Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Frequently Asked Questions > Comments and Questions about the Wanderlodge factory

Comments and Questions about the Wanderlodge factory If you have a comment or a question about the Wanderlodge factory, ask them here.

Site Search:

Old 05-23-2011

Default New Neighbor

We have a new neighbor whose dad was (somehow) associated with BlueBird delivering coaches to dealerships. Claims to have invented the Dutch door hinged radiator for the FCs - said it was a $5k retrofit. Also said bus or RV was determined by which side of the road the new chassis went to and BBs weigh 1000 lb./ft. All interesting little tidbits. Only met the son so far - looking forward to meeting his dad.
Old 05-23-2011

Interesting you say that just weighed my BB on Sunday and it weigher 42500 and it was loaded down from my weekend trip.
"MARTYRITAVILLE"
Old 05-23-2011
Can't re-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBird View Post
We have a new neighbor whose dad was (somehow) associated with BlueBird delivering coaches to dealerships. Claims to have invented the Dutch door hinged radiator for the FCs - said it was a $5k retrofit. Also said bus or RV was determined by which side of the road the new chassis went to and BBs weigh 1000 lb./ft. All interesting little tidbits. Only met the son so far - looking forward to meeting his dad.

Makes sense. My understanding has been that the swing radiator was first offered at Holland Motor Homes in Michigan. In fact when I built mine, Holland was kind enough to send me a copy of their old literature so that I could replicate it. Somewhere I have a copy of their old ad for doing the "dutch door" installation....

John Stiles
1980 33FC
"My Navion". SOLD
Stockbridge, GA
Old 05-23-2011

I think it was Holland Motor Homes the gentleman worked for - will get more details and tidbits hopefully.
Old 08-17-2014

Leonard, whatever did you find out about your neighbor? Any more interesting facts about BB's?
Old 08-17-2014

I have a brochure in the blue box from a company in Texas who apparantly specialized in swing radiator conversions. Brown industries or something. They also offered generator lifting for added clearance and some job involving increasing rear overhang clearance on the pushers. I assume they did our swing out conversion, and while it works, the welding and fab skills are only marginally better than what Bluebird displayed in welding the so called 10,000 pound receiver hitch on.
Side Bath
3208NA (for now....)
Old 08-17-2014
1983 FC 35 "Casa Billisa"

Had not heard the term "Dutch Radiator Door" for some time. Mostly hear it referred to as a "swing radiator". However, I was cruising my files and noticed this document detailing the Dutch Radiator". Not sure if this is in the archives, but it might help someone. Glad we have one on our 83, did not come stock until 84 or 85 I think.

NH Bill
Attached Files
File Type: doc Dutch Radiator.doc (14.5 KB, 409 views)
St. Petersburg, Florida
Wanderlodge Social: https://mewe.com/profile/5bfc750ae760be22b1797898
Old 08-17-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by garynmike View Post
Leonard, whatever did you find out about your neighbor? Any more interesting facts about BB's?
I haven't seen him since that last post. I live way out in the boondocks and he was surprised to see our Bird. I remember he said BB owners were the nicest people he had ever met.
Old 08-17-2014

Swing radiators is nothing new. I had an early fifties greyhound
Scenicruiser that had one. About 1954 I think. Number
618 if memory serves.
1990 PT-40 Blue Thunder
Old 01-15-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBird View Post
I Decided to see if I might learn a bit more about our swing out radiator upgrade, that came in our 82 FCSB. Fortunately, the first owners took care of this expensive must have upgrade before our purchase. Our rigs first owner purchased her from Holland M.H. and when they traded up at Holland we saw her and gave her a home. She went back there for service about once every two years (13 hr drive) and we always talked to Mike Mullenburg in the service department. His knowledge of and experience with the Wanderlodge was vast. If Holland created the swingout I bet Mike was involved.
Any chance his son is the new neighbor?

Mike & Adrienne Trout
Pasadena, MD
82 FCSB 35'
FMCA 64467s