Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Transmission

Transmission Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's transmission.

Site Search:

Old 04-26-2011
ANOTHER REDNECK

allison approved products
TES 295TM Approved Fluids Table Of Contents FLUIDS Engineering Specifications for Fluids TES 295TM Approved Fluids TES 468 Approved Fluids TranSyndTM RD for Off Highway Oil Analysis OEM Installation and Service Support Materials Schedule One TES 389 Fluids TES 295TM Fluids Product Information Links C 4 Approved Fluids When seeking a fluid for your Allison transmission that is TES 295TM approved do not fall to the claims of some companies that claim that their product is TES 295TM approved. The statements infer that these products "are designed to meet", "are equivalent to", "meet or exceed", etc. When determining whether or not a fluid is TES 295TM approved, look and/or ask for one of two things:

The Allison TES 295TM approval number
The Allison Approved logo
Approved Product Listing as of 4/26/2011
TES 295 Approval Number Approved Marketer Product Brandname AN-011001 Castrol Heavy Duty Lubricants TranSynd AN-031002 BP Lubricants Autran Syn 295 AN-031003 Cognis Corporation Emgard 2805 AN-031004 International Truck & Engine Company Fleetrite Synthetic ATF AN-051005 ExxonMobil Lubricants and Petroleum Specialties Company Mobil Delvac Synthetic ATF AN-071006 John Deere & Company HD SynTran AN-1010007 Volvo Trucks North America Bulldog Synthetic ATF
Just a Hobby Shop now-Bird Repairs upon Appt and my Schedule -USAR Retired
Pleasanton Tx 78064
Do not use PM... please use
rwoody@fullnet.net
http://www.ebay.com/usr/woody19571

Old 04-26-2011
davidmbrady

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwoody View Post
this guy says this is the same??????

http://www.thelubepage.com/amsoil-torque-drive-atf
You got it Woody. Amsoil Torque-Drive meets TES-295. Same stuff.
Old 04-26-2011

amsoil 46.25 a gal
transynd 39.00 a gal

Email stephen@dupreeproducts.com
www.dupreeproducts.com
Telephone 888 668 4288
cell 716 220 1267 or 905 246 4295
Please use email or telephone to contact
Old 04-26-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
amsoil 46.25 a gal
transynd 39.00 a gal
Stephen,
Are you looking for another project? How about a group member price? you got any connections?
Old 04-26-2011

Last May I paid my local Stewart & Stevenson shop $275 for 9 gal Transynd (5 gal pail plus 4 @ 1 gal) and two sets of filters. I paid myself $0 per hour to change the fluids.
Old 04-27-2011
Itchintogo

Interesting to read all the concerns here on this topic. Great thread. Please allow me to give you my opinion, some of what I have already mentioned and was told by the Allison Dealer, and I have followed based on information from the Allison dealer. As simple as I can make it here goes:

1. When converting to Transynd it is fine to mix Dexron and Transynd. Don't be concerned. The Allison dealer here changed my fluid from Dexron to Transynd and I have run for 15 months with no problem. They said because of the fluid remaining in the torque converter you follow the regular service interval as you would for Dexron. So approximately half the service interval of Transynd. Then, do a change or service again and now the concentration would be considered full strength Transynd. You then follow the Transynd maintenance schedule. Easy peasy! No measuring. Just a regular service with the introduction of Transynd as a replacement. No wasting fluid. No measuring, no 2 changes or attempting to see color change or throwing away expensive fluid.

2. The cost of the transmission service based on Dexron or Transynd was not greatly different. I believe Allison probably buys in bulk and obtains a better price than anyone here would. It was around 50 dollars difference for the entire service. Given my transmission holds 30% of what at 643 or 700 series hold then it may be around 150 difference for a Bird. $150 dollars in the operating realm of a Bird is wonderfully nominal and I consider this a bargain. My point here is, your not wasting any of the money you have spent and would waste in a two change scenario. You obtain immediate usage and value from your initial change with no waste what so ever as you use it and enjoy it for 2 year minimum. Then the next change will put you on the "full on" synthetic path. No throwing away perfectly good Transynd, not one drop.

