Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 09-04-2012

Default Rusty Bolts

I found this article the other day while searching the web for some other information. I tried this and it works!!!!! Just thought I would share this with everyone. Many of you may already know about this stuff but they say the DOT 3 and acetone works the best. You would have to be careful not to use it around an open flame, but most of the other penetrating oils are the same way. Some interesting comparisons below and I use to be a PB Blaster user, but this new blend is much cheaper and works better.

Machinist's Workshop magazine tested penetrants for break out torque on rusted nuts. They arranged a subjective test of all the popular penetrants with the control being the torque required to remove the nut from a "scientifically rusted" environment. The results are as follows;
Penetrating oil........... Average load
None ...................... 516 pounds
WD-40 .................... 238 pounds
PB Blaster ................ 214 pounds
Liquid Wrench ........... 127 pounds
Kano Kroil ................ 106 pounds
ATF-Acetone mix...........53 pounds
The ATF-Acetone mix was a "home brew" mix of 50-50 automatic transmission fluid and acetone. You can also use DOT3 and acetone and works even a bit better.

Good Luck and hope this is of some help!!!!!
Old 09-04-2012

Before we break exhaust manifold bolts loose, we would spray antifreeze on them the night before. The antifreeze attracts moisture.
Water is a good penetration as well.
Old 09-04-2012

This is great to know!! I always like to learn about anything that keeps me from having to drill out a broken bolt. I will add this to my documentation and give it a try. Thanks!!!!
Old 09-04-2012

Kano Kroil is what I have been using for 2 years, thanks to being turned onto it by Dan Sunderland. Great stuff- order it online if you cannot find it.
www.ernieekbergflooring.net
Old 09-04-2012

Yes Ernie, very good stuff
Old 09-05-2012

Default Penetrant

I would have one concern with the ATF-Acetone mixture. Acetone is an incredibly strong solvent and will dissolve almost anything including lots of paint formulations. Sometimes I am spraying penetrant and what I am spraying is near some painted surface (I am reminded of trying to get those screws, that had rusted, out of the moldings when I was replacing them with stainless). I could spray the screws with PB Blaster watch it suck in around the screw, and then wipe up the overspray with a paper towel...no problem. Acetone may not dissolve a cured urethane paint, but I feel confident it will soften or craze the surface if allowed to stay on there long.

So, this is probably a great solution, but around paint or anything else that will dissolve in acetone you may want to use one of the other ones. I have not tried the liquid wrench product.

Lee - 423-292-5767 or Jacque 423-262-9569
or lnjdavis@gmail.com Please call or email instead of private messages

1995 BMC 37
300 HP Cummins 6CTA 8.3 Turbocharged Diesel
Boldly Going Nowhere
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/index.cfm #117
Old 09-05-2012

Default Kano-Kroil

I was looking to buy some of this stuff and as it turns out the company is in Nashville where we will be for the next 2 weeks and they said I could come buy and purchase it there. (Otherwise it is only online)

Anyway it is sold in spray cans, 1 gallon cans, and cans like the old 3-in-one oil cans. They have other products too

http://www.kanolabs.com/

I was going to buy one of the big spray cans which is $18 plus 10% TN sales tax so about $20. A case is $152 plus 10% so is about $168

I am planning to come to RATS, so if anyone wants a can (or one of their other products), and will be at RATS, I will pick it up and bring it to you there . There are 12 cans of the big spray can size in a case so if enough people want a can I will get a case and bring that and we can split the cost. If you want something else, and I have room, I'll get that for you. If we don't get a case the big spray cans will be $20 each.

Gallons are $50 and the little cans are $9 each, both plus tax. You can start ordering on the website without actually finishing the order to get to the price list.

Don't send me an private message, call or use the email address below.

I plan to go by next week, probably mid-week, and don't plan to make two trips so let me know soon.

Best,

1995 BMC 37
Boldly Going Nowhere
Old 09-05-2012

Default Slikene ?

That Kano Labs product called Slikene might be good for lubricating a tow bar or maybe the window tracks.

http://www.kanolabs.com/indLub.html#anchor219786

Anyone had any experience with that? Or any of their other products for that matter?

1995 BMC 37
Boldly Going Nowhere
Old 09-05-2012
GARY,M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Davis View Post
I would have one concern with the ATF-Acetone mixture. Acetone is an incredibly strong solvent and will dissolve almost anything including lots of paint formulations. Sometimes I am spraying penetrant and what I am spraying is near some painted surface (I am reminded of trying to get those screws, that had rusted, out of the moldings when I was replacing them with stainless). I could spray the screws with PB Blaster watch it suck in around the screw, and then wipe up the overspray with a paper towel...no problem. Acetone may not dissolve a cured urethane paint, but I feel confident it will soften or craze the surface if allowed to stay on there long.

So, this is probably a great solution, but around paint or anything else that will dissolve in acetone you may want to use one of the other ones. I have not tried the liquid wrench product.
brake fluid eats paint also.
ill stick with WD-40 were i can not get a torch in to heat up the bolt
Old 09-06-2012

Default Brake Fluid

Years ago I took a car in for brake work and in the process the mechanic dripped some brake fluid on the fender and hood. This was back when GM used lacquers (not enamels as Ford was doing) as top coats which looked really great with that high gloss and depth of finish but were not very resistant to anything.

The brake fluid ended up dissolving the paint and I had spots all over the finish. I took it back to the mechanic who swore he didn't do it but it was so obvious that it really was his fault since nothing else had been done by anyone else, he eventually ended up paying for the repaint. Still, big long drawn out hassle.

1995 BMC 37
Boldly Going Nowhere