Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 09-07-2009

Default NEWBIE AC PROBLEM

Here are the symptoms: Running generator and three roof A/C and interior lights. Gauges over entry door read as follows: AC voltage leg 1: 140 volts. Leg 2 : 110 volts... Amps leg1 :0 & Leg 2: 41 amps. Thought maybe gauges were wrong so tested duplex outlets, some read read 110 others 140. Turned off each air and checked gauges as each shutdown ; only leg 2 ammeter dropped off. Not sure if this is related to only having some duplexes hot when plugged into 20 amp. Wondering if transfer switch is what I should be looking at. Can any of you gurus help me out?

95 WLWB 40' SOLD!

"RARA AVIS"

Morristown, Tennessee

FMCA #F27720
Old 09-07-2009
davidmbrady

Elliot,

I don't think there's anything wrong. It looks like you have 2 AC's on one leg and one on the other, and for whatever reason, only the 2 AC's on leg 2 were running when you looked at the Ampere gauges. Maybe the AC on leg one was short cycling or maybe it's compressor wasn't running and only the fan was blowing. I'm assuming that there are devices that you can turn on to get a deflection on leg one's ampere gauge? If not, then the gauge may be bad. The thing is that the genny is powering two legs that are relatively unbalanced. You have inductive loads on each, but twice the reactance on leg 2. This causes the current and voltage to be out of phase on leg one, and greatly out of phase on leg 2. This puts a large strain on the generator, which is trying hard to produce "in phase" current and voltage. The outcome is 110V on leg one and 140V on leg 2. If you want to be easy on your generator try running only 1 AC on each leg, and use your third AC judiciously.
Old 09-07-2009

Elliot,

While I don't get that much difference in voltages, I do get a mild voltage difference when running the AC's. There's 2 on one leg and one on the other and it does show up soemtimes kind of weird on the meters. Start by getting power on and stable with nothing on, both legs should be equal. Then start turning on 1 AC at a time and note what the meters do. You can then figure out what combination to run them in to minimize problems.

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 09-07-2009

Unfortunately when all three acs were off,the voltages still read 110 & 140 with the gen running. I'm concerned about plugging any appliance in to one of the 140 volts by mistake.

95 WLWB 40' SOLD!

"RARA AVIS"

Morristown, Tennessee

FMCA #F27720
Old 09-07-2009

Sounds like the regulator in the genny needs some work.

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 09-07-2009

Not to confuse the issue, but one more anomaly: with gen and shore power disconnected. inverter on, some duplexes are hot others are dead, including (unfortunately),the one that the bat chargers are plugged into! I'm trying to find the common denominator to all this.

95 WLWB 40' SOLD!

"RARA AVIS"

Morristown, Tennessee

FMCA #F27720
Old 09-07-2009

I wouldn't think you would want the battery charger outlet hot when running on your inverter.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 09-07-2009
davidmbrady

That's right, inverter/charger operation should be exclusive or. The receptacles that are dead may not be wired up to the inverter.
Old 09-07-2009
Gardner

If the charger was powered by the inverter, which itself is powered by the batteries, you would be asking the batteries to charge themselves. If you can make that work, patient it.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 09-07-2009

perpetual energy machine! Now THAT would be a useful option!!

95 WLWB 40' SOLD!

"RARA AVIS"

Morristown, Tennessee

FMCA #F27720