Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > Towbars, Hitches and Braking Systems for your Toads, etc.

Towbars, Hitches and Braking Systems for your Toads, etc. Questions, concerns, or suggestions regarding what equipment to use to tow your Toad with are discussed here.

Site Search:

Old 04-20-2010

I went looking at local trailers today. Here is what I found (all are new units):

Wells Cargo MotorTrac 4000 BP with AutoSport V-Nose, 22' + 5', vinyl-lined walls and roof, wide-mouth front ramp door, $16,917 ON SALE (6% discount). Ouch. Looks nice though.

Wells Cargo MotorTrac 2000 BP with AutoSport V-Nose, 22' + 5', plywood walls and roof, normal front ramp door, $14,892 on sale. More ouch.

The two trailers above were at Airdrie Trailer Sales.

Didn't find anything else in stock in Calgary. On to Kijiji where looky what I found, a 27' MTI V-nose:

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehi...AdIdZ174410369

A real bargain at $12,652 (discounted price, of course) delivered to Calgary from way up there in Grande Prairie, Alberta. Only it looks suspiciously like this trailer on Ebay at the MTI factory in Middlebury, Indiana, right down to identical pictures.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ht_3280wt_1167

The price in Indiana? $8,100 US "Buy It Now". The extra distance to drive there from Florida en route to Calgary? About 100 miles.

It looks like the Grande Prairie MTI dealer wants to bend Albertans over to the tune of $4,500 or over 50%. Pretty steep premium even given the extra shipping and exchange rate.

There is no doubt the Wells Cargo trailer is a nicer trailer. Both of the Wells Cargo trailers are equipped with jack stands at the back so you can load a car unhitched. The exterior skin is also not riveted to the frame so the exterior looks cleaner than the MTI. But are the Wells Cargo trailers $7-9k better than the MTI (Alberta pricing versus US MTI pricing)? Does anyone know what the Wells Cargo trailers go for in the US?

The MTI auction on Ebay closes tomorrow and I think I will bid on it. It's 2 feet longer than the earlier one I saw but for an extra $400 I think I would like the extra room. Regarding spring versus torsion axles, it looks like virtually all of the trailers I have seen have Dexter Torflex axles. So it could be a moot point for me. I need this trailer in 4 weeks and don't have time to get one built so I have to take whatever is in stock.
Old 04-20-2010
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rselin View Post
The MTI auction on Ebay closes tomorrow and I think I will bid on it. It's 2 feet longer than the earlier one I saw but for an extra $400 I think I would like the extra room. Regarding spring versus torsion axles, it looks like virtually all of the trailers I have seen have Dexter Torflex axles. So it could be a moot point for me. I need this trailer in 4 weeks and don't have time to get one built so I have to take whatever is in stock.

Make sure that you are aware of any length laws that you may encounter, some states are worse than others for enforcing the length laws, but over length permits are available if needed. On my recent trip to the west coast I was stopped in Texas and measured by a Texas DOT officer as my combination appeared to him to be over-length, but I was within the legal length after he measured it at 62 feet overall.

The torque style axles originally installed on my trailer were not Dexter axles and in my opinion the Dexter TorqueFlex axles are of a better quality and they carry a better and longer warranty too, that longer warranty is one reason why I chose the Dexter brand spring axles now on my trailer.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 04-20-2010

Hi John,

Good point, but I think I will just take my chances. My overall length is going to be 65' (or less). It looks to mainly be a problem in the eastern US. Mississippi seems to be the worst at only 53'. All Canadian provinces are 66' or longer.
Old 04-20-2010

California is the worst state to be overlenght in. They will make you un hitch and get a tow for the trailer. That's after the ticket.
If you have to the spend big bucks, make sure they are real Torflex and not knock offs. Also I was told once that they do wear out??? They are like tires, they have a life span,sooner or latter the rubber inserts that are the active suspension component looses some of it's ability to compress. I haven't noticed any problem, but behind a Bird you won't

Look at Racingjunk.com for more trailers.

http://www.racingjunk.com/category/50/New_Trailers.html

Here's a nice 20' Optima

http://www.racingjunk.com/category/5...13-900.00.html

http://www.racingjunk.com/category/5...ADE-quot-.html

$15,895.00
ALL ALUMINUM 2008 RANCE 24' "RENEGADE"

TANDEM 6,000 LB. DEXTER AXLES

ALUMINUM RIMS WITH GOODYEAR TIRES

6" ADDITIONAL HEIGHT (7' CEILING)

SCREWLESS .040 EXTERIOR METAL

LED EXTERIOR 12V LIGHTING

12V POWER TONGUE JACK WITH BATTERY

ADDITIONAL BRACING FOR AWNING

PULL OUT STEP

IN-FLOOR SPARE TIRE STORAGE COMPARTMENT

VORTEX FLOOR LINING

BRACED & WIRED FOR ROOF AIR CONDITIONER

(4) 48" FLORESCENT CEILING LIGHTS

(2) 110V INTERIOR WALL RECEPTS

(1) 110V EXTERIOR GFI RECEPT

30 AMP SERVICE PANEL WITH SHORELINE

C-TECH BASE CABINET WITH 8 DRAWER TOOL BOX

C-TECH 4 DOOR OVERHEAD CABINET

5 YEAR WARRANTY

Sorry I gotta stop looking or I'll buy a new trailer!!!

