Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Vehicle Issues

Vehicle Issues Frequently asked questions about vehicles, parts, maintenance, and troubleshooting

Site Search:

Old 1 Week Ago

Default PTO spline Question cooling fan 98 LXI

Good afternoon guys,
I have a 98 LXI as a second owner since 2003 and after talking to our Randy I would like some more feed back as to the criticalness of having the pto looked at with reference to wear or sudden failure.
Our lovely bird has 125k on it and I still want to keep it for a while longer before parking it, having been with birds for 40 years and counting.
Have any of you had to deal with this issue and if so what have you done, was it a maintenance issue or failure on the road, which scares me.
Any info is much appreciated!
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerhard View Post
Good afternoon guys,
I have a 98 LXI as a second owner since 2003 and after talking to our Randy I would like some more feed back as to the criticalness of having the pto looked at with reference to wear or sudden failure.
Our lovely bird has 125k on it and I still want to keep it for a while longer before parking it, having been with birds for 40 years and counting.
Have any of you had to deal with this issue and if so what have you done, was it a maintenance issue or failure on the road, which scares me.
Any info is much appreciated!
Why would you ask any of us to second guess Randy. Im sure he told you what needed to be done. If he didnt, that would be a first.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 1 Week Ago

Hi Gerhard.
I met you a year or two ago at the FMCA rally in Indio CA. I hope you and your wife are doing fine.

As for the PTO spline, your title also asks the question about “the PTO spline cooling fan" on your coach. I am not aware of the PTO cooling fan. But I believe the hydraulic fluid pumped from the pto/hyd. pump assembly drives the cooling fan on the drivers side rear end of the coach next to the engine. If my memory serves me correctly, aside from cooling the water/coolant mixture for the engine, there is also a cooling coil built into the Charge Air Cooler where the fluid is cooled before returning back to the pump. But that is usually not a problem. As has been discussed in previous years there is a problem with the spine between the PTO and the hydraulic pump.

A few years ago my coach’s PTO was leaking oil, which required us to take the pump off, and whereupon we found the teeth on the spine were worn out. This required replacing the PTO and the pump ( very expensive ). Unfortunately, I had not read the previous posts (“ PTO Failure”) discussing this problem and its cure. It is a bit unreasonable to remove the pump every year to inspect and lubricate the spline. So Chelsea ( a division of Parker Hannifin ) came out with a “wet spline” kit that can be installed to remedy this issue. It takes transmission fluid from the front side of the PTO and feeds it, via a small hydraulic line, to the back side cavity of the PTO where the PTO’s ( male ) output shaft spline, connects to the hydraulic pump ( female ) shaft. This lubrication now constantly bathes the spline, negating the need for frequent manual lubrication. That wet spline kit number is #329406X. I beleiev the kit cost is about $300 and labor may be a couple hours.

I hope thgis was helpful.

Old 1 Week Ago

hi gerhard
i would look at the spline as others have by spreading it and inspect it... i am a fan of the wet spline as it is in writing by manufacture that this is the cure to spline ware that's good enough for me. i would build the kit its about 30-40 bucks in parts and install it and not look back if you find that yours needs replaced it always way way better to do it at home and not on the road
good luck mike
even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile
washington Il.
Old 1 Week Ago

I would recommend doing it asap. It will cost about 5X as much if you wait until it breaks on the road in the middle of nowere. I've had two which had less miles than yours and the both needed it. You got to feed these things to keep them running.
Good Luck,
Dan
1996 WB-42
2006 Trailblazer LT 4wd
Bartow, Fl
dclembo128@verizon.net