Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > General Discussion > New Members

New Members New members to the forum are welcomed here.

Site Search:

Old 08-10-2016

I like the per day idea too.
So if I take Shane's numbers 75K in fuel cost + 120K in maintenance (10k x 12 years) = 195K / 12 years = 16250.00 per year /365 days = 44.50 per day operating costs. This doesn't cover camping fees.
Old 08-10-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlcanuck View Post
So if I take Shane's numbers 75K in fuel cost + 120K in maintenance (10k x 12 years) = 195K / 12 years = 16250.00 per year /365 days = 44.50 per day operating costs. This doesn't cover camping fees.
Is your goal to live as cheaply as possible? Get a Bird? Live as cheaply as possible in a Bird? Just curious as I've never even looked at/worried about cost as I know there are way cheaper solutions.
1984 FC35RB Sold
Old 08-10-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by djlcanuck View Post
Doug- you won't always spend 10K annually, but BE PREPARED to. I use the heck out of our bus. Usually out 10 weeks/year traveling. To keep costs manageable, I would buy the best that you can afford while also being able to maintain most of the systems yourself. For me, that limited my purchase to a Pre-1988 6V or 8V92. Non-DDEC 2-strokers are simple, with no electronics, high-pressure fuel pump or rail system. Rear-Engined CATS tended to run a little warm for my taste and Forward Control coaches were a little tough for a healthy eater like myself to squeeze in and out of.

"Savor the wine of youth, for it is a drink that can be consumed only once”
shanefedeli@gmail.com
717-645-4912
Old 08-14-2016

Default Pilot and Flying J at least $.20 higher

Why are Pilot and Flying J at least $.20 higher than other brands/stations for diesel?

Ed & Carolyn Nowokunski
95BMC37 - Thunderchief
The Great Outdoors (TGO)
Titusville, Florida
Old 08-14-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by thudpilot1 View Post
Why are Pilot and Flying J at least $.20 higher than other brands/stations for diesel?

Someone has to be the "Price Leader". Guess their it.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 08-14-2016
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Flying J used to have good competitive low fuel prices until they were taken over by Pilot, I very rarely stop at either of them now days unless I have to and that is usually only for propane because of the convenience of their propane fill station.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 08-14-2016

Cost of travel can vary, on a recent 4 day trip back to WI from our place in Idaho, driving the F-150, stayed @ Livingston MT, Bismarck ND, and Hudson WI, averaged $175 a nite for rooms. What with the need for restaurants and excessive fuel stops, not to mention public comfort? stations, well I missed the motor home experience a lot.
Germantown, WI/Myrtle ID
www.AutoTransDesign.com

http://s767.photobucket.com/user/mhohnstein/library/
Old 08-14-2016

Quote:
Convenience for large vehicles (large lots, separate auto fueling from truck fillup) and commercial pumps (high volume w/ quick filling), fuel accounts for trucking companies...basically right next to on/off ramps (expensive land), repair facilities/maintenance for heavy trucks, showers, etc....

1994 WB40 and a slow '73 Nova SS
Palomino Valley, NV

Where we are...

Once more I have to ask "What did humans ever do to deserve dogs?"

Map of Service Centers
Old 08-14-2016

I am still a new Bird owner so I don't have the wisdom of the others, but my first trip, we went about 1250 miles round trip averaging 5.5 mpg. When I filled up, it was about $400 ($1.76/gallon). I had a coworker comment about how much I spent on fuel and I broke it down for him.

I took a family of 4 to 4 separate destinations. I spent $400 on fuel, $200 on groceries, $100 on restaurants and $100 on RV parks for a total of $800 for an 6 nights, 7 days. Had I driven the same distance in any of our vehicles, it would have been $100. I can't imagine that I would have spent less than $100 per day feeding 4 people (probably closer to $150) plus say $100 per night hotel for a total of not less than $1400 for the same trip.

This does not include that the drive to the destinations was part of the vacation. There was no "are we there yet"! While I was driving my wife and kids were playing games or just looking out the picture windows at the amazing views. Was it painless? No, we learned about fuel filters that first trip, but we met a fellow WOGer along the way.

We are on our return home from our second big trip. We had some challenges, but the group here came to my side with awesome advice and support.

I did a LOT of research before I bought my Bird. The number one item on my list was the safety of my family and I found no other vehicle that has the safety record of these machine. Not by a mile!

Regards,

Diego
Old 08-14-2016
Senior Moments

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamflagman View Post
Flying J used to have good competitive low fuel prices until they were taken over by Pilot,
If you can't compete with your competition, just take them over... Problem solved.

John & Aleda Ellsworth
A wide-body, living in a narrow bus.
1985 FC-35-SB "Color Us Gone"
john.m.ellsworth@gmail.com