Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues)

PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your PT or WB model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it....list your PT Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 12-27-2017
RV Appraiser

Default 95 -97 S60 Charge Air Cooler, CAC ?

Just a thought, is the CAC on the wide body units with the S60 Detroit's the same or are there variations in size & configuration?

Since these coaches are orphans and no factory support should we think of the possibility for a group buy on a few CAC units? Providing the CAC for a number of years are the same in the wide body coaches with the 60 series engine. Such as 95 - 97 or newer. What about the 8V92 on the 95WB is that CAC the same?

My 95 S60 coach is currently in the shop with a failed CAC and after reading through the CAC threads I have seen were several others have had issues, and that is not counting those individuals who don't post. Let's hear it
Louisville, KY/Jeffersonville, IN
2000 Jeep Cherokee
Our Blog
Our Location
https://allwheelappraisals.com/
Email or call only - please do not send PM

johns.mcginnis @ hotmail.com
502-417-5681
.,=====o00
//___l__,\____\,___
l_--- \___l----[]lllllll[]
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_
Old 12-27-2017

I think the 95 and 96 CAC are the same. They lowered the engine in 97 and seems like I read it was different. I sent mine to Fleet in Alabama and they rebuilt it very satisfactorily. I think it was around $900 + ship (1 way) in 2012.
Good Luck
Dan

Give Mel a call at:
Fleet Air Technology
998 Railroad St. NW
Hartselle, AL 35640
1-800-398-5471
1996 WB-42
2006 Trailblazer LT 4wd
Bartow, Fl
dclembo128@verizon.net
Old 12-27-2017

What happens when your CAC fails. Just curious...

Randy & Deborah Turner
'97 WLWB 43'
"horizons..."

Travel Blog
Old 12-27-2017
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by birds_first View Post
Just a thought, is the CAC on the wide body units with the S60 Detroit's the same or are there variations in size & configuration?

Since these coaches are orphans and no factory support should we think of the possibility for a group buy on a few CAC units? Providing the CAC for a number of years are the same in the wide body coaches with the 60 series engine. Such as 95 - 97 or newer. What about the 8V92 on the 95WB is that CAC the same?

My 95 S60 coach is currently in the shop with a failed CAC and after reading through the CAC threads I have seen were several others have had issues, and that is not counting those individuals who don't post. Let's hear it
The 95 and 96 WB with S60 use the same CAC.
They are easy to remove for service.

I am nt sure if the 97WB with S60 is the same as the LXIs or not.
The 97 is a PITA to remove.

The 98-2003 S 60 LXI CAC is a PITA to remove also.

The LX uses a different CAC than the S 60,i have no experience with
them.

The 8V92 uses an entirely different CAC,its built into the engine under the blower.

The CACs i have replaced the company ised my old end tanks and welded them onto a new core.
The shops i have used have no idea what our CACs look like,size or anything else,
There are no records that i am aware of.

So,what i did before was ship my old CAC off to the rebuild shop,once they have it in hand they can reuse the ends or fabricate them from scratch,
But they have to have the old ones to copy.

So,getting a group buy would be hard,since they don't have the tanks and we are not sure that each model Bird is the same.

As to being an orphan,i would not call BB for a new CAC even if they were still in business,i can bet it would be $3000 more than the ones i buy in Alabama.

WE had a new CAC built for a 97 WB last summer,it took about a week to get it done.
And the CAC shop told us about a new better core,its an extruded core and should last longer,and have better performance that the old style,the new extruded core was a few hundred more dollars and we went with it.

