Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 05-18-2008
Forum owner

Default slide outs!! seal info!

i was talking to a bird owner last nite and we got to talking about slideouts,and then of course slideout seals.
this guy has a double slide bird and hes never had a bad seal.
He says its because before he puts the slides out or in,he opens a window or the front entry door,to allow the air inside the coach to equalize.

if you think about it the slide is moving alot of air when its moving in or out,its a big piston,5' tall and 10' wide,and it moves fast,so it has to displace a ton of air when its moving.

He suggest that when the windows or door is closed and you operate the slide it blows the seal out of place ,and when the seal airs back up it blows the seal.
A very logical obsevation on his part.

For those of you that don't know,most of the seals are an air type seal,it inflates when the slide is in,or out,deflating when the sldie is moving.

Randy 93WB no slides!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 05-18-2008

Default seals

Randy I find the seals very messy in the coach and those sardines they eat oboyeek:
Old 05-18-2008
davidmbrady

You're right Randy, the slides move incredible air. My slide hydraulic cylinders move the slide with a good amount of velocity, maybe two fast. To slow (or dampen) the motion, I've often made sure that all the windows and the door are closed. The build up of air pressure inside the bus significantly slows the slide. In light of your post, I think I'll make sure a window is open.

Also, all you slide owners out there, make sure your air-seal air pressure is between 12 and 15psi. Many times installers over-inflate in an effort to get the seal to stretch. In time the seal will stretch naturally. My slide has been trouble free for my entire ownership (4 years), and I attribute this to monitoring the air pressure in the seal - install an air pressure gauge and keep an eye on it.

David Brady
'02 LXi, NC
Old 05-19-2008
Vic

For those who replaced a slide seal, what was the seal cost? Labor? I would like to compare what Holland estimated for me: $2400 seal, $120/hr labor, estimated to be $4000+. Was there any damage to the compressor motor as a result of the constant operation of the pump to inflate the failed seal ?

I know LXI's have a front axle recall, Is there any rumor about LX's in the same years? I max'd the load range for my coach to 315 x 80 after I weighed at FMCA. It was a surprise to me that I was over 16k on the front axle with little in the first bay. Thanks for your thoughts.

Vic Trucco
03 LX w/SLIDE
Old 05-19-2008
Forum owner

i think the recall is for the 450LXIs only.
the seal cost you were quoted sounds high to me,judging from prices i've heard in the past.
Randy

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 09-27-2008

Were to get a seal replaced? My seal is not airing up. I checked the 12 volt air compressor and it had to be rebuilt. OK now every thing is good to go. turned on the 12 volt air, built up the air and turn the air seal valve and no seal. I could hear air leaking around the seal were the input hose goes. And if you think you can get to the hose. NOT! I think you need to remove the slide out. I'm in the Midwest. I wounder if HWH would work on it?? any suggestions????

Bob & Noelle Buscher
The Dog House
2006 M450 LXi
Elkhorn, NE
Old 09-27-2008
Forum owner

HWH can do it for you,they slide the room IN about 3-4'' to change the seal,i bet you can do it!
check for sharp edges,screws etc,thats what gets the seals.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 09-27-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
HWH can do it for you,they slide the room IN about 3-4'' to change the seal,i bet you can do it!
check for sharp edges,screws etc,thats what gets the seals.

Good point. I did not think about pushing it in. I'll call them Monday and ask how hard that would be.

Bob & Noelle Buscher
The Dog House
2006 M450 LXi
Elkhorn, NE
Old 09-16-2014

Default M380 slide seal

How do you get The slide to go in the 3" to 4" it needs to to get to the seal?
Old 09-16-2014

Scott,

My understanding is that with the original set up for the 380 slide, (at least the front slide) could be retracted with buttons 3 or 4 on the control. Apparently some owners tried to do it with the arms still attached on the awning and the results were not good. That feature was removed, or never installed, at least on my coach. On my coach, it is necessary to release the mounts at the inside end of the support slides, release the awning arms and then push the slide in. I have only done it once, at Randy's last year after the WOG rally. Would be glad to try to remember just what I did if you can come by the house (call me for directions 828 243-2776 - about 30 minutes south of Asheville ) or see us at this years WOG rally at Pine Mountain.

We will be leaving about September 23, heading for the Winchester, VA Truck show, Hershey rally, Vintage Birds at Rome, and then to WOG. You are welcome to come before we leave or after WOG.