Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 09-06-2013

Default Winterizing!!

Well folks another summer coming to a close here and just got done winterizing the FC.
If we were staying home this year I would be good for a few more weeks!!
19 gallons of anti- freeze, a submersible sump pump and a custom 4' garden hose.
I fill the whole system and have never had a freeze up when I use the pink stuff.
Sure hope I don't get cold this year until we have to come back in April.
Rain here and getting pretty cool at night.
Old 09-06-2013

Looking forward to seeing you folks this year DOWN SOUTH!!!
Old 09-06-2013
Senior

Mi,e if you do a simple bypass of the hot water heater with copper tubing and 3 ball valves you can quickly winterize your coach with about a gallon of antifreeze amd just as quickly unwinterize it. I made an adapter from a shurflo water pump and a couple of adapters and a 15 ft. Cable to connect the pump to the coach batteries to shot the rv antifreeze thru the freshwater ,outside inlet thru all of the copper tubing opening each outlet inside until the pink stuff rums out. Easy and fast.

Tom
6V92
Old 09-06-2013

Default Winterizing

Yes you surely don't need to use 19 gallons of antifreeze. I made up a hand pump using a garden sprayer. I have a quick disconnect on my water inlet and like Tom suggested a hot water heater by pass. You can also blow out the water lines with air and get them dry using the onboard system or an external compressor (at low pressure). Then circulated a very small amount of antifreeze. Actually you can them blow out the antifreeze and put everything back in order for the next spring. Slight variations on the same theme depending on personal preference and coach variations but man you definitely don't need to use 19 gallons of antifreeze. That stuff is not cheap plus if you use that much you almost can't get it flushed out of the lines.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 09-06-2013
Forum owner

Mike is in Alaska.
I can tell him how to stay cool,but no way could i tell him anything about the cold!
Just sayin!!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 09-06-2013

Gets cold here too... I'm listening. Got me thinking, maybe I need to put in a bypass for the water heater in mine! Survived last winter, to the best of my knowledge, or at least most of the system did. I forgot about the shower drain - think it needs repair now! I just blew the system out but was concerned I might have missed some water. So thanks all!

I have not seen any mention of it in other threads, so... How do you get all the water out of the fresh water tank. I still had about 2 inches of water in the bottom after I drained the system.
the (SLO-CAN) :
Old 09-06-2013

The bypass sounds like it would work.
I have replaced frozen and broken piping more than once and even a hot water heater in a time when I had an inferior product I had to weld the aluminum tank back together. The drains are something easy to forget. I use my bird in the winter sometimes and use water softener salt pellets in the toilet for # 1 emergency at night and haven't ever been frozen up.(yet)

P.S. Will be where its hot in another week and will need help with our "air". Also the reason we are parked in the shade at WOG rally. They don't ask what kind of coach we have so the BMC can park kind of by the Wanderlodges!!
Old 09-06-2013

Ooops forgot...I park on a hill to drain the tanks good. I let it sit there a couple hours. Wheels chocked by the kids before I get out. Have used air too but a few gallons of anti freeze wont bust my wallet just the pipes.
Old 09-06-2013

Now you tell me! Should have winterized before leaving BC couple weeks ago! Guess I will have to stack some blocks up to make a hill!!! Not much in the way of hills around here.
the (SLO-CAN) :
Old 09-06-2013
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang88 View Post
I have not seen any mention of it in other threads, so... How do you get all the water out of the fresh water tank. I still had about 2 inches of water in the bottom after I drained the system.
The water outlet is on the side bottom, there will always be 1/2 to 1 inch of water in the tank. Freezing and upward expansion has not been an issue.