Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine

Engine Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's engine.

Site Search:

Old 05-15-2010

Default CHECK ENGINE LIGHT / CRUISE CONTROL PROBLEM

Hi all, this is Bill:
Vad and others are keeping you all informed on most of the things happening on our trip home.
Actually, all in all, "HER" coach is absolutely wonderful.
The biggest problem is the "check engine" light.

The check engine light will come on and off intermittently. I have been trying to find some sort of reason why this is happening. On three occasions, while on cruise control, speed drops and engine RPM lowers with speed, I try to throttle up and there is nothing there. I have to hit the brake pedal as the cruise on/off switch will not turn the cruise off, then I hit the on/off switch, and after this stage, I can feel the air coming back into the throttle.
Once I have the air back into the throttle, the engine responds and we continue on our merry way.

While operating on cruise, I do have control of the throttle if I want to go faster, I speed up and then release the throttle to go back to the set cruise - like this all seems to be working normally.

Yes, we are having a great trip, thanks to all the wonderful folks we have met on the way, small issues have been fixed, makes it much easier as they know where to get the parts LOL.
Many thanks to Randy, to getting the coach ready or travel and updating the necessary items, like the hoses and batteries.

John, if you think we should have this under a seperate post, go ahead and start one and we will continue with it. Thanks.
$QUANDERLODGE lll ???

This somewhat birdless potter has a SHINY BRAND NEW KILN in her future

Kitimat,BC EH?
Blog : http://tulipvendor50.blogspot.ca

Old 05-15-2010
Forum Moderator

Bill do a search using CANNON PLUG. These plugs do cause problems like you are describing. Use a magnifying glass and strong light when checking for burnt or corroded pins
Old 05-15-2010
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vad_007 View Post
Hi all, this is Bill:
I have been trying to find some sort of reason why this is happening. On three occasions, while on cruise control, speed drops and engine RPM lowers with speed, I try to throttle up and there is nothing there. I have to hit the brake pedal as the cruise on/off switch will not turn the cruise off, then I hit the on/off switch, and after this stage, I can feel the air coming back into the throttle.
Once I have the air back into the throttle, the engine responds and we continue on our merry way.

While operating on cruise, I do have control of the throttle if I want to go faster, I speed up and then release the throttle to go back to the set cruise - like this all seems to be working normally.
Bill & Vadie.

I think you may have the Bendix, air throttle & criuse control system.
If so, there are drawings in the files, there are air operated valves,
several opportunities for a sticky O ring or 12volt air solenoids.
Old 05-15-2010
Forum owner

I'm sure Vadies coach is a drive by wire DDeck setup.
I was thinking DonB had a problem like this and it was his TPS (throttle position sensor).

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 05-16-2010
Administrator

Yep, Could be that lectronic stuff
this may be the TPC at the foot throttle where all the dirt collects.??
Old 05-16-2010

Hi Bill & Vadie:

Start by inspecting each of the 4 connectors at the CA-1 module (micropressor).

Service the CC-5 air cylinder and associated potentiometer, (blue thing on end of air cylinder) and be sure the throttle cable is free of excess slack and operates freely.

You may be having an intermittent brake control signal (toad related?). An erroneous brake signal will cancel the cruise until the 'resume switch is reset.

Also the Bendix CC will 'drop out' if coach speed drops approx 20 mph below the 'set' cruise control speed, i.e. 'over fueling' for too long and the CC will automatically 'drop out'.

Low voltage to the CA-1 (or marginal voltage) can cause a relay to drop. Insure that full voltage 12V+ is getting to the CA-1...and do a 12V relay mod if necessary. Make sure the ignition switch is not carrying excess heavy loads (not overheating).

Air supply dumping overboard through the Bendix TR-3 inversion valve also will shut down the cruise. Valves are cheap, and do not last forever.

Check for loose connections on the proximity switch, (near the notched RR brake drum) for the Speed Sensor.

Insure integrity of all electrical connections and electrical bundles (use lots of zip ties).

I copied the link to the Bendix Training Manual below.

http://www.patrick-irish-wolfhound.c...nual_Parts.pdf

Bill...if your coach does not have the Bendix, fergit everything I posted. rcg
SOLD 89 FC in 2012; SOLD 88 WB in 2016
Rolla, MO 65401

Last edited by giderich; 05-16-2010 at 08:28 AM. Reason: added disclaimer
Old 05-16-2010

Wow Dick That is a lot of info. I have a simular issue. When cruising and I let off the throttle or the cruise lets off the throttle my check engine comes on until the throttle is reapplied. Do I have the same issue? It's going to take me some time to understand all that you wrote!
Brooks, GA
Kip Cindy & Cody
678-523-7920
Old 05-16-2010

Kip: the items on my list are just some of the things that can go wrong; you may wish to compare your symptoms to my list and gradually check off the things which do not apply. Mainly, be careful to do no harm...some of items mentioned a quite fragile. If you have a Bendix...the potentiometer on the back of the CC-5 cylinder, (that blue thing) is very expensive...~$290, if you break it. Look for oxidized electrical connections, damaged wires, air leaks etc. Without physically inspecting your system, it's impossible to know the exact conditon...trust your instincts.
Rolla, MO 65401
Old 05-16-2010

Dick, as I understand your post, most items relate to the cruise. Mine is working fine except that tapping the brake doesn't not disengage it. I haven't checked but I think it probably has something to do with the brake light switch. My concern is the check engine light momentarily coming on on decereration. Mine might be a completely different problem and I don't want to hiJack this thread. Bill just stated in his original post that the check engine light was coming on and I thought they might be related
Brooks, GA
Kip Cindy & Cody
678-523-7920
Old 05-16-2010

Default TR-3 Inversion Valve (Cruise Control)

TR-3 Inversion Valve

"This valve provides pneumatic backup to the electrial brake signal, (stop light switch). The trip pressure is higher than the stop light switch so it takes a higher brake application to operate it. Whenever the brake is pressed hard enough to put approximately 14 PSI into the brake system, the inversion valve will open and exhaust air from the actuator (CC-5). Once the brake pedal is released, the TR-3 closes, allowing the system to regain pressure. Since the brake electrical signal is ignored in Throttle mode, system disengagement only occurs during the time that the brake pedal is depressed." From the Bendix Cruise Control Training Handbook.

The above paragraph explains why the slightly tapping the brake pedal may turn on the brake lights...but to turn off the Cruise Contol requires a higher brake pedal pressure (14 PSI or more).

The Engine alarm, may or may not be related, since several things can trigger that light.
Rolla, MO 65401