Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Transmission

Transmission Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's transmission.

Site Search:

Old 09-20-2015

Default Transmission Issue After Fluid Change

Good Morning All!

So last week we went up to Oklahoma to pick up our bus. Spent a few days camping at Lake Thunderbird State Park, then on Monday the 14th drove it over to United Engines in OKC to have them do a once over and change the oil and transmission fluid. They had it a couple days (they are first come, first serve and don't do appointments apparently), so on Wednesday morning we went to pick it up. After paying the bill ($770 ), which was apparently without using transynd which I asked for, but oh well. I went to the back to get it aired up and transfer some of our gear from the truck to the bus. Started it up and the "Do not shift" light stayed on blinking and the check transmission light was on. Flipped the switch and the light blinked out code 33. Went back inside to ask them about it. They said they noticed it too, but said they couldn't read the code. A different service manager sent out a tech to check it. By this time the Do not shift light had turned off. He hooked up the computer and said it was the internal sump temperature. It was bouncing all over the place, not getting a consistant reading. He said they could pull it back in and take a look but it might be a few more days because he wasn't sure if they could get the parts they needed because the transmission was old. The gauge on the dash seemed to be working correctly. We were already a day later than we needed to be, so I told him I'd risk it.

All was good until between Wichita Falls and Abilene, and the light came on again, but didn't go off. I was able to pull into a rest stop, but the tranny didn't downshift as I pulled up, and it wouldn't go into neutral. So it ended up lugging the engine out until it died. I cycled the ignition, and all was normal again. Couldn't find anything else wrong. Drove it again for awhile then the light came back on, and I just continued down the road until I had to stop again, this time in Sweetwater. Same thing, couldn't shift, lugged out the engine, and died. Cycled ignition, everything good again. Took it over to put fuel in it (thats another fun story, let say there was an unhappy trucker involved). Got going again, after awhile the light came on again, rinse repeat, this time in I-20 traffic in Odessa, that had come to a stop. After that, made it the remaining 143 miles without incidnet.

My guess is that during the process of changing the fluids they either knocked somthing loose, or I have a corroded connection some where.

I think I found the box in the generator side compartment that is usually suspect.

So my questions for you all are:

Where are some more places to look for connection issues?

How do I go about cleaning those connections?

TIA
Alpine, Texas
Full Timing
1989 WB 40 "Roll'n Home"
Blog: www.rhhelpers.com
Old 09-20-2015

They did you a favor regarding the Transynd, bill would have been even more. Killing the engine means the converter is staying locked up. Might want to find a real Allison facility before you have a nice tow bill.
Germantown, WI/Myrtle ID
www.AutoTransDesign.com

http://s767.photobucket.com/user/mhohnstein/library/
Old 09-20-2015

United Engines is an Allison facility, and were actually listed in the BB service booklet. Problem now is that I'm at least 140 miles (Midland/Odessa area) from anyone half competent.

10-4 on the Transynd. With us going full time soon, I wanted a bit longer change interval, but in the end it probably wouldn't make much difference with the extra cost of Transynd.
Alpine, Texas
Full Timing
1989 WB 40 "Roll'n Home"
Old 09-20-2015

Is it throwing the same code, 33?

Id check the connection on the side of the trans, and look around there for damaged wiring. Not sure if the plug is on the same side as the trans filter?

It could be the trans computer, but since they worked on the trans, and nowhere around the computer thats where Id look first...

Heres what the manual has to say about the temp sensor...

HTH, Joe
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TempSensorInfo.pdf (240.8 KB, 162 views)

'93 WB40 'Alligator'
Sedona, AZ
Fun-Fun-Fun Till they take the BlueBird Away!
Old 09-20-2015

Yep same code every time.

I'm hoping to get the time to take a look.

My first project was to get the generator going again. It was overheating, and all the hoses need replaced. Got them all pulled yesterday, will go to napa to order new ones tomorrow. Will test T-Stat hopefully today.
Alpine, Texas
Full Timing
1989 WB 40 "Roll'n Home"

Last edited by ICBM99; 09-20-2015 at 02:43 PM.
Old 09-20-2015

Was the PO getting this code before the fluid change?
"Chief's Pride Too"
Old 09-20-2015

Not that I'm aware of, plus I had driven it from Harrison AR to Norman OK two weeks earlier without any issues.

*Edit,

I also wanted to add that all during this time the dash gauge did move according to driving conditions, and the temp was rarely over 200*, most of the time it was under the 200* mark.
Alpine, Texas
Full Timing
1989 WB 40 "Roll'n Home"
Old 09-20-2015

Matt, not sure if yours is the same as mine but if it is there is a plug on the side of the tranny mine is on the same side of the filter. This plug is a quarter turn and pull out mine was so corroded it took a big hammer and a bunch of words they won't let me use here to get it out. It is not a fun place to work so I would check all other connections first. Also there is a ground strap from tranny to the frame, I cleaned mine and added a new one.

I have no idea if your problem is electrical although it does sound like it have you checked the fluid since they changed it? Good luck!
Old 01-22-2016

Matt, did the "blinking do not shift light" ever get resolved on your 89WB?

http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...0&d=1442765641

Quote:
Originally Posted by konehd View Post
Is it throwing the same code, 33?

Id check the connection on the side of the trans, and look around there for damaged wiring. Not sure if the plug is on the same side as the trans filter?

It could be the trans computer, but since they worked on the trans, and nowhere around the computer thats where Id look first...

Heres what the manual has to say about the temp sensor...

HTH, Joe
SOLD 89 FC in 2012; SOLD 88 WB in 2016
Rolla, MO 65401
Old 03-02-2016

Sorry I didn't see your post, I've been busy doing the interior remodel of the bus. I haven't gotten back to the tranny yet. Heck I haven't even finished the Genny project I started back in September. I'm trying to get the interior done first. Sad thing is I haven't been able to even take it for a quick trip around town since I got her home, and the wife hasn't even ridden in it yet!!

It'll probably be another couple weeks before I can get to the mechnical/exterior stuff. *Crosses Fingers!!*

I seriously need to get moving on some more stuff, we want to be on the road by June.
Alpine, Texas
Full Timing
1989 WB 40 "Roll'n Home"