Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 03-11-2010

Question central vac

Looking for a motor for the central vac in a 85' PT-40, any ideas?
Old 03-12-2010
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHD View Post
Looking for a motor for the central vac in a 85' PT-40, any ideas?

Hi ????????,

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamflagman View Post
Please add your permanent signature.

You need to add a permanent signature to your user profile, so that it will automatically be added at the end of all of your posts, this way we will know who we are replying to and what year and model of 'Bird or RV that you own, or if you are a Wannabe 'Bird owner, that way you help us, so that we can better help you.

This was one of the things that you were asked to do in the Wanderlodge Owners Group Rules and that you agreed to, when you became a member of this forum;

To find out how to add a permanent signature to your profile please read;

How To Post A New Topic Message Or A Reply To A Topic and Add Your Signature

Why do we want you to have a signature; Wanderlodge Owners Group > Frequently Asked Questions > User Related Issues What is the signature for?

So we are asking you again to please just add a signature in your profile with the requested information;

Your Name

Year & Model of 'Bird or WANNABE

Your Location

You can set your signature by choosing User CP at the upper left side of the forums page and then choose Edits Signature from the Settings & Options, then create your signature and if you want to you can add a signature photo, then scroll to the bottom and click on Preview Signature and if you are satisfied with the results, then scroll back down to the bottom and click on Save Signature.

Another reason to add your location to the signature is that way if you are in need of any help, we can try to direct you to another member close by.

Once you get your signature set up, it will be automatically added to each of your posted messages so that you won't have to remember to do it ever again. You may turn the signature on and off on posts you have already made by editing the post and altering the state of the "Show Signature" option.

Thanks,

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 03-12-2010
1983 FC 35 "Casa Billisa"

JHD,

Unless you're hung up on the aesthetics of keeping the central vac, you may want to consider an upgrade to something like this (link below).

It has the benefits of beater brush, hose for upholstery etc. and a HEPA filter. I removed the old central vac (when the motor died) from the half closet and the space is a well that holds the new vac and more.

http://www.eureka.com/index.php?opti...s&productid=34

NH Bill
St. Petersburg, Florida
Wanderlodge Social: https://mewe.com/profile/5bfc750ae760be22b1797898

Last edited by NH Bill; 03-12-2010 at 09:31 AM.
Old 03-12-2010
Campground Owner

Grainger?
www.xcreekrv.com
35°31'08.6"N 83°03'38.8"W
Old 03-12-2010
Forum owner

i had one once with what I thought was a bad motor,i took it apart and cleaned all the hair and fuzz out of the motor,and put a new bearing in it and it was fine.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 03-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH Bill View Post
JHD,

Unless your hung up on the aesthetics of keeping the central vac, you may want to consider an upgrade to something like this (link below).

It has the benefits of beater brush, hose for upholstery etc. and a HEPA filter. I removed the old central vac (when the motor died) from the half closet and the space is a well that holds the new vac and more.

http://www.eureka.com/index.php?opti...s&productid=34

NH Bill

Josh,

There is a link here on the forum that has a source for motors, I'm not sure if they still carry the ones for your model, it can be found at;

Wanderlodge Owners Group > Links, Files, Old Yahoo Forum Database and Downloads > Links > Central Vac International

Similar to what Bill did, I removed the original whole house vacuum in my 'Bird because it would not pick up the dog hair sufficiently and it went to another owner about six years ago, I just used a Dirt Devil hand held for the dog hair and a Dirt devil stcik vacuum for rhe light stuff, but I finally got tired of crawling around on the floor using the hand held and combined the two so I just purchased through the Wal Mart online a Dirt Devil Dynamite Plus Bagless Upright Vacuum With Tools for $49.87 plus tax and free shipping to my local Wal Mart where I picked it up, but I belive that they are offering 97¢ shipping to your home. It is a little wider at the bottom, but it fits in the same area of one of the bathroom closets where the stick vacuum was stored.

