Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 02-14-2019

Default no start 8v92

during this hated winter up north and the bus in storage, i have having a unique no starting problem.
1- i know that i lose fuel prime, and ave a algae fuel problem, not the reason for no start at this time. i have installed a new fuel filter before RACOR filter, y because i was able to pull from work 2 cases of fuel filters since they where being thrown out. i also got a new check valve, same way.. from work. i have added the 3rd filter since the algie growth just to produce a bit cleaner fuel to the engine. i rebuilt the racor filter housing.

now here is what i am getting to
every week since i put her into storage she has a parasitic amp draw, within a week her batteries are dead, so since i was doing some inside cabinet lighting i needs a outside power sorce. hence a 30 amp gennny. a westinghouse genny 3600 with 30 amp plug, more than enough to charge batteries and a small electric 1500 watt heater set at mid level. all thru dec an jan, both batteries bank will be getting charged and i would start both engines.
so here is the no start problem. same routine, but there is no charge at the start battery bank. there is no power for the 12 side of the dash engine systems.
i do have power to this relay on the left pole, and a few circuit breakers.

so in theory
1 i have power to the battery charger, i dont know where that is located, it goes to the house bank and eng bank. but where. is the main connection?
2 at swtch gets its power from engine bank?
3 where can i find a diagram on the location of the each relay and soleniod for example i have 3 12v soleniods mounter right next to each other on my chassis, so what does each one operate?
my wiring diagrams, 2 extra large 1 showing main load lower front, i beleave thats the front electrical access in the front cover correct?
the other huge diagram is master wiring chassis DDEC II
my other diagrams booket is a bit small for me to read, is there a way to get a better diagrams for this?
i can read a MCI IO control drawing but i am having to hard time
reading my own...lol
thanks for all help as always
1987 Vanagon camper (toad)
just to remind me on why I got a BB
Old 02-14-2019

Is the Aux Battery switch moved to the left in order to charge the "start batteries"? The start batteries will not charge if the Aux Battery switch is not in the correct position.
SOLD 89 FC in 2012; SOLD 88 WB in 2016
Rolla, MO 65401
Old 02-14-2019

I suggest you "fully" charge the start batteries and after fully charged, perform a load test on each of the start batteries. You have probably 'killed' the batteries by not keeping them fully charged and fully depleting them is not a good thing either. Be prepare to purchase new start batteries.

On final thing, do not attempt to start the 8v92 without preheating.
SOLD 89 FC in 2012; SOLD 88 WB in 2016
Rolla, MO 65401
Old 02-14-2019

Open the engine gate, grab top of fiberglass bumper, stretch arms fully out, under right hand on inside face of the bumper are three self resetting fuses. Replace them
Old 02-16-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by giderich View Post
Is the Aux Battery switch moved to the left in order to charge the "start batteries"? The start batteries will not charge if the Aux Battery switch is not in the correct position.
giderich- yes the switch is in that position. the entire battery bank start and coach will be replace this summer, these Duracell batteries are not"the copper top" . they will be switched to lifeline agm or when i hit the lottery lithium...

I did go to fed ex office and had my electrical diagrams enlarged and cleaned up. the lay was able to get them so she would be able to read them she was awesome . so while i was waiting, meet a guy who could redo all the drawings thru his cad system for $130.oo per page. it will be nice to see the color of the wiring and sizes.

so by doing so and a few hours found the eaton solenoid is not working. dissemble it.. what a mess, rot ,rust, even after trying to rebuild it was not going to work. the contacts inside where to far damaged

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregOC View Post
Open the engine gate, grab top of fiberglass bumper, stretch arms fully out, under right hand on inside face of the bumper are three self resetting fuses. Replace them
GregOC - are you talking about the fuses behind the racor filter bowl( see photo) , if so they have been replaced during the previous owner who was having trouble at Holland coach in MI
1987 Vanagon camper (toad)
just to remind me on why I got a BB

Last edited by mlf; 02-16-2019 at 07:35 AM.
Old 02-16-2019

did you replace the solenoid? Problem fixed?

You may not have a separate battery charger if your inverter has been replaced with a modern one. Instead you would have an inverter/charger.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 02-17-2019
John Wyatt – Administrator/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlf View Post
during this hated winter up north and the bus in storage, i have having a unique no starting problem.
1- i know that i lose fuel prime, and ave a algae fuel problem, not the reason for no start at this time. i have installed a new fuel filter before RACOR filter, y because i was able to pull from work 2 cases of fuel filters since they where being thrown out. i also got a new check valve, same way.. from work. i have added the 3rd filter since the algie growth just to produce a bit cleaner fuel to the engine. i rebuilt the racor filter housing.

now here is what i am getting to
every week since i put her into storage she has a parasitic amp draw, within a week her batteries are dead, so since i was doing some inside cabinet lighting i needs a outside power sorce. hence a 30 amp gennny. a westinghouse genny 3600 with 30 amp plug, more than enough to charge batteries and a small electric 1500 watt heater set at mid level. all thru dec an jan, both batteries bank will be getting charged and i would start both engines.
so here is the no start problem. same routine, but there is no charge at the start battery bank. there is no power for the 12 side of the dash engine systems.
i do have power to this relay on the left pole, and a few circuit breakers.

so in theory
1 i have power to the battery charger, i dont know where that is located, it goes to the house bank and eng bank. but where. is the main connection?
2 at swtch gets its power from engine bank?
3 where can i find a diagram on the location of the each relay and soleniod for example i have 3 12v soleniods mounter right next to each other on my chassis, so what does each one operate?
my wiring diagrams, 2 extra large 1 showing main load lower front, i beleave thats the front electrical access in the front cover correct?
the other huge diagram is master wiring chassis DDEC II
my other diagrams booket is a bit small for me to read, is there a way to get a better diagrams for this?
i can read a MCI IO control drawing but i am having to hard time
reading my own...lol
thanks for all help as always
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlf View Post
giderich- yes the switch is in that position. the entire battery bank start and coach will be replace this summer, these Duracell batteries are not"the copper top" . they will be switched to lifeline agm or when i hit the lottery lithium...

I did go to fed ex office and had my electrical diagrams enlarged and cleaned up. the lay was able to get them so she would be able to read them she was awesome . so while i was waiting, meet a guy who could redo all the drawings thru his cad system for $130.oo per page. it will be nice to see the color of the wiring and sizes.

so by doing so and a few hours found the eaton solenoid is not working. dissemble it.. what a mess, rot ,rust, even after trying to rebuild it was not going to work. the contacts inside where to far damaged

GregOC - are you talking about the fuses behind the racor filter bowl( see photo) , if so they have been replaced during the previous owner who was having trouble at Holland coach in MI
Hi Mark,

WOG member Kurt Horvath uploaded most of the 95 WB drawings to the WOG Database about 7 years ago:

https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.c...5&postcount=17
Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4

1991 40' WB ...From 2008 - Present
1984 ½ PT-36 .From 2000 - 2008
1973 FC-31 .....From 1991 - 2001
Old 02-17-2019

Systems are more like a 91 to 94 than a 95 . Most 95 were series 60 power. Bat chargers in my 94 were in pass bay foront of fuel fill. inverter was iabove pattery tray in a box. I replaced inverter with a inverter charger. Bus was stored indoors plugged in the 12 years I had it. They dont build wanderlodge and prevost conversions to sit long without hookups the big load draws can be found in bay under the driver. I replaced them with blue sea breaker switches after they caused a fire .