Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Takin' it Easy > Under The Awning

Under The Awning Here is where you can carry on a conversation, just like............well, like you were sitting under your awning at the campsite.

Site Search:

Old 05-05-2012

Default Bird Barn - steel vs post/beam

Guys, I am struggling with a decision. I have never built a metal building, nor even did real-mans work in one unfortunantly. The decision is whether to get a building erected with either:

A) Treated wood columns and wood trusses, skinned with 29 guage steel panels, or
B) Steel columns and trusses skinned with 26 guage steel panels.

The cost of all steel is $8k more over the wood skeleton. I can think of a lot of things I can use $8k for. I am not needing this thing to last 30 years, but to only keep my baby warm and dry and have a place to tinker with her. But at the same time, I don't want to learn something later that will make me wish I would have not been so cheap.

I would sure appreciate your opinion.
1986 PT36 6V92 "Golden Memories"-Sold
1993 WB40 "freeNeasy"-Sold
Old 05-05-2012
Forum owner

wood works for me!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 05-05-2012
1995 WB 42’ Series 60

I would want to look at some of his buildings. But if build right, wood it fine. Be sure to it has good insulation. Some are using the thin silver quilted stuf that is virtually worthless. And that could be the difference in price you are getting.
Please use e mail instead of Private Message
Mallie@EuLake.com
Old 05-05-2012
95 WB 42

Rick

On ours it was cheaper to use 2x6 studs that 6x6 post spaced out futher.
Ours are 16" on center due to the excessive width. May be able to go 3' centers if your width allows. Lots of farm barns do this on shed roofs around here they just cross it every 4' with the tin nailers.

Check Dick Gideon's Bird Shop he poured a short concrete wall around the perimeter I like that idea.

1995 WB 42 Series 60
Perry Georgia
770-548-1441 cell
Old 05-05-2012

Wood would be fine. I would consider upping the wind and snow loads one level. One of the big wind load issues is the connection between the walls and the roof and I would spend a bit extra to upgrade in this area.

The idea would be to make double sure that the roof doesn't collapse and squish your bird.

Paul & Janice Olson
Morrison, Colorado
Mi-Vida-Loca
1984 PT40
KoWSU
Old 05-05-2012

I went thru the same thing :roll eyes: Decided to go all steel. Termites don't eat steel . I spent 1-1/2 years looking at different ideas and finding a company that would let me design what I wanted as opposed to what they were offering. My buddy across town has a wood/steel building for his bus conversion. His building has posts inside - mine is a clear span (50' x 60' and completely open). At the time I built the building I had no idea I would ever own a motorhome much less a huge bus. Got kinda lucky there. Keep in mind there are hundreds of guys with a cad program, computer, and a web site that are in the metal building business - but only about 4 or 5 manufacturers. Send me your direct email an I send you a picture or 2 and some ideas that may help you out.
BTW - Ed Wimberley has what I consider to be the ultimate building - designed with Bluebird in mind. I am jealous
"Bordering On Adequate"
Old 05-05-2012

Rich, my 40 x 60 bird barn has 2 x 6 stud walls 16" OC; walls setting on 4' stem wall, engineered wood trusses 5:12 pitch, 24" OC; 6" concrete floor with lots of steel. Painted 29 ga Strongbarn steel roofing and siding.

Two 12 x 14 overhead entry doors (for 2 Birds ) and one 10 x 12 overhead side door; two 3' passage doors, three 4 x 5 windows.

No pit, but Ed lets me use his anytime I ask plus I have access to a pit nearby.
SOLD 89 FC in 2012; SOLD 88 WB in 2016
Rolla, MO 65401
Old 05-05-2012

Thanks for the comments so far. They are both as apples-to-apples as I can make them. Both clear spans, both insulated the same, both 20psf live roof load, both 10psf snow load, both the same door cutouts, same windows, same colors, etc, etc. The steel is by Rockford Steel erected by a local contractor that has erected Rockford buildings for years, and the post/beam by National Barn, Inc. is erected by National Barn's own crews right here in Tennessee. They look the same from the outside. Other than the difference in gauge of the sheets, the only difference is the wood versus steel on the inside, and wood columns drilled/concreted in the ground versus steel on a footer. Thanks for the reminder regarding termites. I had totally forgotten that. Of couse $8k would go a long way to building the pit!!
1986 PT36 6V92 "Golden Memories"-Sold
1993 WB40 "freeNeasy"-Sold
Old 05-05-2012

use wood- and save that 8 grand for ME!!!
www.ernieekbergflooring.net
Old 05-05-2012

This our obviously something like asking about which brand of tire to use, so here is my two cents worth. I built my barn and house out of a pole barn plan and used wood, throughout. I can't take a picture of the skeleton so I will have to describe it. I used laminated treated 2x6 to make the posts. This will insure there is no warpage like you would get if you used posts. This method is used extensively around here and it works great. You get a lot truer fit of all materials, with that method. Then I put the usual girts around the outside and sheeted it with 29 ga. steel. On the inside I then put 2x6 between the posts horizontally every two feet, and flush with the posts. Then I sheeted the inside with 7/16 OSB. I air stapled it and glued it. The ceiling is sheeted with the same steel used on the outside, with truses every 4'. I treated the "house addition" the same way but used drywall inside (of course). The "barn" is 42x64 and the "house" is 30x50 at a right angle to one end of the barn. This place isn't going anywhere in my opinion. As far as termite or rot, well lets just say my old bones will probably be rotted before the bones of this place will be and I won't care. Here is a pick with it almost completed. Still needed to finish the stone outside the lower half of the "house".

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010012.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	16036

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
260-224-1278