Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Generators

Generators In this forum we will try to answer any of your questions about the different model generators that can be found on Blue Bird coach's.

Site Search:

Old 12-02-2009

Default Generator shuts off

I have 7.5 kohler generator shuts off at 180 every time,on going problem. Is there a way to by pass this ?
82 FC 33 250 left me for another
Sumner Wa.
Old 12-02-2009
Administrator

Recheck the temp with a thermometer, in the reservoir or a heat gun on the block, water pump area, Or remove the switch, if it is an auto shutdown safety, It is normally open or normally closed. Put it in a pot on the stove, heat it up and see what temp it changes, use an Ohm meter.
Old 12-02-2009

Gene:
First, to bypass a safety shutdown is asking for more trouble.
Check as Bill noted for correct operating temp.
I recently purchased one for my Perkins generator (as it was cracked) and it has a value printed on it. My generator was shutting down as well, but we traced it to the electric motor that drives the fan. Replaced motor and now operates nicely at 160 deg.
Old 12-03-2009

Thanks for the imput.The geny used to be plumbed in to the coach heaters and would also haet the coach engine. Then when the geny heats to 180 even on the coach guages it would shut off. Or when running the coach and hit 180 it would kill geny so i disconected geny from the coach water system. What is the correct runing temp and the shut down temp what do you check the temp senders it looks like I have 2 or somthing different? Thanks
Sumner Wa.
Old 12-03-2009

Gene:
Not having the same setup as you, all I can tell you is what I have.
There should be two sensors, one for the meter which changes resistance values when the water is heated. The second is an open/closed switch when it reaches a certain temperature. In your case it seems to be at 180 degrees. What about the engine thermostat? On your 3208, running at 190 - 210 degrees would be normal, so the two would have to be matched somewhat.
Old 02-17-2010

Ok got sume results. got t-stat from kohlor part # 50-453-02 170 deg. bidn't fit in hole. no one makes a thermostat that small any more. So for 125.00 more I can buy ther adaptor plate to fix it. Nope ant' going to happen. I ground out head instead problem solved. Geny ran for a 1 1/2 with full load best ever, shut off at 205 deg. its never run that long or got that hot. took radiator in had it rodded out one day turnaround 65.00 not bad.that should take car of problem. I will test today then I will plumb back in to chassy heat and try that. All becuse the PO removed the thermostat and didn't fix it correctly.
Sumner Wa.
Old 02-17-2010
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Mehr View Post
Ok got sume results. got t-stat from kohlor part # 50-453-02 170 deg. bidn't fit in hole. no one makes a thermostat that small any more. So for 125.00 more I can buy ther adaptor plate to fix it. Nope ant' going to happen. I ground out head instead problem solved. Geny ran for a 1 1/2 with full load best ever, shut off at 205 deg. its never run that long or got that hot. took radiator in had it rodded out one day turnaround 65.00 not bad.that should take car of problem. I will test today then I will plumb back in to chassy heat and try that. All becuse the PO removed the thermostat and didn't fix it correctly.
I'm not familiar with the 7.5 Kohler generator, was this on a Gas or Diesel Kohler engine and not a Perkins? If it is a Perkins/Kohler generator check out;

Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Generators > Perkins Genset Engine & Kohler Manuals and Information

Quote:
Had to replace the water pump and thermostat was running a little hot. Went to NAPA and they looked up a Perkins 4.108 in their parts book and it gave them a thermostat with a part number of simply #170. This appears to be a widely used one. I pulled the 382-190 that you listed on the site (which was running around 200 degrees) and installed the 170 (which is fully open at 180 degrees) Temps are a lot cooler- running around 185 now. They also have a part number 70. This thermostat is rated at 160 degrees.

I just noticed that the 382-190 is rated to open at 195 degrees, not 190- that may have been my problem. There is also a note in the Perkins Manual about needing a thermostat with "bypass blanking valve" ??? Not sure if we need that or not.

Also forgot to mention that the thermostat has to have a diameter of 2.125 inches. Mine had 54 MM stamped on it, so I'd assume that is the metric dimension.

Shane Fedeli

85PT40

Hershey, PA

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 02-18-2010

Nope its gas, every things great temp running almost 180 steady full load for one hour same as usual then it happened shut down w.t. @#%@#@$. has spark has air no feul. goimg to drop the tank and service feul system. doesnt look fun. yee haa
Sumner Wa.
Old 02-18-2010
Gardner

Gene,
Is there an an electric fuel pump in the line?
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 02-18-2010
95 WB 42

Gene
It may not relate however I had an old Plymouth that did the same thing,
found gas line touching exaust manifold which caused boiling of fuel in line
resulting in vapor lock. Cool off wait about an hr run fine for another hr.
Just one of my memories.

1995 WB 42 Series 60
Perry Georgia
770-548-1441 cell