Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:

Old 02-10-2010

Default Mattress

The Wife just informed me that we need a new mattress. I kind of like the way it wraps around and makes me feel hugged. (The mattress not the Wife). Is it best just to go local or buy one off the INTERNET? Sleep #, Memory Foam, Inner Spring there are so many choices. Perhaps I need to rip that old stuff out and use a folding cot and sleeping
bag. Suggestions?
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 02-10-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
The Wife just informed me that we need a new mattress. I kind of like the way it wraps around and makes me feel hugged. (The mattress not the Wife). Is it best just to go local or buy one off the INTERNET? Sleep #, Memory Foam, Inner Spring there are so many choices. Perhaps I need to rip that old stuff out and use a folding cot and sleeping
bag. Suggestions?
Lots of choices, Rick, that is for sure. We bought a Sleep Number mattress with 2 controls, one control for each of us. This mattress is a Queen size, 60" X 80". An RV size queen is available - 60" X 73"- but I didn't want that as Jack would have had his feet hanging over the end.

Our Sleep Number has worked very well for us.

Regards,
Liz
Lone Star Corral SKP park
Dhanis, Republic of Texas
SKPs
Liz
CORRAL NEWS Editor
www.lonestarcorral.com
Old 02-10-2010

FYI: Sam's Club is having a Presidents Day sale through this Monday on mattresses.
1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad
Old 02-10-2010

Hey Rick, We all got person problems. Don't clog up the forum with these types of issues . Just kiddin. My wife has been telling me for years that we need a new mattress at home. She now sleeps in another room. That's how I solved my problem, you have to figure out what works for you. (You could leave her at home) . final answer

The problem with mattresses for RV's is they are often odd sized. Measure the thing and see if you can buy thru a regular mattress outlet. If it is in fact odd sized then go to a boat or RV custom mattress site on line and order what you need.

I believe the mattress in my PT is a standard queen but not certain. The twins in my FC where definitely custom order items. Not hard to do but it's gonna cost more. Google custom mattress and you'll get all the info you need.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 02-10-2010

I have had good luck going to a local manufacturer (in Denton, TX) for customized mattresses. (You have at least one near-by in Harrison: http://www.harnessmattress.com/)

Cost was 1/2 of "discounted" retail, and included special features and RV-appropriate sizes. In my case I wanted foam-type, and was able to select a seven-layer stack to get the desired firmness and support.

My '85 PT had a king-sized bed and my '87 has a queen. I had mattresses for each made with a central hinge which eased installation and handling (eg, getting it into the coach, making the bed or accessing the plumbing underneath.)

M.R.Kane
1987 PT40
currently Terrell, TX
Old 02-10-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkane View Post
I have had good luck going to a local manufacturer (in Denton, TX) for customized mattresses. (You have at least one near-by in Harrison: http://www.harnessmattress.com/)

Cost was 1/2 of "discounted" retail, and included special features and RV-appropriate sizes. In my case I wanted foam-type, and was able to select a seven-layer stack to get the desired firmness and support.

My '85 PT had a king-sized bed and my '87 has a queen. I had mattresses for each made with a central hinge which eased installation and handling (eg, getting it into the coach, making the bed or accessing the plumbing underneath.)

M.R.Kane
1987 PT40
currently Terrell, TX
Thanks for the tip. We have in the past used Harness. They make a good product that last it seams forever. The mattress we have on our bed at home was made by them twenty years ago. Might need a new one there also.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 02-10-2010
Former Bird Owner

The OEM queen size mattress in our coach might have seen better days, but wasn't totally worn out. I purchased a 4 inch 'space foam' mattress topper from an eBay merchant for under $100. It did not have ticking (fabric covering), but that allowed me to cut it to fit over the RV "queen" size OEM mattress. Then a mattress pad and fitted sheet served to hold every thing together.

It was a satisfying solution.

One note. Space foam holds body heat extremely well. Some people find it "too warm" after laying on it for awhile. It's definitely a different feeling than a regular mattress or even the old fashioned foam mattresses. We adjusted quite well to it, and it allowed us to leave the heat off during the night (or set at a very low temperature in the coldest weather) -- the bedroom would drop to 50-55 degrees -- yet with a couple of quilts, we were plenty warm.

I liked the space foam (and it's weird heat benefit) so much that I got one for our home, too.

But, this is an acquired taste -- some folks find the space foam really irritating. For maximum benefit from the foam, get at least a 3 or 4 inch thickness. The thinner ones don't have enough thickness to give you the full benefit of the space foam advantages (less pressure on pressure points) unless you're really tiny...

If you're thinking of getting a full space foam mattress, starting with a relatively inexpensive "topper" gives you a fair assessment -- and later on you can spring for the full TempurPedic if you're satisfied with the topper and the underlying base mattress is ready for replacement. (Note, even the expensive TempurPedic only uses about 4" of the 'space' foam.)

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com
Old 02-10-2010
Forum owner

you can always add a little to the bed platform,if a mattress is a little too big.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 02-10-2010
Geek

I've had air beds, at home and on the road, for more than six years. I didn't see the point of the number system - just inflate until if feels right - so ours have come from Bear Beds, http://www.bearbeds.com

We have the (equivalent of, models have changed) deluxe. Note that they have both standard and short queens and will do custom sizes.
Prior: 2004 M380 Double Slide
Prior: 1990 WB40 "Blue Thunder"
My location: www.bbirdmaps.com/user2.cfm?user=1
Old 03-06-2010

We just replaced our 22 year old mattress. Had a local shop custom make it. Short queen with extra support on sides from where we will crawl in. $400 but very nice.
Brooks, GA
Kip Cindy & Cody
678-523-7920