Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 03-21-2017

Thanks for clearing that up by talking to DPS. That's who we should believe.
1996 Geo Tracker "Hummingbird" a.k.a. Hummer
Old 03-21-2017

You can go here and download your inspection report http://www.mytxcar.org/txcar_net/SecurityCheck.aspx

You'll notice below the computer pulled back my GVWR as 31000lbs (I didn't supply that info)

It would be interesting to see if it looks like mine which is below (copy/pasted as best I can..I x'd out my vin/lic)

Vehicle Test Detail Click Here To Print
Station ID: 6P40739 Station Name: STICKER EXPRESS, LLC Overall Result: Pass
TAS Id: ES022595 Test Type: Safety Only TX DOT #:
Test Date: 08/30/2016 Safety Result: Pass Waiver Number:
Test Start Time: 11:47:31 Emission Result: Reg Free Code: 1YR
Test End Time: 11:49:32 Gap Cap Result: Test Record No.: 9425
VIN: XXX License Plate: XXX
Model Year: 1995 Make: M007 License Type: Texas Plate
Vehicle Type: Motor Home Body Style: Model: MOTORHORN
Engine Size: Trans. Type: No. Cylinders:
GVWR Type: Heavy Act. GVWR: 31000 Odometer: 0
Fuel Type: DIESEL Ignition Type:
Dual Exhaust:
Inject Carburetion: Decal No.:
Sticker No.: Inspection Expiration Date:
Gas Cap Result 1: Gas Cap 1 Testable: Gas Cap 1 Missing:
Gas Cap Result 2: Gas Cap 2 Testable: Gas Cap 2 Missing:
Safety Test Information
Safety Test: Initial Type: 1 Yr. Windshield (Safety Only)
Horn: Pass Exhaust: Pass School Buses:
Windshield Wipers: Pass Emissions System: Pass School Bus Signs:
Mirrors: Pass Beam Indicator: Pass Fire Extinguisher:
Steering System: Pass Tail Lamp: Pass Hazard Warning Lights:
Seat Belts: Pass Stop Lamp: Pass Convex Crossover Mirror:
Service Brake System: Pass License Plate Lamp: Pass Mud Flaps/Safety Guards:
Parking Brake System: Pass Rear Reflector: Pass Window Tint/Sun Screen: Pass
Tires: Pass Turn Signals: Pass Back-up Lamps:
Steering Axle Tires: Turn Sig/Ind Lamp: Pass Coupling Devices:
All Other Tires: Headlamps: Pass Fuel System:
Wheel Assembly: Pass Clearance Lamps: Suspension:
Master Cylinder: Pass Side Marker Lamps: Frame:
Cab Lamps: Windshield:
Side Reflectors: Reflective Tape:
Repair Information
Repair Group:
Repairs Performed:
Repair Cost YIS: $0.00 Rep.ID:
Repair Cost NRF: $0.00 Safety VI30A:
Repair Cost RRF: $0.00
Total Parts Cost MSP: $0.00
Overall Repair Costs: $0.00
Total Emission Costs: $0.00
Total Safety Costs: $7.00
Overall Costs: $7.00
1984 FC35RB Sold
Old 03-21-2017
Gardner

Got all of my New Jersey stuff out of the way.

Licence- no special licence or endorsements for RV's
Inspection-None for RV's
Same for my 1995 Jeep, not even an emissions test for 95 and older gas vehicles.

So if you see a NJ RV, the driver is likely ignorant of air brake usage and no official safety inspection has been done!!!

But I took the time to learn about air brakes and I do keep up on maintenance and inspect things regularly. So if you see me on the road all is good.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 03-21-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcyeaw View Post
Got all of my New Jersey stuff out of the way.

Licence- no special licence or endorsements for RV's
Inspection-None for RV's
Same for my 1995 Jeep, not even an emissions test for 95 and older gas vehicles.

So if you see a NJ RV, the driver is likely ignorant of air brake usage and no official safety inspection has been done!!!

But I took the time to learn about air brakes and I do keep up on maintenance and inspect things regularly. So if you see me on the road all is good.
It's the same in Indiana Gardner. My father-in-law, who is 88 and shuffles his feet, like Tim Conway, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_AwOIs2buE and acts about the same, is legal to drive my coach, because he has a valid D.L. Not sure why he has a valid license, but the BMV said he is good to drive

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN
Old 09-07-2019
Knows Very Little

Default What do they inspect on *your* bus?

