Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > Towbars, Hitches and Braking Systems for your Toads, etc.

Towbars, Hitches and Braking Systems for your Toads, etc. Questions, concerns, or suggestions regarding what equipment to use to tow your Toad with are discussed here.

Site Search:

Old 04-13-2010

Like I said earlier, each of us has our own needs. I considered a lift for the Harley. I looked into the price and found it pretty costly. Of course I didn't run into a $1,500 deal like Randy has offered. Maybe I would have gone that route, I don't know. But, the bottom line is this, the trailer keeps my Harley clean. I'm anal about my stuff being clean and those bikes are a bear to keep that way, without hanging on the back of the Bird. I can either spend all my time cleaning the bike after I get to where I'm going or I can spend some extra time finding a big enough campground or place to put the trailer. It all ends up being extra work. As far as washing the trailer, I'd wash three of those to one Harley.
I like it simple too. Sometimes we just take the Bird and nothing else and don't leave where we are and enjoy the area. But then there are those times you just want everything with you. I also have two daughters and their families that I want to take places and do things with. The trailer will be ideal for that scenario. And finally, I have 3-4 other guys I ride bikes with and we take an annual trip. So far we have gone about anywhere you can go east of the Mississippi. To go west we plan on putting the bikes in the trailer, go to a location, park the bus and go on from there on the bikes. We may then come back and move to another location and do the same thing.
So for me, looking at the long haul and especially when I go into full retirement mode, having a trailer to take all my "stuff" is important and I just can't see spending the money on a lift now, and a trailer later. I bought the trailer now, I'm learning to use it to my fullest advantage and be done with it.

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN
Old 04-13-2010

I just had a thought after reading Peter Haggins post. Georgia may be the trailer capital I don't know. But there are a huge number of them here in Indiana. Not only that there is one just down the road from me. http://www.sure-trac.com/sure-trac/index.asp
They have excellent quality from what I can see. I have been offered a price for my trailer that is equal to what I paid for it. I could be in the market for another one. I anyone is interested I would be more than happy to talk to these people and see if we can get a group price. I obviously have no clue on how or if this would work but I'm willing to make a effort if there is any interest. From what I know about them they will do anything you want, anyway you want it. I suppose that is true for anyplace as long as you show them the "green." If anyone wants to PM me and let me know the basics of what you may want and I will go and talk to them and see what we can do. I know they have dealers in several areas over the country so we may even be able to work out the logistics of the thing. Anybody that has an interest can obviously contact Novae direct, inquire as to their particular requirements and desires. I will just go to them and find out if are willing to give a group price if we have sufficient interest.

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN
Old 04-13-2010
Timberlake Products Group

Just a word or two on trailers...

I went with a 20' Vee nose with 8.5' of inside ceiling clearance. Boy it is nice to have all of the overhead room for "stuff". The trailer has an overall outside height of 10.5' and an overall length of 24'. With our coaches in the 11.5'~12.5' range, the height is not an issue and put to good use.

Having said that, with regard to trailers, shop carefully. You really do get what ya pay for by and large. The law says to the best of my knowledge that any trailer with a GVW of 3000# or more rating has to have trailer brakes on ALL axles. There are some manufacturers out there that still only put brakes on one of the two axles in order to sell a little cheaper than the next guy...

My new trailer has a GVW of 12,000# with the proper brakes and safety equipment.

The picture is deceiving, I am 6'4" tall and need a ladder inside to touch the ceiling...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dcp_3976.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	457.0 KB
ID:	4662  

Ryan and Michelle Saari
Timberlake Products Group, Inc.
1985 PT36
1983 FC35RB Left me for Atlanta!
Clearwater, Florida
https://www.timberlakeproductsgroup.com/
https://www.ebay.com/str/timberlakeproductsgroup

Last edited by Turbokitty; 04-19-2010 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 04-13-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanmarycamilleri View Post
I have been looking on EBay for enclosed trailers. There are lost of new ones at very good prices. The enclosed trailer capital of the world appears to be Georgia. I talked with a couple of manufacturers/ dealers. I am considering a 20' (box), with a V nose (2" free storage) with an OAL of approx 24'.
I to like the thought of having a garage with me.
Pete, If your not going t be towing the trailer behind anything other than the bus I dont think you will find any advantage to the vee nose as the trailer will be dead in the buses slip stream.

Peace&Love, Darren

Wanderlodge Wannabe
That's "Cheers" the dream coach
Old 04-13-2010

Darren
Agreed, but why give up the space. The V nose is extended onto the hitch area that is otherwise just hitch. Free space in the trailer as I see it.
96wb42
Mid Door
Old 04-13-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyradawg View Post
Pete, If your not going t be towing the trailer behind anything other than the bus I dont think you will find any advantage to the vee nose as the trailer will be dead in the buses slip stream.

Peace&Love, Darren
That is most likely correct for the moderate V but wouldn't one of the real radical V nose jobs give you a better clearance in tight turns or backing situations? Just a thought. Never pulled one but it just seems as though it would. I pulled a flat nose and kissed the corner once when backing. Not good!

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN
Old 04-13-2010
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by isp2952 View Post
That is most likely correct for the moderate V but wouldn't one of the real radical V nose jobs give you a better clearance in tight turns or backing situations? Just a thought. Never pulled one but it just seems as though it would. I pulled a flat nose and kissed the corner once when backing. Not good!
The full V nose can get in the way of your ladder and the bumper depending on how high your trailer sits off of the ground, I have had the unfortunate experience of having to jackknife my trailer in order to get out of situations that I had gotten myself into, so I have indentations on both sides of the V on my trailer, but it is only cosmetic and it just gives it character

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 04-13-2010

Here are a couple questions relative to V nose trailers. I was under the assumption that the only real purpose of the V was to reduce drag? Is the V part of the trailer make it easier or more difficult to get up against the trailer while in a jack knifed position. Does it give you more or less storage area inside the trailer. That last one might sound like a stupid question but it depends on how you measure the length of the trailer. Do you count the V or not when lengths are discussed.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 04-13-2010

John,
The V does slightly aid in aerodynamics, but any larger low vehicle has enough turbulence off the rear to negate that. As for getting to the trailer when jack knifed, it depends on which side you're getting to! You typically get more storage, as you have the triangle in the front to use. I don't know for certain, but I'll bet most manufacturers count the V in the length numbers. My trailer is a flat front, but I'm going to build a box in the front V area for a spare and some small tools.

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 04-13-2010

Most of the trailer sellers on Ebay do not count the V in the box length. They will state a 20' box, and then say that the V adds 2' or so, the actual length of the box on a 20' V nose is 22'. LOA is about 24'
96wb42
Mid Door