Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Eclipse
WOG YouTube

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Takin' it Easy > Under The Awning

Under The Awning Here is where you can carry on a conversation, just like............well, like you were sitting under your awning at the campsite.

Site Search:

Old 08-18-2022

This sounds like a spectacular journey and outcome, Andy -- congratulations.

I think the key factor in low-carb diets is that the high fat/protein component results in lowering the body's "I'm hungry" hormone (Ghrelin), while increasing the body's "I'm not hungry" hormones (Leptin). Carbs seem to be very bad at this. Proteins much better. Fats are the best at this.

If you ever want to transition to fats that you (well ... really me, since I live in SoCal) can grow in your backyard, then avocados are an excellent source, and can be consumed either by themselves, or as a condiment on salads, or even as a pretty tasty smoothie.

Nuts such as almonds are also a self-growable (once again, if you live in SoCal) source of healthy fats. My favorite way to consume fatty almonds is to grab a bottle of single-ingredient almond butter from the grocery store. Although many brands have all kinds of stuff added, it's pretty easy to find a brand that has a single ingredient only --- almonds. One can also go to places like Whole Foods, where there is a machine that will make almond butter by grinding almonds up in front of your eyes. Nothing beats the freshness of that.

I'm not anti-meat or anything like that. But one doesn't need to be a genius to recognize that most of what we eat these days is "industrially-optimized food", such that what we call "beef" or (especially) "chicken" or "strawberries" today bears little resemblance to what the people of 150 years ago would have bought at market. Their chickens ate worms and dirt. Ours eat tofu pellets. Their beef at grass. Much of ours eats corn and is force-fed at the end of their lives. Their vegetables were mottled and ugly. Ours are visually optimized (regardless of what that does to their nutritional content).

Fasting is supposed to activate the body's autophagy response, in which cells with toxins are consumed for their stored energy, resulting in the remaining cells being healthier overall. And of course, one is consuming one's own body fats too.

Fun fact: How is most fat excreted from the body? Answer: We breathe it out as CO2, with the "C" coming from fat.

Once again, congratulations. For me, the weight I lost has stayed off for 10 years, and I feel way healthier. I enjoy a good steak sometimes, but I do try to get most of my fats from single-ingredient plant sources such as almonds, cashews and avocados. Coconuts are another. If I need a sweetener, I try dates rather than sugar. That's what has worked for me. I'm really glad you are having success with what you're trying too.

See you in January

Dan
Old 08-18-2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan1000 View Post
I think the key factor in low-carb diets is that the high fat/protein component results in lowering the body's "I'm hungry" hormone (Ghrelin), while increasing the body's "I'm not hungry" hormones (Leptin). Carbs seem to be very bad at this. Proteins much better. Fats are the best at this.
100%, and OMAD, for me, has been a big game-changer. You'd never imagine that eat less frequently, or not at all (fasting) makes you less hungry, but that's how it works. Ghrelin seems to come and go 3 times a day - breakfast, lunch, and dinner time. Let it go by and you're not hungry any more. Do it for 2 of 3 of those periods during the day and the hormone seems to give up and I have no hunger.
Quote:
If you ever want to transition to fats that you (well ... really me, since I live in SoCal) can grow in your backyard, then avocados are an excellent source, and can be consumed either by themselves, or as a condiment on salads, or even as a pretty tasty smoothie.

Nuts such as almonds are also a self-growable (once again, if you live in SoCal) source of healthy fats. My favorite way to consume fatty almonds is to grab a bottle of single-ingredient almond butter from the grocery store. Although many brands have all kinds of stuff added, it's pretty easy to find a brand that has a single ingredient only --- almonds. One can also go to places like Whole Foods, where there is a machine that will make almond butter by grinding almonds up in front of your eyes. Nothing beats the freshness of that.

I'm not anti-meat or anything like that. But one doesn't need to be a genius to recognize that most of what we eat these days is "industrially-optimized food", such that what we call "beef" or (especially) "chicken" or "strawberries" today bears little resemblance to what the people of 150 years ago would have bought at market. Their chickens ate worms and dirt. Ours eat tofu pellets. Their beef at grass. Much of ours eats corn and is force-fed at the end of their lives. Their vegetables were mottled and ugly. Ours are visually optimized (regardless of what that does to their nutritional content).
I enjoy all the nuts and avocados, but right now I have to curb my intake because they are easy for me to binge on. I don't need that right now, but I am looking forward to eating more of them during maintenance. Limiting myself to 1/4 cup of pecans is hard...

Everything I've eaten except for 1 Coke Zero (meh) and 4 squirts if Mio (threw it out) has been single-ingredient stuff. Half the beef came from a farm down the road, pigs up the road, eggs from another farm, etc. Veg almost all from my own garden - peppers of all kind, swiss chard, lots of collards, some tomatoes now, cucs, zucc, pattypan, herbs, lettuce, etc.
Quote:
Fasting is supposed to activate the body's autophagy response, in which cells with toxins are consumed for their stored energy, resulting in the remaining cells being healthier overall. And of course, one is consuming one's own body fats too.
I've read the exact thing, and I believe it. Still no direct indicator of it happening, though.
Quote:
Fun fact: How is most fat excreted from the body? Answer: We breathe it out as CO2, with the "C" coming from fat.
Interesting fasting fact - during my fast I lost almost all my daily weight *while I slept*.
Quote:
Once again, congratulations. For me, the weight I lost has stayed off for 10 years, and I feel way healthier. I enjoy a good steak sometimes, but I do try to get most of my fats from single-ingredient plant sources such as almonds, cashews and avocados. Coconuts are another. If I need a sweetener, I try dates rather than sugar. That's what has worked for me. I'm really glad you are having success with what you're trying too.
I avoid sweeteners of any kind right now because they make me want to binge eat. Not binge eat sweets, but anything I have, "keto" foods. That's why I chucked the Mio, it was so good and sweet, but it made me binge!
Quote:
See you in January
We'll see what happens! If I can be there I will be!