Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues)

PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your PT or WB model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it....list your PT Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 06-30-2019

Default Engine oil Temperature on 8v92 mechanical

HI all,

During the trip back from Florida I was monitoring the gauges like a hawk and it seemed that the oil temperature would run high- 1988 PT-40 8V92TA mechanical .

I did some reading here and it seems that with a 195-200 F water temp, a 230-240 F oil temp is expected to be ok.

The gauge was changed by somebody a few years back and did not match the dash properly. It is a VDO gauge. So I got in touch with CoachParts Don and got a correct NOS Oil temperature gauge.

Also noticed that when I turned the parking lights on, the needle on both the water temp gauge and oil temp gauge would jump about 20F towards hot.... bad ground I thought ? Checked everything I could see, ran new ground to the gauges, same behavior....need to dig into this more...

Yesterday I did the gauge swap and it does not work as it should....

There are 4 orange wires that come to the Oil Temp gauge.

- One of the wires marked 6-10 goes to the S terminal on the back of the gauge.

- 2 orange wires unmarked, tied together that come from the left nearby water temp gauge's left terminal (marked I) to the I teminal on the Oil temp gauge.
- a 4th orange wire is unmarked ( lost the tag I gues) and was tied to the "I" gauge terminal on the VDO gauge.
I transferred everything to the new gauge as it was on the VDO.

When I turned the key to on, the gauge already showed 130F...engine is cold now, 90F outside ...this is not right.

Started the engine and while at high idle, water temp not even at 140F, the Oil Temp gauge starts climbing and about 6-7 min into the idle run, the gauge already reads 260F....???

So...can anybody confirm for me, please, what orange wires go where on this Oil Temp gauge ? I think that needs to be sorted first to make sure it is wired correctly.

Then, the Oil Temp sender...where would I find it on mechanical 8v92TA the engine, I suspect it is time to put a fresh one on, does anybody have a part number for the sender ? Maybe whomever put the VDO on, put a sender for the VDO that does not match now the old gauge and that that I reverted to a OEM NOS Gauge I have a mismatch ? Or maybe the sender is old and toast...

Anybody run into this before ?

Thank you
Old 06-30-2019

Sender units must match the gage to be accurate.
Not all operate on the same resistance.
Old 06-30-2019

I took the bus for a run to get Propane and while the engine water temp stayed at 190F the Oil temp gauge ( original NOS I just bought) was pegged at over 320F....so definitely the gauge is seeing an incorrect sender signal.

So....I need to find the correct 8v92 sender. Anybody know where this sensor is located ?
Old 06-30-2019

Normal Oil Temperature: 200°-250° All RPM's

Cooling System Temperatures: 170°-195° All RPM's

Engine Oil Temperature Blue/Black (#734)

Oil gauge temperature sensor on my coach is on top of the oil filter

As stated before, the sender and gauge must be a matched set. The gauges and senders on my coach are Teleflex and used the AC Delco senders.
Body #F92929
brhodes51@yahoo.com
Old 06-30-2019

Did some digging and found out that the Teleflex gauge for oil Temp is 9153278 and it needs a 52320S006 sender or Stewart-Warner 280EE-F sender to work properly. Ordered. Will be a few days before it comes and I shall see how it reads then.

Thank you all for the advice.