Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 03-01-2017

Default Texas State Inspection

I am on the west side of Fort Worth, TX (White Settlement) and need to get my new to me 1994 BMC inspected. I have searched the forum some and found a few recommended repair shops and mechanics, but all I need right now is a state inspection. Can someone in this area recommend a place closer than Inland Truck in Denton?
1996 Geo Tracker "Hummingbird" a.k.a. Hummer
Old 03-01-2017

Jimmy the Kwik Kar Lube shop at 6651 Camp Bowie will do it, across the street from me. Go early or late and call first to be sure the inspection guy is there. Also be sure all your lights work before going.
2000 LXI "Fort R #5"
Fort Worth, Tx gardendoc@aol.com
Old 03-01-2017

FYI you can take it anywhere that inspects cars. As Rick said, make sure the lights work as that, the horn and turn signals is about all they will look at (and insurance of course).
1984 FC35RB Sold
Old 03-18-2017

Default Over 26,000 lbs., take it to a truck place

So I took my 30,000 lb. BMC to my usual mechanic down the street. I was told by the gal that does their inspections that if it weighs more than 26,000 lbs., they cannot do the inspection. They recommended the Freightliner house (Premier Truck Group). They were too busy, so they recommended Cowser Tire right next door. Their inspector, Tom, did a great job. He took time to open up one of the license plate lights and fiddle with it to get it working (only one is needed). I paid my $7.00 and a few days later I'm at the courthouse writing a check for thousands of dollars for sales tax, registration fee, emissions fee, a fee for this and a fee for that. Since the weight was not on the title, I showed a weigh slip from a CAT scale at a nearby truck stop.
Old 03-20-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by chokmah View Post
So I took my 30,000 lb. BMC to my usual mechanic down the street. I was told by the gal that does their inspections that if it weighs more than 26,000 lbs., they cannot do the inspection. They recommended the Freightliner house (Premier Truck Group). They were too busy, so they recommended Cowser Tire right next door. Their inspector, Tom, did a great job. He took time to open up one of the license plate lights and fiddle with it to get it working (only one is needed). I paid my $7.00 and a few days later I'm at the courthouse writing a check for thousands of dollars for sales tax, registration fee, emissions fee, a fee for this and a fee for that. Since the weight was not on the title, I showed a weigh slip from a CAT scale at a nearby truck stop.
That is strange (or I've been lucky). I've been using a couple of different "quickie inspection" stations for years...they never even ask the weight (maybe that is why).
1984 FC35RB Sold
Old 03-20-2017

I don't see anything wrong with that. I would think that any liability is on the inspection station. I don't think RVs are very high on the radar for these kinds of things. You know, Texas requires a class B license to drive a private vehicle weighing over 26,000 lbs. too, but hardly nobody bothers with it (https://www.dps.texas.gov/DriverLicense/dlClasses.htm).
Old 03-21-2017
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chokmah View Post
I don't see anything wrong with that. I would think that any liability is on the inspection station. I don't think RVs are very high on the radar for these kinds of things. You know, Texas requires a class B license to drive a private vehicle weighing over 26,000 lbs. too, but hardly nobody bothers with it (https://www.dps.texas.gov/DriverLicense/dlClasses.htm).

That is until there is an accident and the investigating officer makes a note of that on his report and a sharp attorney sees it and then the fun begins with any insurance claims or guilt or innocence is discussed in a court of law. It is much easier to just take the time to get the correct drivers license in the first place.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 03-21-2017

John is correct, if in an accident your insurance company will not pay the claim if you don't have the appropriate license.

mark kitchens
Athens, Tx
1995 WB42
C: 214 477 3757
markkitch@aol.com
Old 03-21-2017

OK, I agree with John and Mark. Thanks for your input. Even if you were able to blame the inspection station, probably by hiring a lawyer, it would certainly not be worth it. Forgive my bluntness, but the excuse "nothing bad has happened" is a poor one. It's all about risk. For example, if you have been texting while speeding while not wearing a seat belt and never checking your tires for years and years and nothing bad has happened, that doesn't mean you are not taking a big risk. (Sorry to hijack the thread).
Old 03-21-2017

OK, talked to a DPS contact...the over 26k inspection is for "commercial vehicles" which in Tx is confusing because you can be less than 26k and be commercial or more (like us) and not. For my bus the basic safety inspection is all this is required. I've got my class B license so he said I'm good FYI if the inspection station is not authorized to inspect the type of vehicle the computer at the inspection station will reject the inspection when they enter the vin and reg info.
1984 FC35RB Sold