Last edited by Bumpersbird; 04-20-2010 at 09:28 AM. Reason: additions
Old 04-20-2010

I decided to reconsider this one last time last night and think about what I am really doing here. I bought the SP because I wanted something smaller and more maneuverable. I do want to get into some boondocking areas and some windier secondary roads out west. And I think I've gotten away from my original path if I am now considering a big enclosed trailer and a 65' o/a length. John Heckman made a good point earlier saying that the more stuff you carry the more complicated it gets. So while it would be nice to have a garage with me, I'm going a different route.

I phoned Randy this morning to see if his Blue Ox lift had sold. It hadn't, so I bought it. He lined up a welding shop in Gainesville where he knows the owner and that can install the lift for me when I pick up the SP. Randy will also deliver the lift to the welding shop for me beforehand so the guys can see what they have to do. Once again Randy is the man.

So for me in the end it will be a lift and a toad. Thanks to everybody for their comments and suggestions.
Old 04-20-2010
Burnin Up in Az. :-)

Richard, That's not a bad route.

I too looked at enclosed trailers and even borrowed one to get a feel for it. I had a 20' box trailer (24' long) and loaded it with quads to take to the dunes. Normally I use my 16' car hauler (20' long). The difference was 3500 lbs vs 7000 lbs.

It was nice to have everything protected from the sun, security, etc.. BUT, if you're going off road that extra weight was like a big anchor and I felt several times as if I might get stuck in the sand where as with the smaller lighter trailer I was able to pull through with a lot less effort.

Trust me.. the last thing you want to do is get a bird stuck in the sand dunes!
eMail=Mike.Putz@cox.net | Web=http://mikeputz.com/
Solar = https://www.solarpenny.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=257

FMCA #236459, Good Sam #17270530, Vintage Birds #1509
Old 04-20-2010
Early Member

Richard, I think you will be happy with a lift, and I'm glad to hear you'll be using a good shop for the install via Randy's referral. Mike Putz helped me do mine so I know it is strong. He built one for his Goldwing himself from scratch! (too bad he doesn't have any photo page to show us!) So did John Heckman, who has the same scooter as I have. My hat's off to those guys, as I was too scared to try that, and just bought a manufactured one (used) as you did. Heckman spoke of heavy oil/dirt buildup on the scooter behind his PT with a Detroit Diesel, but I've experienced very little even on my longer trips to northern Cal. I guess there is just a different air bubble back there on these SP's that keeps the cycle clean. I hope it is the same for you too.

Good luck!
"The Wunderlodge"
build blog info
Old 04-20-2010

Hi Fred, I think the DD being 2 stroke spits more oil then the Cat. That and you are likely right about the bubble being different. By the way I traded scooters. I decided the 500 MP 3 was too big for my application. It is (was) as large as my 750 Honda Shadow. I bought a 250 Vespa GTV and it is "better" for my use. This fits into this thread in this way. There is no right way or best way to do much of this stuff that we talk about, debate and even argue over on this forum. A fellow has to learn by experience. I for one rarely if EVER do it right the first time. This trailer stuff being a perfect example. I think an enclosed trailer would be the nuts but for two things. It adds significantly to your total towing length and then you have to deal with it when you stop. For me I will avoid the trailer and deal with the "crud". Now remember at "Q" I traveled from Pa so I had lots of bad weather to go thru. And I made some changes on my motorcycle left-carrier and I WILL post pictures as soon as I get it finished completely. What I want to do now is fabricate a really well fitting heavy cover for my scooters (I also have a Sym Symba) so that I can protect them a little better. That is going to be my next project. I've been working on tow hitches, cycle carriers and just for over a year off an on. I'll tell you right now my design is not ideal in many ways but I had several requirements which for me personally were a must. One was I didn't want to extend my total tow length and I didn't want to have anything I had to drive a bike up on, no ramps. So I accomplished that put at some cost of convenience too. Same as the trailer. Best no question for keeping things clean and protected but at a considerable cost. To each his own and I've had a lot of fun with the fellows at the weld shop working on this project. I am the designer and they are the guys doing the cutting and welding of materials. They some times roll their eyes when I first tell them what I am trying to do but I am pleased to say that once its together and working they "get it" and consider it a pretty nice project. Like I said I'll get pictures in the next week or two up on the forum. (Woody gave me a couple idea's which I expanded on to make my lift a little easier to use) Still a pretty big hassle but I am not doing this often and I am not in a rush.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 04-20-2010
Early Member

Hey John, your new lift mods sound great, I can't wait to see the picts. I rib Putz on some of my posts because I built him a photo site and he still hasn't added the link to his signature. (http://picasaweb.google.com/Bluebirdzoom/PutzNAround#) By the way, if you want to have a photo page for your coach, just gather some picts together and I can help you add them to this picasa page I started called bluebirdzoom. It's a great way to post and share high res picts and captions of our mods, upgrades, etc. Btw, how do you like your tire pressure monitor system you bought that day at Q? I'm seriously considering one because I really hate checking/airing. Yes, I'm still a huge advocate of a cycle mount only as a toad. I really think it is a perfect solution for "see local stuff" transportation while traveling by RV. Simple, quick deploy, backupable (is that a word?), and fun.
"The Wunderlodge"
build blog info
Old 04-20-2010
Burnin Up in Az. :-)

I'm not sure what Fred is talking about?????

I updated my profile over 2 minutes ago! hee hee hee

Thanx Fred...
eMail=Mike.Putz@cox.net | Web=http://mikeputz.com/
Solar = https://www.solarpenny.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=257

FMCA #236459, Good Sam #17270530, Vintage Birds #1509