This process will work more efficiently if your doing the work yourself as well. Your not wasting Transynd throwing it to the recycler. It has worked very well for me and if Allison recommends this then.....so be it! My warranty is still in effect and backed by Allison.

I believe everyone should convert to Synthetic on all their power train, wheel bearings, grease basically everything except the engine. Everything is synthetic on my truck except the engine.

It seems I always have people lined up to buy my vehicles before they are ready for sale. People know they are well maintained.
Old 04-27-2011

Hey Slim,
WW Williams in Albany, GA quoted me around $450 for a Transynd oil change including filters & labor last year after RATS. I didn't write down the exact price.
www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=168
Old 04-27-2011

Good discussion. It's hard to know what is fact and what is opinion.

Cargo Heavy Duty Truck & Bus Servicing in Kalamazoo, where I get some of the heavy stuff done, gave me further info. They'd be glad to convert to TranSynd if I wish, but asked why I'd do that. If you run 50,000 - 100,000 miles a year, TranSynd is a good deal. If the bus already has TranSynd, might as well stay with it. But the undiscussed problem remains, the real killer, moisture.

For those of us who drive 10,000 miles per year, or so, and have some short runs, we need to be careful not to allow moisture to cause problems, and both they and the Allison seminar presenter said change it at least every two years if you do not drive a lot. It seems that would go for TranSynd, too.

They also told me they do not use the cheap no-name brands for Dexron III, only Brad Penn (the former Kendall Oil out of Pennsylvania) (and a race car premium oil supplier), and Shell High Performance Automatic Transmission Oil which has an Allison spec referenced on the label he said.

Now, is it good enough? I can't see why it wouldn't, but I'll research it some more. Anybody know anything about these products?

Just because Bradd Penn supplies race cars with premium oils DOES NOT MEAN you will see our bus rounding the corners at Indy. Heck, I'm still down to 45 on Jelico.
Old 04-27-2011

Ron - here's a fact. Mileage isn't everything. Meaning - even synthetics have to be changed, based on mileage or age, whichever comes first. Even Transynd documents this - 3 years or x miles, WHICHEVER COMES FIRST. I forget what the miles is since I will never hit it, 50K maybe. Same goes with motor oils. I use all synthetics in my cars, and change based on age, not mileage, because I never achieve those limits.

Water/moisture is a huge killer, especially in hydraulic/braking systems. My Mercedes cars in the service interval list changing brake fluid yearly. I now do that in all my vehicles. Brake fluid attracts moisture, that hurts braking ability and rots out the lines. So cheap/easy to bleed the fluid, why not do it. I have a lot of things I do annually that might be overkill. My knock on wood, my stuff seems to last pretty long too.

Another thing - I have read documentation stating you should change belts and hoses every 3 years, no matter the mileage. Hardly anyone does that. Well, then people are surprised when they spring a leak after a 10 year old hose bursts. All this stuff gets swapped out on commercial buses and rigs due to mileage, but we never hit that with our coaches.
VB 1570
Old 04-27-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrueckwald View Post
Good discussion. It's hard to know what is fact and what is opinion.

Just because Bradd Penn supplies race cars with premium oils DOES NOT MEAN you will see our bus rounding the corners at Indy. Heck, I'm still down to 45 on Jelico.
I use Brad Penn in my air-cooled Porsche. I use it as a recommended product by some extremely knowledgeable engine builders within that community. I've also used air cooled motorcycle synthetic oils by Motul and Mobil1s. Brad Penn is a bit cheaper.

I realize the product is different than our discussion here, but would assume the Brad Penn company applies the same level quality to various product lines and seems to value its own reputation.
Ex-PT36