Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues)

PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your PT or WB model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it....list your PT Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 09-02-2009

Default Air Compressor question

We have had our Bird House about a week now -- not quite, so we are still trying to figure out what is normal and what isn't.

The air compressor seems to run all the time -- even when we are not using anything and we are parked. Is this normal or should it cycle off and on? If it isn't normal, what do we look for to fix it?

Thanks in advance.
Mike and Jana
1989PT40WB
Old 09-02-2009

Hi Jana,
Is the main compressor or the toilet compressor that is running all the time. John put in a switch in the bathroom for the toilet one. Looks just like a stock switch would look in the plate. We have a switch on the dash for the main compressor. We are still getting used to our coach, also. Been in it for three months now, about 3,000 miles.
Millenium Edition
Ocean Park, WA
Old 09-02-2009

Default air compressor

Don't know -- didn't know there was a switch for the toilet -- the flapper doesn't seal very well that I do know -- will check that out. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 09-02-2009

Jana,

Do you have an air operated toilet? If so, it's probably a Microphor (www.microphor.com). They have a pretty good website with lots of info about maintaining your toilet. The flapper assembly does need regular (every 2-3yr) maintenance to keep properly working. Their site talks about all of that, as well as allows you to order what ever parts you might need to keep it in tip top shape. The compressor for that toilet does not usually have an on/off switch, though many of us have added them- I have. Until I get all the air leaks stopped, I'm just turning mine off when I'm not using it.

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 09-02-2009

On our 96, there is an "air compressor master" switch on the instrument panel. It activates the 110v auxiliary compressor to air up the suspension, operate the dump valves and probably a thing or two I don't know about yet. If that switch is on and we have 110v current (either plugged in or generator running) it will run. I don't think I have ever left it on long enough to reach a shut off point-and I believe I have a leak or check valve problem with that compressor. The compressor is in the 3rd bay driver side, aft of the AquaHot.
Old 09-02-2009

Bill,

I have the same compressor. It takes a LONG time for it to get to a shut off point. Mine typically stops at just under 90 psi, but since my coach leaks enough to be down to about 30 psi overnight, the auxillary compressor will run for about 15 minutes before shutting off. I only use it if I want to be quiet or I'm inside and don't want to start the engine. It airs up the main air tanks, so anything that works of those tanks is affected by the auxillary compressor (brakes, dumps, suspension, etc).

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 09-02-2009

Default Mike says thanks

Mike says thanks -- he didn't know about the master switch.

So this is supposed to cycle on and off, right? (that is my question, not Mike's--cause I don't understand)
Old 09-02-2009

John, I have the same compressor. It has a max of about 100 psi so the pressure switch is set to turn off around 90 psi and on around 60 psi, if memory serves. You can adjust it somewhat.

On my coach, after finding as many leaks as I could, the pressure will drop to about 60 psi overnight IF I HAVE NOT DUMPED THE AIRBAGS. If the airbags have been dumped, I lose it all in an hour or two. I think I and maybe several others have a leaky check valve somewhere. Anybody know where it is and how to repair or replace it?
Old 09-03-2009
Tommy Two Shoes

You definitely have air leaks for it to run constantly. Initially, it will take 15 to 30 minutes to air up suspension, air valves, air ride seats, stepwell cover, etc. After finding most of the leaks, mine will shut off for hours before cycling for a couple of minutes.

If it is the Microphor compressor that runs, you might need a new tank. Mine had rusted on the bottom and broke a hole through requiring replacement.

Tommy 'Two Shoes' McCarthy

GoneAway
2006 M450LXI
Gardnerville, NV
Near South Lake Tahoe in the Carson Valley
Old 09-03-2009

My toliet air compressor may run 3 to 5 minutes when I flush the toliet. It will usually only run once per day, it the toliet is not used.

My 110 volt air compressor will run every 30 minutes for 10 minutes, however, I have leaks in my aux. air systems. I normally leave it off, because it disturbs my neighbors. One of these days, I will attempt to find my aux. air leaks. Aux air runs things like steps, etc.

If it is your toliet air compressor running all the time, then you will burn up the pump. It will run all the time if the pump is bad and not pumping air pressure. It is a very light duty pump and can not be run continiously.

Yesmar@fairpoint.net
Eight 5 zero four four 7 one 7 zero zero
1994 Wanderlodge (sold)
2000 LXI (sold)
1993 Wanderlodge(Sold)
2004 M380 (FOR SALE)
1997 Marathon