Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Generators

Generators In this forum we will try to answer any of your questions about the different model generators that can be found on Blue Bird coach's.

Site Search:

Old 1 Week Ago

Default Generator Autostart

I don't have a manual for the auto start. I have a 2000 lxi millennial and a jambed starter (bearings piled up) burned out fuel shutoff solenoid when starter was replaced. Ther is high amps on white wire so I imagine something else is burned out. Ant ideas?
Thanks for any suggestions.
Fred
Old 1 Week Ago
John Wyatt – Administrator/Moderator

Bump
Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4

1991 40' WB ...From 2008 - Present
1984 ½ PT-36 .From 2000 - 2008
1973 FC-31 .....From 1991 - 2001
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by weekdvm View Post
I don't have a manual for the auto start. I have a 2000 lxi millennial and a jambed starter (bearings piled up) burned out fuel shutoff solenoid when starter was replaced. Ther is high amps on white wire so I imagine something else is burned out. Ant ideas?
Thanks for any suggestions.
Fred
NOTE: Fred sent the following via the WOG "Contact US" link rather than posting it here, so... I'm posting it here for him: John Wyatt - Admin.

"I will give you a complete play be play and hope I don't forget something.

Last summer when returning from the south, while we were dry camped in Montana I noticed the generator hadn't started.(I had kind of become used to about how often it should have been coming on. I tried to start it...tried switch in dash and one in radiator compartment but there was no response.....only a click. I presumed the starter was jambed at the flywheel or something. I was advised where there was a mechanic that should be able to do the work of checking into it as he had a contract to work on Thomas built highway buses etc.

Often, I would have disassembled it myself but thought since I am in a strange town and may need supplies/services etc. I chose to do the local thing. He removed the starter from the Kubota diesel engine ( I. believe a 12kw genset) and he went to the local Napa store and between them matched up the starter which came into town the next day. The mechanic installed the new starter and he started the engine, in a few seconds smoke came billowing out of the fuel shut-off solenoid area. By the time it was turned off the white wire was burned off and so was another wire out of the back end of the solenoid. So now I need a new fuel shut solenoid. After a lot of searching and asking it seemed I ordered the correct replacement solenoid.(weeks later and at home). This is a three wire solenoid with the black one to ground, and the white one was the power source. A red wire I didn't connect yet because When I was about to connect the white wire I quickly,momentarily touched the ends and there was a lot of current going through. I then used and ampmeter to see how much current and it was around 60 amps... in my humble opinion too much! I don't know how how many amps should have been there but I presume 7-10 amps should have been closer. I would have thought the solenoid should have had a considerable resistance built in so that I would have had a lower reading? Failing that, I wondered if there was a relay, or some other part that got shorted out and resistance destroyed. I have looked everywhere for a relay or some-such but with no success. The engine will start and run and everthing works I pull the throttle lever till the charging reading is in the correct range so as to not wreck anything electronic. Everything else works fine. Kind of a long story but that is how I got to this point. Thanks for now Fred

I noticed on re-read that I forgot to mention the reason for starter failure was the ball bearings had piled up (I believe in the Bendix) Thus preventing rotation".

Body Number F095567

Old 1 Week Ago

The solenoid has two 12v positive wires and one ground. One is the pull in circuit that is energized when the starter is in the cranking mode, the other is the hold in which should be on whenever the gen is in the run mode. 60 amps seems high to me as well considering the wire size. I would verify your wiring to be sure it's correct. And make sure the new solenoid is correct. You should be able to test it with jumper wires.
Virginia Beach VA
Old 1 Week Ago

Smile

Thanks for your reply,(I hope I am replying in the correct place) . I didn't want to connect directly incase of causing more damage so my next thought is to put a variable resister in that line and increase ohms to where solenoid still works but not a lot of xtra then take an ampere reading to see how many amps it is designed for. I believe this is the start wire, the run wire I believe is red and seems to be a smaller diameter.

Fred
Old 1 Week Ago
Forum owner

Have you contacted Powertech generators in Leesburg Fl about this?
They built the genny and they are still in business and going strong.
I would not add anything to the system,i would figure out what wire was connected wrong when the starter was installed.
Or maybe its the wrong starter?

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 1 Week Ago

None of the existing problems showed up until after the starter change. Correct ? That would tell us that either it is probably the wrong starter or was wired incorrectly on installation. It didn't need any additional resistors or relays to work originally so should not need them now. Like Randy said, call the manuf. to determine if you have the right starter and that the wiring Is correct. That is the next logical step and also the cheapest.
Old 1 Week Ago

Wink

Yes, good points. Good logic says I likely made a pair of poor assumptions. I will let you know how this ends up. Thanks
Old 1 Week Ago

Hi Fred,

As Dave pointed out, the Fuel shutdown solenoid is a dual coil solenoid. The “Pull” coil should only be energized for a brief time and then the “Hold” coil should take over. It sounds like you're keeping the solenoid energized with the “Pull” coil.

Here are the specifications for the Fuel shutdown solenoid on my 15kW Powertech:

33 Amps Pull Current
0.8 Amps Hold Current

Here are the specifications for the Fuel shutdown solenoid that a friend of mine put on his 15kW Powertech:

46 Amps Pull Current
1.1 Amps Hold Current
Body Number F095567

Old 1 Week Ago

Thumbs up

Good information. Meanwhile, I will consult with the manufacturer and see if solenoid I have matches up etc. after I get the serial of the generator.

Fred