Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Eclipse
WOG YouTube

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > FC (Forward Control Unique Issues)

FC (Forward Control Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your FC model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.......List your FC Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 08-18-2022

All wise words, Kiwi. Thanks. Will pass on the info.

Greene County, Tennessee

1983 FC35 3208T "Gen X Express"
1991 Toyota 4Runner TOAD or
1980 Camaro TOAD

danahcks@aol.com
Old 08-19-2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi3 View Post
Make sure to have several metal cutting Sawzall blades around. It makes getting those old airbags off much easier. I mean it isn't like you're going to reuse the bolts on them. Save your sanity and pry the top and bottom pads away from the mounts enough to get the blade in there and just cut the bolts and kick the rusted stuff out of the mounts. You might want to look at the airlines while you're there and replace if they have wonky kinks (not the fun kind) in them. I ended up re-plumbing the tag and steer airlines with flex.

Nice thing about flex is that it makes hooking up the new bags even easier since you can put the nut on the airline above the mount, pull the airline down through the mount and attach it to the bag, then put the bag into the mount and drop the nut down the line onto the bolt.

Also if your shocks are like mine, have an air chisel on standby to get the nuts loose. Even my torque multiplier that I use on the wheels wasn't getting them. But some PB Blaster and an air chisel knocked them off - or just use the Sawzall multitool and cut the bolt. Sometimes trying to do it the mechanic way with wrenches works against you on 40 year old bolts.
I agree 100% . I recently replaced shocks on my 69 MK3 and the first one took me 2 days . one day to soak the bolts and another to fight the bolts . Then I said the h... with that saw Zaw 15 min and shock was on . !

1997 WB Mid Door 43'
2000 LXI Single Slide (sold)
1999 Prevost Vantare 45 (sold)

Cheraw SC
alperna@yahoo.com
386 290 3444
Old 3 Weeks Ago

How is Tony doing after surgery?
Got the airbags yet? Not installed but at your house?

1999 BB custom 33' 8.3 Cummins "Jesse"
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Tony is doing great post surgery. No airbags yet. Talked with Michigan Truck Springs last week and he said they haven't arrived yet but hopefully soon.

Greene County, Tennessee

1980 Camaro TOAD

danahcks@aol.com
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Tony is doing great post surgery. No airbags yet. Talked with Michigan Truck Springs last week and he said they haven't arrived yet but hopefully soon.
So while we patiently wait, we might work on repairing and replacing the exhaust with 4". We have plenty of 4" pipe we got from the school bus shop he used to work at. I know it's cutting it close for the rally but don't have much choice. Hope to see you all there.

Greene County, Tennessee

1980 Camaro TOAD

danahcks@aol.com
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Glad to hear that Tony’s on the mend.

You may already be doing it but I would suggest hitting all those air bag nuts with PB Blaster or similar, daily. I did all of my bags a couple of years ago and found that separating the frame and suspension with a stubby jack worked well. I also abandoned completely removing those thousand-turn flat air bag nuts and loosened just enough to fit a sawzall between the bag and frame to cut the upper stud and air pipe after the air line is disconnected. Cutoff 3/4” and 5/8” open end wrenches for the upper nut and air line coupling IIRC.

Gloves, eye protection, and a shot or two of Binaca to lubricate the vocal cords for the unavoidable curse barrage that will ensue Looking forward to seeing you guys and catching up at WOG.

Bill & Tracy Lott
87 FC35 "Traveller"
Shalimar, Florida
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Thanks Bill. He is under there now and plans to replace the blown bag with our 1 spare bag and patch the exhaust in the interest of time so we can at least make the WOG rally. This will give us a nice winter project once all the other bags come in. We have 1 front and 1 rear airbag as spares.

Greene County, Tennessee

1980 Camaro TOAD

danahcks@aol.com
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Forum owner

I have a set but i don't sell to friends.
(just kidding on both accounts)!
glad tony is doing ok.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 2 Weeks Ago

We have a spare for the front and for the back. He will just replace the front one that has failed. Oddly enough is it looks like a new bag. The hardware looks fresh and new, unlike the other bags. It failed at the very top where the rubber connects with the metal top. We pressurized the system and could hear and feel the air coming from that area. Guess the newer bags are not as good as the older ones?

On other news, we still have a decent transmission cooling line leak, however the connectors are in extremely bad shape, rusty, where the lines thread into the bottom of the radiator. He fears if he tries to remove the lines, the radiator will break and we will have a bigger problem.

Greene County, Tennessee

1980 Camaro TOAD

danahcks@aol.com
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorgrl View Post
Thanks Bill. He is under there now and plans to replace the blown bag with our 1 spare bag and patch the exhaust in the interest of time so we can at least make the WOG rally. This will give us a nice winter project once all the other bags come in. We have 1 front and 1 rear airbag as spares.
If you’re up for a drive I have 2 new front bags that I haven’t installed yet that you’re welcome to, if yours haven’t shipped yet you could just have them shipped to me. I’m in Greensboro about 4 hours from you and would be happy to meet you halfway. Those bag are. PITA and I’d hate for you to have to do that side twice. Call me 336-580-1076