Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 06-21-2011

Default battery cables hot, etc from new owner

Have only recently gotten into understanding my BB. Got the tranny/block issue resolved, now the bird won't start. The negative cable gets very hot on trying to start, even the *** cable gets a little warm. never had any issue with starting til the tranny problem. So I am assuming the back 2 batteries(optima) are the starting batts, and the 2 front are house batts? The rear batteries neg cable is the one getting hot. The engine acts like the batts are dead. Tightened all the connections, installed a new cable to a ***, also there was a *** connection to the threaded bolt on one battery, but that bolt is loose, so I took the connection off and put it on the post connection. Does the loose bolt mean the battery is bad, or is it ok without using the bolt? Any other helpful tips? thanks, Tom

June 25 - have replaced cables and cleaned and tightened all connections - when turn the key, volts go to zero, on aux batt switch too. Disconnected all the batteries and connected up to my big truck battery - turned key and it sounded like a little less dead battery, but volts go to 0 and not enough to start.. So, either all 4 batteries went dead at the same time??? or when the tranny slipped out of the block, something else went screwy that is shorting the batteries??? or???? It appears all the connections to the starter are tight and good. Any ideas???thanks again, Tom

Last edited by thardst1; 06-25-2011 at 11:26 AM. Reason: new info
Old 06-21-2011

Does the engine and trans turn by hand off the crank pulley, is the battery cables clean , good ground and +? Read the battery voltage with engine off and then when trying to start. If it goes to 0 when trying to start you have a shorted battery, then use your hyd to read each cell looking for the bad ones.
2006 Jeep TJ Wrangler X
See my Album!
Old 06-21-2011

Default Starting problem

My first thought is the torque converter is not all the way aligned into the transmission. Can you remove a cover to see the torque converter and see if it will turn by hand a little back and forth in neutral. Be sure to have the wheels/parking brake set.
Bruce in Alaska
Old 06-21-2011

well, the gauge does go to 0 when trying to start. I switched the battery with the bad bolt from the front group to , I guess, the starting group. But, the tranny stripped the bolts out of the engine block and we installed longer bolts and got the case bolted down to the engine block, but that was the initial issue - so maybe it is not correct? It only dropped about 1/2, but enough to strip out most of the 3/8" bolts.
Looking for a bad cell, means the battery needs replaced, correct? thanks again, Tom
Old 06-21-2011

Default remove a cover

when you say remove a cover, you mean the plate at the bottom of the tranny?
Old 06-21-2011

Say Bud... I'm in Austin and might be able to help you. Give me a call. 512.968.3648 Robert
Austin, Texas
Old 06-21-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by thardst1 View Post
Have only recently gotten into understanding my BB. Got the tranny/block issue resolved, now the bird won't start. The negative cable gets very hot on trying to start, even the *** cable gets a little warm. never had any issue with starting til the tranny problem. So I am assuming the back 2 batteries(optima) are the starting batts, and the 2 front are house batts? The rear batteries neg cable is the one getting hot. The engine acts like the batts are dead. Tightened all the connections, installed a new cable to a ***, also there was a *** connection to the threaded bolt on one battery, but that bolt is loose, so I took the connection off and put it on the post connection. Does the loose bolt mean the battery is bad, or is it ok without using the bolt? Any other helpful tips? thanks, Tom
Warm battery cables are indications of high resistance during high load operation. Is the (-) battery cable the same size as the (+) cable? Is the (-) post on the starting motor connected by copper cable to the starting batteries or to the frame? Slow cranking speed can be the result of high circuit resistance or low battery terminal voltage during cranking. What is the battery voltage while cranking the engine?

What am I missing when I see in your post "***"?
Old 06-21-2011

Quote:
What am I missing when I see in your post "***"?
There is a behind the scenes 'bad' word algorithm running. Might be triggering a false positive and replacing an otherwise innocuous word.
Old 06-21-2011
WanderBee

More than likely he posted P.O.S - which in this case is the POSitive cable

P.O.S has another meaning as well. I respect and agree with the profanity guidelines here. But, I frequently think the profanity filters are a bit more aggressive than they need to be.
Pensacola, FL
Old 06-21-2011

Default I meant positive

yes, the filters are working. Positive. I bought a 2 gauge cable because it was the only length avail, so if someone can clarify for me - the pair of batteries to the right as you look at them, are the starting batteries?...and the pair to the left are the house batteries?? or not? thanks, Tom