I know that there are a few Texans on the WOG... and I'm wondering whether my inspection experiences this year are unique or common.

When we returned to Texas in January, I knew we had to have it inspected within a few days of returning to the state (I renewed the registration with it being out of state), so we stopped at an inspection station I had found in Houston (I looked on Google Maps and it appeared to have a large enough lot that I could pull in). I went into the shop and asked if I needed to disconnect the Jeep - no, I didn't, but they needed the mileage in addition to the registration and insurance. The inspector guy walked with me back to Miss Doozie, stood at the door while I got the mileage, then walked back to the shop, and in a few minutes, said that my inspection was ready. Uhm, okay... this was during the time that Dwayne was sick, and so I was thankful that it was easy.

Since I'm now *in* Texas, I need to get the inspection done prior to renewing the registration, so I took it today to a shop near where I'm staying in Dallas. In a similar way, I gave the guy my registration, insurance, and mileage. He probably did not get within 20' of the bus. In just a few minutes, he came back to the bus with the papers, and said that it was $7 for the inspection and it had passed.

So, fellow Texans, is this normal? Previously, we have had the bus inspected as part of being serviced at National Indoor RV, so I haven't been with the bus when it was being inspected... but I certainly thought that they would check the lights, or look at the tread on the tires, or *something*! I did have some folks here at the RV park help me check out the lights last week; they had to clean the contacts on one of the brake lights, but the lights were all working on Thursday. And the tread on the tires is great - maybe that could be seen from 20' away? And, I guess they saw the running lights on when I drove up? I'm not wanting to look a gift horse in the mouth, but it just seems odd to me!
cellphone: 214-952-9415
Patti@Cartwright.net
http://trekincartwrights.blogspot.com/

Current location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user2.cfm?user=421
Old 09-07-2019

I have been going to Southern Tire in Austin for the last few years. They check the lights and inspect tires, etc. What you would expect.

Diego
Old 09-09-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattic777 View Post
I know that there are a few Texans on the WOG... and I'm wondering whether my inspection experiences this year are unique or common.

When we returned to Texas in January, I knew we had to have it inspected within a few days of returning to the state (I renewed the registration with it being out of state), so we stopped at an inspection station I had found in Houston (I looked on Google Maps and it appeared to have a large enough lot that I could pull in). I went into the shop and asked if I needed to disconnect the Jeep - no, I didn't, but they needed the mileage in addition to the registration and insurance. The inspector guy walked with me back to Miss Doozie, stood at the door while I got the mileage, then walked back to the shop, and in a few minutes, said that my inspection was ready. Uhm, okay... this was during the time that Dwayne was sick, and so I was thankful that it was easy.

Since I'm now *in* Texas, I need to get the inspection done prior to renewing the registration, so I took it today to a shop near where I'm staying in Dallas. In a similar way, I gave the guy my registration, insurance, and mileage. He probably did not get within 20' of the bus. In just a few minutes, he came back to the bus with the papers, and said that it was $7 for the inspection and it had passed.

So, fellow Texans, is this normal? Previously, we have had the bus inspected as part of being serviced at National Indoor RV, so I haven't been with the bus when it was being inspected... but I certainly thought that they would check the lights, or look at the tread on the tires, or *something*! I did have some folks here at the RV park help me check out the lights last week; they had to clean the contacts on one of the brake lights, but the lights were all working on Thursday. And the tread on the tires is great - maybe that could be seen from 20' away? And, I guess they saw the running lights on when I drove up? I'm not wanting to look a gift horse in the mouth, but it just seems odd to me!

I have taken my BMC to a truck repair shop and they would actually drive it, besides inspecting the lights, etc. But last time I took it to a small RV shop and had the same experience as you. They just checked the mileage and didn't inspect anything. So I guess it depends on who you take it to.

Patti, it's good you "see" you on the WOG. I follow your blog and it reminds me almost daily that there is still a lot of good going on in the world.
1996 Geo Tracker "Hummingbird" a.k.a. Hummer