Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 09-16-2019

Default 2019 Winterizing

This weekend I drove the bus to its indoor Winter nest, Malden Bridge NY. Where it will nest until April 2020. Along the way I was able to take a few photos of the dash area. To my unexperienced eye nothing jumped out as needing attention. (some photos of the dash attached). The bus has been winterized since Fall 2018. I used the bus a few times this year for short day trips and didn’t need to un-winterized it. I plan on taking the bus out of its Winter nest at least once a month to exercise the engine and batteries. Is there anything else I need to do to the bus during the Winter months? A co-worker at work this morning said if I have a diesel engine, I need to add a Winter additive to the fuel tank. I told him I heard about it but never did it and the bus started with no issues this past Spring. Is this something I need to do?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C5A2FE04-5CF8-4FB7-8F18-1AF7F1373B28.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	189.4 KB
ID:	64166   Click image for larger version

Name:	7C53DEEB-6BC6-4F30-AEC0-09599F4AE6D5.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	193.6 KB
ID:	64167   Click image for larger version

Name:	E3E2C95F-73B5-46B6-ACB7-023035C24E9B.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	202.6 KB
ID:	64168  
Old 09-16-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzamot View Post
This weekend I drove the bus to its indoor Winter nest, Malden Bridge NY. Where it will nest until April 2020. Along the way I was able to take a few photos of the dash area. To my unexperienced eye nothing jumped out as needing attention. (some photos of the dash attached). The bus has been winterized since Fall 2018. I used the bus a few times this year for short day trips and didn’t need to un-winterized it. I plan on taking the bus out of its Winter nest at least once a month to exercise the engine and batteries. Is there anything else I need to do to the bus during the Winter months? A co-worker at work this morning said if I have a diesel engine, I need to add a Winter additive to the fuel tank. I told him I heard about it but never did it and the bus started with no issues this past Spring. Is this something I need to do?
Before I store mine for the winter I do add a additive to the fuel system.
The last thing you want is to have a fuel problems in the cold weather.
It is low cost insurance. I also fill the fuel tank before storage.
1989 WB 2017-2019 Sold
2018 Ford F150 4x4
Old 09-16-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
Before I store mine for the winter I do add a additive to the fuel system.
The last thing you want is to have a fuel problems in the cold weather.
It is low cost insurance. I also fill the fuel tank before storage.
Hi, what is the name of the additive?
Old 09-16-2019

I'm in the Syracuse area, so I winterize every year. I use my coach during the summer and run water through it for drinking, cleaning and showers. So if you have been using water (from shore or your tank) you have to re-winterize. Don't forget your ice maker, outdoor faucet and washer needs to be flushed. As for exercise your coach during the winter, I'd recommend not do so, we have a lot of salt on the road and this is a steel coach and lots of items on the underside that can rust from the salt. I always wait for the temperatures to stay above 50 degrees and a couple of heavy spring rains to clear the roads of any salt.

If you have battery bank switches to disconnect the batteries ( both the engine and coach batteries) use them. Or if the storage place allows you to plug in to a 110v - 15 amp outlet, keep the batteries charged through your inverter/charger. Tell them it is for a trickle charger to float the batteries, very minimal current will be used.Rremember to use your Dash switch to combine your engine and coach batteries so that they stay charged together.
Old 09-16-2019

Use any diesel biocide treatment (recommended label amount), to keep anything from growing in the diesel fuel. Also fill your tank full before storing, this way your tank has less chance of drawing in moisture, which creates the algae to grow in the fuel.
As for driving in very cold - Diesel fuel gels at a certain temperature. You should use a winter blend and/or add something like "HEAT" that lowers the temperature of the diesel's gelling point.
Old 09-16-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzamot View Post
Hi, what is the name of the additive?
This is what I use.

https://powerservice.com/
1989 WB 2017-2019 Sold
2018 Ford F150 4x4
Old 09-16-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOPHAT1 View Post
I'm in the Syracuse area, so I winterize every year. I use my coach during the summer and run water through it for drinking, cleaning and showers. So if you have been using water (from shore or your tank) you have to re-winterize. Don't forget your ice maker, outdoor faucet and washer needs to be flushed. As for exercise your coach during the winter, I'd recommend not do so, we have a lot of salt on the road and this is a steel coach and lots of items on the underside that can rust from the salt. I always wait for the temperatures to stay above 50 degrees and a couple of heavy spring rains to clear the roads of any salt.

If you have battery bank switches to disconnect the batteries ( both the engine and coach batteries) use them. Or if the storage place allows you to plug in to a 110v - 15 amp outlet, keep the batteries charged through your inverter/charger. Tell them it is for a trickle charger to float the batteries, very minimal current will be used.Rremember to use your Dash switch to combine your engine and coach batteries so that they stay charged together.

Hi, thank you for your tips. The bus was fully winterized last Winter and I have not used anything in the bus which required water. Our short day trips this year were 2 and 3 hours long between family visits. I guess I can leave the bus in storage till Spring. Since I bought the bus I pretty much drive it at least once a month. Short family day trips to visit family or I'd simply drive around the neighborhood. The storage unit has electric which I will use to keep the batteries charged.
Old 09-16-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
This is what I use.

https://powerservice.com/
Thank you
Old 09-16-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOPHAT1 View Post
Use any diesel biocide treatment (recommended label amount), to keep anything from growing in the diesel fuel. Also fill your tank full before storing, this way your tank has less chance of drawing in moisture, which creates the algae to grow in the fuel.
As for driving in very cold - Diesel fuel gels at a certain temperature. You should use a winter blend and/or add something like "HEAT" that lowers the temperature of the diesel's gelling point.
Thank you
Old 09-16-2019

I think your friend was talking about a diesel fuel anti-gel. Diesel fuel has this added at the pump in cold areas when they switch to a winter blend. You can also buy this and add it to your fuel for extra protection or where it isn’t added. Howes and Power Service(white bottle) are two brands, you would only need this if you run your engine in temps below 32f. Biocide is also a good insurance but could also dislodge some junk in your tank, I use Biobor as a regular additive.
Diving in salt is a killer if your coach is pristine and hasn’t been salted before. It’s a tough one to call.