Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions

Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions and related components.

Site Search:

Old 08-07-2011

Default Steer Tires?

I'm running TOYO 315's rated "L", and 20 ply if I remember correctly. The ride is a little jolting on rough roads. I'm currently running 115psi. I'm looking for a little better ride.

What are others running?
Old 08-07-2011
cmillsap

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmp View Post
I'm running TOYO 315's rated "L", and 20 ply if I remember correctly. The ride is a little jolting on rough roads. I'm currently running 115psi. I'm looking for a little better ride.

What are others running?
Jerry,

Does the load on the tires require that high tire pressure? My loads with Michelin 315's allow me to run 90 (Duals) to 100 (Steer & Tag) psi in my tires. If you can lower the tire pressure 10/15 lbs, you will be surprised at how much better the ride will be. I bought a new set of Toyos for my former coach and found the ride was much harder than with the Michelins that were on the coach before. The reason I switched to the Toyos on that coach was they were sooo much cheaper than the Michelins

Chuck
Old 08-07-2011
davidmbrady

Jerry, I run 100 psi in my steer tires. Your pressures do sound a tad high, but there's no substitute for weighing the coach and using the manufacturer's load tables.

When I first bought my LXi I thought that it rode a bit rough too. After installing new Koni shocks (FSDs), new tires, Centramatics, drive axle CrossFire pressure equalizers, setting the ride height, playing with tag axle pressures, and adjusting tire air pressures, the ride was better but it still wasn't what I had expected. I decided to sample the ride with the steer axle anti-sway bar disconnected... wow, what a difference. My coach had an excessively stiff ASB which all but eliminated independent steer axle wheel motion. I can honestly say that my coach rides right up there with every Prevost I've ever driven. I've posted extensively on this topic. You may want to search the archives.
Old 08-08-2011

David

What pressures do you currently run in the drive and tag axles?

Yesmar@fairpoint.net
Eight 5 zero four four 7 one 7 zero zero
1994 Wanderlodge (sold)
2000 LXI (sold)
1993 Wanderlodge(Sold)
2004 M380 (FOR SALE)
1997 Marathon
Old 08-08-2011
davidmbrady

Hi Richard,

85 psi on both drive and tag axles. I don't have a weight ticket in front of me but my coach is lighter than most, I think it's the ultralight maple cabinetry. Oh, wait I do have a ticket (full fuel, water, and ready to travel):

Cat scale weights:
Steer: 14300K
Drive: 22000:
Tag: 11100K

Axle capacities:
Steer: 16K
Drive: 23K
Tag: 13.2K
Old 08-08-2011
ANOTHER REDNECK

no way my 94 pt40 weights are more!
Just a Hobby Shop now-Bird Repairs upon Appt and my Schedule -USAR Retired