Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Takin' it Easy > Under The Awning

Under The Awning Here is where you can carry on a conversation, just like............well, like you were sitting under your awning at the campsite.

Site Search:

Old 10-05-2011

Default Need a Commuter/toad car......

I love my Big Dodge 2500 diesel, but I need a compact car for lots of commuting around since I am a sales rep again, and it also would be the car I carry in a future stacker trailer and has to carry a family of 4.

I think a VW Jetta TDI fits the bill.... what do you think?

VW just dropped the price on the Jetta in Canada for 2012, by $4000!!!

So thinking about a 2012 Jetta TDI, 6 speed manual trans. I think I like the Black as well.

Cummins ISX-650HP
Old 10-06-2011

Reliability has never been the Jetta's strong suit. I only personally know three people who have/had Jetta's, including my sister and BIL, and all had expensive repairs of TDI Jetta's. One friend was a big Jetta fan and had 3 of them in a row, but the 3rd was such a lemon he said never again. My BIL's puked up a turbo a couple of years ago and was a $4000+ repair. Another friend had a timing belt go and detonated his engine.

These experiences are anecdotal, but Google "volkswagen jetta reliability" and you will find they are not atypical, see this article for example:

http://www.wheels.ca/article/782687

By contrast I know way more people who have Hondas, including myself, and I never hear boo about problems.
Old 10-06-2011

David,

The TDI just wouldn't work for you. You've just sold the engine you'd want to put in it!!

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 10-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by rselin View Post
Reliability has never been the Jetta's strong suit. I only personally know three people who have/had Jetta's, including my sister and BIL, and all had expensive repairs of TDI Jetta's. One friend was a big Jetta fan and had 3 of them in a row, but the 3rd was such a lemon he said never again. My BIL's puked up a turbo a couple of years ago and was a $4000+ repair. Another friend had a timing belt go and detonated his engine.

These experiences are anecdotal, but Google "volkswagen jetta reliability" and you will find they are not atypical, see this article for example:

http://www.wheels.ca/article/782687

By contrast I know way more people who have Hondas, including myself, and I never hear boo about problems.
hmmmmm interesting, I thought it was on of themost reliable cars out there. My dad has a gold tdi with over 400K on it, and it's all original. Thats one of the reasons I wanted a tdi.

I find the above article shocking, because I was on a tdi forum last night, and there were pages and pages of praise for these new jetta and golf tdi.

Im going to take one for a test ride today I think, I'll look at all my options as well
Cummins ISX-650HP
Old 10-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxdwg View Post
David,

The TDI just wouldn't work for you. You've just sold the engine you'd want to put in it!!
LOL.... I'll admit there is a little part of me that is bummed, because I started thinking about other vehicles that I could buy to stuff the C13 into to make a fun project
Cummins ISX-650HP
Old 10-06-2011

My family (wife and son, & daughter) have had 4 VW diesels over the years (3 jetta TDI's). Have gotten excellent service from all of them. Two went well over 100,000 miles before they were sold. Two are still in family. Would recommend it highly. Carol Dupree also has one and last time we talked she was very pleased.

By the way Randy, how is the Jeep CRD serving you?
Old 10-06-2011

Honda FIT, Drive one you'll be impressed. I like VW's too especially fun to drive. Not as reliable as the Honda and more money but I've had a couple never any problems but none of them had more then 20K miles on them when I traded. VW's if you have to fix something are expensive to repair just like all German cars. I'd say the decision is based on money only. Honda cheap dependable. VW more expensive more car but you'll pay for it. The Fit is under 20 and the VW TDI is likely 5 or 6 K more. I'd be happy either one but the FIT is the only car I'd buy if I personally was needing a car tomorrow. I like it that much. Drive an automatic, they are flat towable and that transmission is the nicest auto I've ever owned. Best part of the car. Very responsive little car. Traded a Toyota Camry on it because the Toy wasn't flat towable. Thought we would be stepping down from the Camry. Actually like the FIT a lot better then the Camry. Just drive one. I might look at the SONIC or the FIESTA

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 10-06-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Brookshire View Post
My family (wife and son, & daughter) have had 4 VW diesels over the years (3 jetta TDI's). Have gotten excellent service from all of them. Two went well over 100,000 miles before they were sold. Two are still in family. Would recommend it highly. Carol Dupree also has one and last time we talked she was very pleased.

By the way Randy, how is the Jeep CRD serving you?
For the most part, these are the kinds of rave reviews I have been getting.
I will look at them today, and look into some good warranty options as well.
The Honda was my second choice, but I really want a diesel with a 6 speed standard trans...
Cummins ISX-650HP
Old 10-06-2011

I have one. SHE bought it and it is the only new car we have ever owned. I'm sort of the theory that one car should last you a lifetime and rarely drive a car less than 20 years.

We won't be driving the VW that long. It is a 2004 Jetta TDI with 80,000 miles. It has been in for several major repairs and just this weekend the 'check engine light" is on again. I just don't think the quality and sustainability is there.

I feel that so strongly that I have been reluctant to put the Blue Ox baseplate on the car. Not willing to make that (to me) significant investment in the VW, I'm just pulling it on a tow dolly now.

My "old man car" a '96 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham, rarely, if ever needs repair, but is probably too large to pull behind my GMC.
Old 10-06-2011

[My "old man car" a '96 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham, rarely, if ever needs repair, but is probably too large to pull behind my GMC.[/QUOTE]

It could probably tow the GMC
"Bordering On Adequate"