• Lightweight, compact vacuum
  • Sturdy motor with a revolving brush lifts dirt more completely than suction alone
  • Scatter-guard nozzle that traps debris on hard surfaces without scratching delicate finishes
  • HEPA filtration traps 100% of pollen and ragweed and 99.97% of dust and allergens
  • The 25-foot cord allows you to clean up to 2,800 square feet from one outlet
  • Innovative ClickLock releases and slides down telescopic metal handle for storage in tight spaces
  • Light enough to carry anywhere, even up and down stairs
  • Includes a stretch hose, dust brush and crevice tool onboard
  • Includes 2-year manufacturer's warranty
  • Model# M084650
Color: Red Power Output Watts: N/A Power: N/A Model No.:M084650Shipping Weight (in pounds):12.52 Product in Inches (L x W x H):11.0 x 10.5 x 42.75 Assembled in Country of Origin:USA and/or ImportedOrigin of Components:USA and/or ImportedWal-Mart No.:001578384

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Dirt-Devil...#ProductDetail

JOHN FINN
1982 FC35RB
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 03-12-2010

Hello,
For those with the Dirt Devil, is it a quiet vacuum? Let me put it this way...If you were parked next to me and I decided that I needed to clean at 7:00 am would you be glad you didn't own a loaded gun? When we are on the road I get up around 6:00 am, and go for a run with the dogs, then eat breakfast, clean the bus and pack up to be on the road by 7:30-8:00. The central vac in ours is very loud, and I hate to use it because of this. Thanks ...Mike
Old 03-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERIE,PA View Post
Hello,
For those with the Dirt Devil, is it a quiet vacuum? Let me put it this way...If you were parked next to me and I decided that I needed to clean at 7:00 am would you be glad you didn't own a loaded gun? When we are on the road I get up around 6:00 am, and go for a run with the dogs, then eat breakfast, clean the bus and pack up to be on the road by 7:30-8:00. The central vac in ours is very loud, and I hate to use it because of this. Thanks ...Mike
It probably isn't the quietest vacuum available and I can't remember what the old whole house vacuum sounded like so I have no comparison. I just tried it and stepped outside to see what the sound is like and it can be heard from the outside with the windows closed, if you were doing this in a campground and plugged into shore power it may be a little noisy, but I merely walked about ten feet away and I could barely hear it, this would be like in a crowded campground and then if I went inside my non insulated shop at the same distance I couldn't hear it at all, similar to being inside of another RV.

Now if you were parked over night in a Wal Mart, or a rest area then using that QUIET Perkins to supply the needed 120V , the Perkins or other generator would cover the vacuum noise right up

If i remember the central vacuum has a vent that goes outside under the coach, making it noisier.

JOHN FINN
1982 FC35RB
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 03-12-2010

Thanks for the response,
Our central vac can easily be heard for 2-4 spots away at a campground. The run with the dogs is also a little "neighbor recon", to make sure there are lights on and a tv going before we fire up the vac. I'm sure the dirt devil is at least half as quiet from what you have described. Thanks for heads up.
The Perkins is loud on the outside too? Does this mean I shouldn't fire it up during little Billy's nap time after an all morning jam session on his pots n pans drum set? Don't need no stinkin loaded gun when you got a Perkins gen-set!!! Thanks again...Mike
Old 03-12-2010

I bought a 'stick vacuum' for use in our coach. It's made by Electrolux, and actually does a really good job.

It's 12v rechargeable, and it's convertable, meaning you can take the 'Dust Buster' portion out of the 'stick', and use it in small places.

The 'stick' has a powered beater brush, and while it's not as good as a full sized vacuum, it's perfect for a coach.

It comes with a recharging stand that I mounted in a closet.

Here's a link to the unit:

http://smallappliances.electroluxusa...p?ProdID=41707

Memory serve, I bought it at Costco.

-Robert
Linden, Michigan