Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > M380 (Unique Issues)

M380 (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your M380 model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.....list your M380 Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 11-20-2017

Hi Andy The orange pipes are aluminum with orange plastic coating. They are different metal to the valve so they do corrode and calcium up from hard water and heat. You just need to giggle and wiggle until they finally turn loose. I replaced one of mine from the heat exchanger to the mixing valve with a braided line from Lowes or Home Depot. In the water heater section. It has been working fine for 2 years, with no problems. I spoke with Rixen Enterprises. He holds the patents on the hurricane furnace and sold them to BlueBird and personally went down there to train the men to install them. So he is VERY knowledgeable! He said the lines would work with no problem. If you can't find the braided hoses, go to a hydraulic hose maker and tell him what you need. It needs to be braided, high heat and potable water. They can make it for you, but you will have to change fittings. Rixen is currently inventing a new furnace that he has sold to Winnebago, to go into their sprinter rv conversions. He also has one that he thinks would fit our M380s. But will have to do some measuring to see if it will fit in our coaches, if and when the time comes to replace it. Hope this helps
Missouri
Old 11-20-2017

Van, my service company is an authorized ITR service center and has been in contact with them. I believe Oasis is the model heater ITR makes that is the successor to the Hurricane. ITR said the solenoid part is no longer available. I am doing an on line search for parts.
Email DennisTorresMalibu@gmail.com
Old 11-21-2017

Oasis + Hurricane = ITR - So it is. Suppose I just had a poorly trained tech at Q. Have you called Rixen? He was great on the phone and had the pump I needed, when I was doing my rebuild. He stocks H parts too. When a manufacturer says some part they used is “not available”, it usually means they don’t stock it anymore due to lack of demand. Has happened to me on other systems for the Bird. Your task is to find the original part manufacturer. Recommend you post the part info you are looking for, here on the WOG. Maybe someone has it or can find it. Perhaps Randy’s “magic” warehouse?
Old 11-21-2017

Managed to get the nasty orange pipes apart today, heat exchanger was flowing water freely, but found the mixer valve was stuck allowing max cold water......... hopefully this and the fact the heating system was low on fluid is why my water was never hot enough

2004 wanderlodge M380
Old 11-21-2017

2004 wanderlodge M380
Old 12-15-2017

Default Recent H Rebuild Results?

Andy - wondering if you’re enjoying some serious hot water and coach heat now? Spent 3 years at long closed RAF Upper Heyford so am well familiar with how valuable a good heater is in England. Can’t imagine seeing an M380 on a single track. Bet you get lots of comments everywhere you go!

Last edited by NoGas; 12-16-2017 at 12:28 AM.
Old 01-15-2018

cheers but not much progress until today, dont use my RV in the winter, I replaced the worn fan with a brushless one from from kevin at ITR, still poor hot water, thought id fixed it by sorting the mixer valve, so removed the hurricane unit again, extended the lines & set it up working next to the rv, quickly i realised the heat exchanger wasnt hot everywhere.
So I removed it & seemed clear, but then filled it with central heating cleaner, within an hour all the black deposit started coming out of the boiler fluid side of it, so have left it over night full of cleaner, Kevin at ITR said use vingear, might also try this and also try full fat coke as this is good for cleaning old coins !
Moral of this story if anyone reading this hasnt changed there boiler fluid do it now ! to avoid all of what im having now.
But now think im making some progress
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3180.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	192.3 KB
ID:	53366   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3187.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	199.3 KB
ID:	53367  

2004 wanderlodge M380
Old 01-04-2019

Happy New Year!

I've got about 20 hours of my use on the Hurricane unit. It had been working well, but had a random overheat / check coolant fault come up. It went away by cycling the unit. I'm suspecting the pump brushes. Overall, it has 1080 hours on the unit. Lots of service records for the Hurricane, but nothing about the pump brushes.

Does anyone who worked on their Hurricane unit remember if the pump brushes are replaceable in situ? (without removing hoses or the pump)

My winter / summer valve was stuck closed some time back, where I graduated from Hurricane 101 school by diagnosing and fixing the valve. I remember seeing the pump on the left side, but not looking close enough to see the brushes or their access.

As always, thank you!
Ex-PT36
Old 01-04-2019

Default Hurricane circulation pump motor brush replacement

Doug, I have replaced the circulation pump brushes in-situ several times. Its location at the lower left rear corner of the Hurricane makes access difficult but it can be done. It is a little messy due to the graphite from the worn brushes. Get the proper PPE, knee pads and band aids.

Kill all DC and AC power to the Hurricane and let it cool. Remove the side cover. Disconnect wires running from the pump motor cover. Remove the accessible brush port plug and spring-brush assembly. Remove bolts holding rear cover on motor. I recall that this requires a 1/4" socket. Pull the 3 to 4" long bolts out of the housing. Rotate the housing 180 degrees and remove second brush port plug and spring-brush assembly. Remove the cover and blow out dust created by brush wear. Check the bearing to insure it is free running. Use a tooth brush to clean commentator. Inspect commentator for wear. If it is excessively worn, you will have to pull the Hurricane to replace the pump motor assembly. They were still available a year ago.

If the commentator is ok, reverse the process to reassemble the motor. Install one new brush and brush port plug in the rear port. Be careful, if you overtighten the plug, it will fracture. Depress the brush with your finger tip and carefully fit the cover over shaft and commentator. Rotate cover to position open port in normal location. install cover bolts. Install second brush and port plug. Reconnect motor leads. Reinstall side cover. Restore DC and AC power. Switch on and test. You can manually control the motor by moving the jumper located on the PCB in the Hurricane control panel.

Good luck!
Old 01-06-2019

Hi Dan,
Thank you so much for the detailed explanation! I'll source the brushes and follow this process soon.
The hurricane has run a few more hours without the fault resurfacing. But, I don't expect it is gone for good.

Cheers,

Doug
Ex-PT36