Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > M380 (Unique Issues)

M380 (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your M380 model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.....list your M380 Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 11-13-2017

Default Toilet

We changed out our electric Microphor with a simple gravity foot flush Sealand 510 for around $200-300 as I recall. Much simpler. I don't know why they made these things complicated and expensive with those Micriphor toilets. No advantages that I can see. Especially after the first Microphor repair which cost about $110 with simple parts ) I wasn't going to do that again down the road.

Lee - 423-292-5767 or Jacque 423-262-9569
or lnjdavis@gmail.com Please call or email instead of private messages

1995 BMC 37
300 HP Cummins 6CTA 8.3 Turbocharged Diesel
Boldly Going Nowhere
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/index.cfm #117
Old 12-27-2018

Default Replacing the Microphor LF-220

I've had my Mircrophor rebuilt twice in 11 years, the last being about a year ago, but they didn't replace the flapper which now is letting the bowl water leak out in only a few minutes. I thought I had this taken care of when I treated the flapper and china with CLR for mineral build up; that worked and worked well for a week. Treated it again, but without luck. The two rebuilds cost me hundreds and in researching WOG it seems a new flapper and possibly cams will cost more and a lot of time/labor. The Microphor is 14 years or so old so it make sense to spend less time and labor and get a new toilet.

Money aside, my wife likes the looks of the Thetford Aria model 19771 high profile. Questions: 1. Do any of you know if this is a good model and if it will be an easy install on an M380; by easy I mean like a remove and replace? I've also looked at the Thetford 19801 Bone Aria High Profile and the Aria Deluxe II and the Dometic 320 series. Ease of installation, reliability and quality are important to me. Residential looks important to my wife.

I appreciate your thoughts, experience and recommendations. Thanks, Dennis
Email DennisTorresMalibu@gmail.com
Old 04-17-2019

My toilet is leaking at the base and I am planning on doing the hopper maintenance. I was wondering if the wax ring for these toilets are the same as a residential toilet? Can I just pick it up at home depot?

Moh Machuga
Full-Time USA
Bushnell, FL
1997 WB 41'
Old 04-17-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by MohTechy View Post
My toilet is leaking at the base and I am planning on doing the hopper maintenance. I was wondering if the wax ring for these toilets are the same as a residential toilet? Can I just pick it up at home depot?
Home Depot will work just fine. Have done that several times.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 04-17-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
I've had my Mircrophor rebuilt twice in 11 years... it make sense to spend less time and labor and get a new toilet...
Hey Dennis - didn’t see your post back in Dec, curious if you found a nice drop toilet to replace your Microphor? After the rebuild, my originally installed Dometic/Sealand China model 510+ has been working great with one little update (see highlight below and HERE, post #8). Same toilet under the Dometic name is still being made, which speaks highly about its trouble free operation. Note: after replacing the floor gasket with expensive Dometic floor seal as described in above thread, noticed it was still leaking. R&R’d gasket with standard HD wax seal and no more leaks .

To Moh - get a drop toilet if you’ve got a straight “shot” down to your black tank. LOTS less problems and more water efficient too. I see PPL is selling the model mentioned above with a hand sprayer for < $300.
Old 04-18-2019

Moh, the wax ring at Home Depot will work.

Van, thanks for posting your model, I will check it out. I was about to buy the Thetford Aria Classic model 19801 which has a china bowl with a foot flush and cost about $557 versus their same model with an electric hand flush which costs $753.23, but my existing toilet has been working perfectly now for a couple of months. I can offer no explanation why it sometimes holds the water for a few weeks, then a week or so with letting the water seep out in about 30 minutes, but then start working again; the flush mechanism has never failed. I've tried several things, adjusting the flapper, cleaning the contact edges etc. If it fails again I will install a new toilet rather than deal with it. Thanks again for the info, I check it out. BTW, what advantage do you get with the separate water hose, as the foot flush lets you regulate the amount of water that goes into the bowl? Dennis
Old 04-18-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
...BTW, what advantage do you get with the separate water hose, as the foot flush lets you regulate the amount of water that goes into the bowl? Dennis
Without TMI, the hand sprayer lets you concentrate spray vs a gentle swirling wash using the foot pedal alone. You can also raise the foot pedal to add water to the bowl (before using ) without opening the trap door/ball. Recommend the hand sprayer option. For my rebuild, it was nice that the parts were easily available via Amazon. Like I said above, for my application a wax ring worked better than Dometic’s expensive gasket. The 510+ has a standard elongated seat sized china bowl, though it may not be as tall as your standard house toilet. If coach is in storage longer term, the small amount of water left in the bowl will evaporate leaving a dry gasket. Though I’ve never done this a small amount of HF silicone lube smeared on the ball wouldn’t be a bad idea.

https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/...hite_302951001
Old 04-18-2019

Leaking Microphor - mine has leaked a couple of times. I traced it down to the two threaded studs that hold the hopper to the bowl. A gentle tightening of the nuts solved the problem without having to remove the toilet.
Old 04-19-2019

Thanks Dan...I checked them, but it's strange that the flapper stays tight for a couple of weeks, then leaks for a week then stay tight for a couple of weeks..all without any more adjustments.
Old 04-20-2019

Dennis, I had a problem with my Microphor flapper leaking down like yours for a couple of years. No matter how much I ran a toilet brush though it or adjusted the tension. I'd clean the mating surface with a scrubby and silicone grease the rubber seal.
Then one day I was changing the rubber seal and noticed how much old sealant was on the flapper. I think over the years the rubber seal was replaced numerous time but the flapper surface where the rubber seal is mounted was not cleaned. I tediously cleaned the surface with a solvent and remove all the old adhesive glue. Not easy though a 3 inch hole with the flapper stopped a few inches in. But, after I replaced the new seal I have had few problems with leak down. Now running the toilet brush and occasionally applying some silicone grease on the seal solves the problem.
turnkey1949@gmail.com