Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > LX and LXI (Unique Issues)

LX and LXI (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your LX or LXI model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it, WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THOSE ISSUES INVOLVED WITH ANY LAWSUIT.....list your LX and LXI Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 09-02-2010

Default Service Brake Issue on our 450LXI

I was encourage to post this on this forum after mentioning it to another group.

I had the 450LXI in for alignment at Kaiser Alignment and Brake in Eugene,OR. After the work was done, the tech took it for a ride. He mentioned that the service brakes do not come on with easy pressure . It takes a lot of movement and pressure for them to engage for a rapid stop.
He said they have seen this before and the fix was to replace a valve stem for the service brakes with a longer stem and then by trial and error grind it down until the right length was found. I had agreed that the brakes took much more movement and pressure to get expected results than our previous BB required.

In our case a longer valve stem (1/8th inch which is very large increase) was the starting point. It turned out we needed it all. The brakes come on with small movement and reduced pressure. In a panic or rapid stop it is great to get a very quick response.

The tech said this was a common problem with some Motorhomes.
"Dream Catcher"
Old 09-03-2010
davidmbrady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubledoc View Post
I was encourage to post this on this forum after mentioning it to another group. <snip, snip,...>
Hi DoubleDoc,

Thanks for the info. For those of us considering an upgrade to an M450, this kind of information is invaluable. I belong to most of the forums and I didn't see this service brake discussion anywhere. So that I might stay informed, where was it discussed?
Old 09-03-2010

Having just changed over from a 43LXi to the M450 LXi in April, the first thing I noticed was how much better the M450 stopped. It seems to have a much shorter stopping distance. I did notice that the brake required a little more pressure but adjusted my foot position to compensate. This fix seems that it will give me the better braking that I am enjoying coupled with less pedal pressure. Thanks. I will print your post for my mechanic.
Old 09-03-2010
ANOTHER REDNECK

where is this part located on the brake pedal or?
Pleasanton Tx 78064
Do not use PM... please use
rwoody@fullnet.net
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=254
http://www.ebay.com/usr/woody19571
F133316 BODY NUMBER
Old 09-03-2010

I believe it is under the brake pedal. That is where they were working. I think there is an air valve under there and the valve stem in that valve is what they replaced with a longer one(1/8th inch longer) They said that was a very large increase and usually have to grind it down 10 mils at a time. Ours took the full 125 mils, and now works great. A good air service brake shop should know more about this than I know.

The other group I was referring to is an e-mail group run by Dan Sunderland, email address 86bluebird@sbcglobal.net. I had sent him an e-mail on this brake issue among other things.
"Dream Catcher"
Old 09-03-2010
cmillsap

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmbrady View Post
Hi DoubleDoc,

Thanks for the info. For those of us considering an upgrade to an M450, this kind of information is invaluable. I belong to most of the forums and I didn't see this service brake discussion anywhere. So that I might stay informed, where was it discussed?
Geez, David,

All that beautiful work on your LXi and your thinking about trading it off now???

Chuck
Old 09-03-2010
davidmbrady

Shhh, just between us... It's my wife's idea...

Thanks Doubledoc.
Old 09-03-2010
cmillsap

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmbrady View Post
Hi DoubleDoc,

I wonder if this upgrade might be applicable to other model 'Birds as well??

Chuck
Old 09-03-2010
ANOTHER REDNECK

that is what i am thinking chuck

my sp to me is a little hard on the brake imo and that is the 1 that counts is ours right
Pleasanton Tx 78064
Do not use PM... please use
rwoody@fullnet.net
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=254
http://www.ebay.com/usr/woody19571
F133316 BODY NUMBER