Randy T.
If your engine boost is low,or has changed and gotten low,you may have a leaking CAC.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 12-27-2017

your loose horse power and burn more fuel.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 12-28-2017
1995 WB 42’ Series 60

You should expect close to 30psi at max boost per Silverleaf, not dash gage.
Please use e mail instead of Private Message
Mallie@EuLake.com
Old 12-28-2017

John,

I had my CAC repaired this past fall. Getting it out is a PITA as Randy mentioned. 3 guys and assist of fork lift out and place back in. I also am not sure if the 97 is same as yours but will post in case others are searching.
Two options I think. I am not a guru as many here so might be more options. One is to remove it out the bottom of the bus because the cross member blocks the exit out the side . The other, and may be not preferred but is easier. Pop the river on the lower cross member then bring CAC out the side. Bolt back together with stainless after job complete. I also had new stainless attachment expansion screws replace all the old steel ones that held the panels in place for the CAC and the smaller panel in front of it.
Clarke power in Fort Wayne Indiana (they are amazing and very helpful and honest) did All the work and they use a RAD shop just across the line in Ohio. Sent the CAC out and had it repaired and painted. Had two massive cracks on both tanks. I have some pinhole leaks in the core that are almost not detected under pressure and nothing to do but wait and see if it needs recored at some point but did not do at this time.
While you are having this work done, make sure to check the turbo. Easy to access with everything apart. With it being over 20 years old and probably sitting for many of those years, mine was beginning to fail and pass oil. I can’t remember number exactly but for about 800 dollars had a Detroit certified rebuild put in.
I was getting between 8-14 on the boost last year. After these fixes I easily get 30 if needed and on my scangauge exceed that slightly on occasion. You will be amazed how effortlessly the coach accelerates and even cruises at speed with the repair. You will not be disappointed.
Total cost for repair of CAC , labor, and replacement cost of turbo was around 2k.
I even had them rush everything because needed to use the bus with the kids tailgate . Gave them the bus Monday afternoon and they had it back together Friday at noon for pickup.
260-414-3253
Jonadair68@yahoo.com
Old 12-28-2017

I'm thinking that you have them made by your local shop like a old FC radiator
Cape Cod,ma
Old 12-28-2017

Jon,

I had some jake brake work done there also. I agree with your assessment of that company. Great experience.
Old 12-28-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon 1968 View Post
John,

I had my CAC repaired this past fall. Getting it out is a PITA as Randy mentioned. 3 guys and assist of fork lift out and place back in. I also am not sure if the 97 is same as yours but will post in case others are searching.
Two options I think. I am not a guru as many here so might be more options. One is to remove it out the bottom of the bus because the cross member blocks the exit out the side . The other, and may be not preferred but is easier. Pop the river on the lower cross member then bring CAC out the side. Bolt back together with stainless after job complete. I also had new stainless attachment expansion screws replace all the old steel ones that held the panels in place for the CAC and the smaller panel in front of it.
Clarke power in Fort Wayne Indiana (they are amazing and very helpful and honest) did All the work and they use a RAD shop just across the line in Ohio. Sent the CAC out and had it repaired and painted. Had two massive cracks on both tanks. I have some pinhole leaks in the core that are almost not detected under pressure and nothing to do but wait and see if it needs recored at some point but did not do at this time.
While you are having this work done, make sure to check the turbo. Easy to access with everything apart. With it being over 20 years old and probably sitting for many of those years, mine was beginning to fail and pass oil. I can’t remember number exactly but for about 800 dollars had a Detroit certified rebuild put in.
I was getting between 8-14 on the boost last year. After these fixes I easily get 30 if needed and on my scangauge exceed that slightly on occasion. You will be amazed how effortlessly the coach accelerates and even cruises at speed with the repair. You will not be disappointed.
Total cost for repair of CAC , labor, and replacement cost of turbo was around 2k.
I even had them rush everything because needed to use the bus with the kids tailgate . Gave them the bus Monday afternoon and they had it back together Friday at noon for pickup.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrueckwald View Post
Jon,

I had some jake brake work done there also. I agree with your assessment of that company. Great experience.
I went there soon after getting my bus 10 years ago. Thought I had a transmission issue. They checked it and all was ok. Must have been the "grounds" again. Anyway, they did a super job, and didn't even charge me, because I had the diagnostic plug pulled out and ready for them. I had heard nothing but good things about them from locals that used them and would and have recommended them highly. I had Greg put Clark Power Service on his map. During that visit I saw more than a dozen brand new S-60s sitting in their shop, still in the shipping crate. They were swapping them out for a fleet in town. They always seem busy.

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN