Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 07-22-2009

Default Uline Ice Maker

The other day, some friendly folks on this forum helped me diagnose and repair a water problem- low-low water pressure and my tank would continue filling even with the Fill switch "Off." Turns out it was a Sporlan valve- and it needed cleaning. After I re-installed, I turned the water back on and Presto! Everything worked great- until I noticed the carpet getting wet in front of the Ice Maker. I pulled the stainless cover off under the machine and cracked the water on again and I could see it spray at the water fill solenoid.

So I get the pliers out and ever so gently tighten it up- and discover it's only finger tight! Cracked the water back on and... drip-drip-drip... from the valve half this time.

Well sh@#!

Hmmm. I can do this. I just "rebuilt" a Sporlan- I can do anything (even if I did put the plunger part in upside down the first time).

So I get out the nut driver and unscrew it and... hmmm... it comes out, bottom hose and all. This ain't good- and it's a corroded mess to boot. So I take it apart and break out the CLR (the remedy for a broke Sporlan). I take the valve apart and soak it for a while, pulling the whole unit out of the cabinet in the meantime.

The line between the solenoid/valve assembly and the ice cube tray part is dry rotted, cooked, and brittle- and Kathleen just happens to have a roll of plastic tubing in the garage (what a girl!)- twenty feet, actually- and a 3 foot piece already cut- perfect. It cooked in the section that routes near the compressor- and there's really no other place to put it- so I wrap it in insulated heat reflective tape (ask me how I just happen to have a roll in the garage- Kathleen again!) so it'll last longer than just 27 years this time (it's an 82 model). I put the valve back together again and reinstall it, changing the water inlet washer with a new rubber washer from my collection...

Got it all installed back in the cabinet again and crack the water on and... it sprays like a lawn sprinkler!

How come it's always gotta be like that?

It's spraying at the valve seams- so I really put the tight on them- but Nope, ain't gonna work. So I take it apart and hope I had it wrong- but Nope, it's not in backwards or upside down or inside out. Diagnosis: The rubber valve body is just so old and brittle- and they designed it so the valve body itself IS the gasket between the two halves... so the mission changes...

There's something that looks like it'll work on eBay- but it's $36.00 + shipping. Huh?

There's another one, looks just like the one I got- except where the water inlet screws on it's a different size- and where the water outlet screws on- it's a push on- but hey, it's $10 + shipping- better keep looking. I keep going back- $10. Plus shipping. Surely i can make it work...

Kathleen says "I bet my washing machine parts company has it" (she has some coin laundry's). i call them up and Nope, they don't- but Uline BI 45? Yeah, try these folks- they've got all the Uline stuff...

I'm thinking "Motherlode".

So I call them up and "Man, that's too old to be on the computer- give me a minute and let me check the book." A few minutes later and Yep, they got it, yeah, they'll ship, yes, I can just drive down and pick it up, and No, I'm not kidding- it's $21 + tax.

Long story done now- screwed right in, hooked right up, and now- I got Ice. I got Lots of Ice. I got Loads of Ice. It's 104 degrees in Texas. I am one happy feller.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0064.JPG
Views:	295
Size:	151.4 KB
ID:	2433   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0067.JPG
Views:	271
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	2434   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0069.JPG
Views:	232
Size:	151.7 KB
ID:	2435   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0070.JPG
Views:	258
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	2436   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0077.JPG
Views:	224
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	2437   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0078.JPG
Views:	257
Size:	192.7 KB
ID:	2438   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0080.JPG
Views:	263
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	2439   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0083.JPG
Views:	249
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	2440   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0088.JPG
Views:	234
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	2441  
Get a free night
(Only in your Wanderlodge!)
@
www.TexasStarRVranch.com
Old 07-22-2009

So spill the beans, Glenn!! Who is this great Uline parts place and what's their contact info?

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 07-22-2009

Oopps- Knew I forgot something! http://www.apdepot.com/index.asp

Appliance Parts Depot
www.apdepot.com

4754 Almond Ave
Dallas, TX 75247-6402
(214) 431-4884
Get a free night
(Only in your Wanderlodge!)
@
www.TexasStarRVranch.com
Old 07-22-2009

Thanks!

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 07-23-2009
Forum owner

hey! good job on the fix,i keep telling people that the guys on this site can fix anything!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 07-23-2009

I replaced the water valve in my ice maker a couple months ago with a universal valve I got from a local appliance parts supplier. It cost me $20.37. I think that ice maker makes more ice than my big refrigerator in my house. Dumps a tray of cubes every 20 minutes.

THE SHORT BUS
(She's Just a Little Slow)
Old 07-23-2009
Complete Greenhorn

We shall call you "Yoda of the IceMaker"

Mine needs fixed too - you make house calls?

Seriously, it hums but no cold and no water. At least it doesn't leak (last I checked). Seems that way on many things if they are not run regularly. One part malfunctions, then the thing does not get used and other stuff on the system dies of disuse and it gets to be a multiple problem troubleshooting challenge.

1979 FC33 Buddy Luce's bus (looking for a name)

LARGE MARGE - She left me for another man
Old 07-23-2009
Can't re-member

In the best scenerio it could be hung up mid cycle. There is one spot in the ice maker cycle that the refrigeration portion is turned off and the ice tray heaters are on in order to free up the ice. On occasion when the ice maker is shut off during that portion of the cycle it will "hang" in that spot and need to be manually cycled to get things going again. One thing to try is to take the plastic cover off of the ice maker mechanism, get some needle nose pliers and with the ice maker turned on physically turn the ice maker through a complete cycle. If that isn't the problem then it could be that it isn't telling itself that ice is made and it needs to start the ejection cycle. In other words the thermostatic switch can and does go bad.
If you take the cover off of the ice maker mechanism itself (the metal one behind the outer plastic cover) there is a small round can like device which is a type of thermostatic switch (I can't remember the real term) which senses when the ice tray is cold enough to start the ice ejection process which in turn starts the water refill cycle. This switch can go bad but its not too hard to replace. Any local appliance parts dealer has a replacement, its pretty universal. If this is the route that you have to go, while in there go ahead and replace all of the micro switches also. They are cheap and the same appliance dealer has them. The most difficult part of this job is replacing the switch and keeping the wires short. They all have to tuck back in place neatly or else either you can't get the metal cover back on or else they will hang up things inside.
While I mention all of this, a quick note to anyone rebuilding their old ice maker. The motor in these units runs at 3rpm whereas a household motor is 1rpm. They look identical and you can easily install the 1 rpm and not know anybetter. What will happen is that it will over fill the ice trays with water because the fill portion of the cycle lasts 3 times too long due to the 1 rpm motor. I learned this tidbit the hard way. The motor is the one item you will need to get from U-line. Most everything else can be bought at an appliance parts place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanibel View Post
We shall call you "Yoda of the IceMaker"

Mine needs fixed too - you make house calls?

Seriously, it hums but no cold and no water. At least it doesn't leak (last I checked). Seems that way on many things if they are not run regularly. One part malfunctions, then the thing does not get used and other stuff on the system dies of disuse and it gets to be a multiple problem troubleshooting challenge.

John Stiles
1980 33FC
"My Navion". SOLD
Stockbridge, GA
Old 07-23-2009

Default U Line Icemaker

I didn't look it up but as I recall there is another pretty long thread on the forum about U-lines if anyone wants more information

Lee - 423-292-5767 or Jacque 423-262-9569
or lnjdavis@gmail.com Please call or email instead of private messages

1995 BMC 37
300 HP Cummins 6CTA 8.3 Turbocharged Diesel
Boldly Going Nowhere
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/index.cfm #117
Old 07-23-2009
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Davis View Post
I didn't look it up but as I recall there is another pretty long thread on the forum about U-lines if anyone wants more information
Lee,

I don't think that it will take that much to find that thread as it is listed right down at the bottom of this thread under;

Quote: