Quartzite he picked up enough 2/0 wire to do the job. Don and Jane met us in Benson, AZ then like any Bluebird brother he crawled under the bus and basically spent all day kicking around in my grease laden engine replacing wire and then yanking out the beast(starter).

I must give Don all the credit as I was basically the go-for guy. But anyway I was impressed by his can do approach to the problem. The fix seemed to have helped but there is still something not quite right. As I still need the boost from the Aux now and then.

All I can say is Thanks Don!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DON under the bus 2-23-2011 5-54-00 PM 3264x2448.JPG
Views:	218
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	9182   Click image for larger version

Name:	Starter 2-23-2011 4-59-26 PM 3264x2448.JPG
Views:	215
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	9183  
Old 02-28-2011
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&Knewbirds View Post
Since Kathy and I purchased our 1989 WBPT it would need a boost from the aux. battery to get the engine started. Don Meyer suggested I put new conductors running from the battery bank directly to the starter.

I thought it might help. So when Don was in Quartzite he picked up enough 2/0 wire to do the job. Don and Jane met us in Benson, AZ then like any Bluebird brother he crawled under the bus and basically spent all day kicking around in my grease laden engine replacing wire and then yanking out the beast(starter).

I must give Don all the credit as I was basically the go-for guy. But anyway I was impressed by his can do approach to the problem. The fix seemed to have helped but there is still something not quite right. As I still need the boost from the Aux now and then.

All I can say is Thanks Don!
Chuck you report is great and we'd like to know the last name of your buddy Don. If he doesn't mind.
Old 02-28-2011
Black Sheep Division

Chuck, did you replace the starter?

TOM
Old 02-28-2011

Check your charging system. If it is not working properly the batteries won't get what they need. If it is, the batteries may be at fault. Have the batteries load tested. If you have a bad one hooked to a good one it will bring the good one down. What does your voltmeter say? Voltage before starting and while turning the motor over? I have a digital voltmeter on my dash that is on 24/7. I can look when I get in and see if I need to run the charger or if it is OK. Wired directly to the batteries. Hope this helps.

-Rick in Ohio

1980 FC35, 1961 PD4106 GMC SN:326 Charter member of the Two Bus Club for now
I am in Toledo, Ohio
Rick Gunther
Old 02-28-2011

Don Meyer was the greasy friend under the bus. After talking with him, I think that the problem is that battery charger that you are running. Don said that after a few days at the park, only 4 balls would float. My guess is that the charger is not capable of a good 3-stage charge and never reaches 14.4 volts.

"Savor the wine of youth, for it is a drink that can be consumed only once”
shanefedeli@gmail.com
717-645-4912
Old 02-28-2011

Chuck,

I've got the same issue going on with mine. I'm pretty sure it's not the batteries, connectors or grounds, because it will start fine from the rear starting station. From reading other posts I suspect it has to do with the front cannon plugs or ignition switch. Please post it when you figure it out.
Westchester Sandblast
Old 02-28-2011

Hi Tom,
When I was working on Chuck's coach, we dropped the starter just to clean and tighten all terminals on the starter and solenoid. The battery cable going to the hot side of the starter was definately bad. Corroded and so forth. We made new cables with soldered ends and shrink tube. Also replaced the ground cable. All with 2/0 cable. All cables were previously pulled, cleaned and check for corrosion. All proved to be in good shape. Battery terminals were wire brushed and cleaned with solvent. I believe at this point all his cables are in excellent shape. Now I have to agree with Shane that the battery charger Chuck is using is not adequate to bring a large battery bank up to 14.2 volts. Even after charging all night at the RV park. After charging all night, when we checked the batteries some cells only had 4 out of 5 balls floating. some cells only had 3. I also noticed he had a fair amount of build up on the battery plates. I think a good solid 8 hours with an equalization charge would make a big difference. And of course a bigger charger needs to be installed as well. I told chuck I have an "extra" Xantrex 2500 watt inverter/charger I believe it has a 120 amp battery charger. I would stop by and temporary hook it up. That way we could do the equalization and burn off all the deposits. At this point since Chuck is using his generator battery to "jump" the main battery bank, if the gen battery was to die on him, he'd be really stuck.

I'll be leaving St David, AZ before the end of the week to go to NV. Gonna visit my sister in Henderson and then go to Overton NV to help Terry Angelino (we met him at Q) buff out his entire coach. (FUN job)

Don & Jane
86 PT38 8V92
Pop Pop's Bus
Jeep cherokee in
24' car hauler
Old 02-28-2011

Default Ignition switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas_sorrentino View Post
Chuck,

I've got the same issue going on with mine. I'm pretty sure it's not the batteries, connectors or grounds, because it will start fine from the rear starting station. From reading other posts I suspect it has to do with the front cannon plugs or ignition switch. Please post it when you figure it out.
Mine has had been doing that since I bought it. Would start fine cold as soon as it ran a while the voltage would drop and it wouldn't start without a jump from the generator switch.

I saw in other posts that it probably needed a new ignition switch so I replaced it and have had NO problem since. It would heat up the longer it was on and build resistance.

Member of the 2-bird Club
93 WB-40
83 PT-40

2007 Jeep Wrangler 4-door
Old 03-01-2011

Hi Marc,

I've heard of that problem before. But on Chuck's coach, it acts the exact same way from both front and rear starter switches. Also his current battery charger is NOT a 3 stage unit. And the fact that he only has 3 or 4 balls floating in his tester, points to charging issues. Even when I use my battery tester, it's showing 100 points or more difference in specific gravity from one cell to another. This obviously points to a charging problem. Chuck's batteries are ALL less than 1 year old. So my gut instinct tells me it's a charging and internal corrosion issue. I believe once we get those issues resolved, he'll be in good shape. (Unless of course his starter is on the way out) Plus if I remember right, Chuck told me that after he's been driving for a few hours, it usually starts with no help for the gen battery. Keeping in mind he has 2 alternators on his rig, he's putting out the 14.4 volts to bring the batteries to full charge. Whereas the 40 amp (non 3 stage) is not doing this.

Don & Jane
86 PT38 8V92
Pop Pop's Bus
Jeep cherokee in
24' car hauler
Old 03-01-2011

I think that both Tom S and Chuck have the same chargers. Are they they Progressive Dynamics units with the charge "wizard" pendant? If so, they are the culprit.

http://www.towshop.com/store/pc/view...idcategory=140

"Savor the wine of youth, for it is a drink that can be consumed only once”
shanefedeli@gmail.com
717-645-4912