Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 11-01-2013

I have a 1990 sp36 new owner when I had a water leak under the sink I found the heat tape had burned the water line I was very surprised to see that and lucky to have a water leak
Old 11-13-2013
TECHNOMAGE

Smile FRESHWATER TANK HEAT PAD

When I removed the fresh water tank to fix a leak, I found the floor "scorched" under the heater pad. In a previous post I mentioned that it was 90watts. I still have it and re-looked at the print on it and its states 900Watts(I didn't see a decimal point)! Its about a foot square and its little thermostat is molded into the unit. It might have shared a circuit breaker with something else. The wires looked pretty thin.

Cal
Old 11-14-2013

On my 87 I have the breakers shut off and I have unplugged the heat cable from behind the kitchen sink. I have a electric baseboard heater under the kitchen sink and under the bed.
What else should I be disconnecting before I turn on the breakers ?

What do the battery heaters look like, I thought they mount on each battery ?

Anything to look for on engine block heater ?

thanks
Old 11-14-2013
AKA Tent Boy

Kiki,
On my '84 FC the battery heaters fit in between the batteries and are controlled by an on/off switch behind the drivers seat...
They are flat square heating elements that fit between the batts...

My block heater has a switch right in front of the passenger's feet area, it has a lighted switch, also same for batt heater switch

HTH

Larry Dill & Barbara Ribar
Yuma, AZ. 85367
'95 37' BMC 'Pura Vida'
'84 35' FCSB SOLD
2006 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
sailor7cs@gmail.com
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=26

"Barbara does all the driving, I just hold the wheel"

Last edited by sailor7cs; 11-14-2013 at 02:18 PM. Reason: adding second statement
Old 11-14-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor7cs View Post
Kiki,
On my '84 FC the battery heaters fit in between the batteries and are controlled by an on/off switch behind the drivers seat...
They are flat square heating elements that fit between the batts...

My block heater has a switch right in front of the passenger's feet area, it has a lighted switch, also same for batt heater switch

HTH
I have switches I haven't checked to see if they function. I know I haven't seen the battery heaters, but my Bird has been in warm climates most of its life. I'll climb under there when I get a chance and see if can tell where they once were wired in.
Old 11-14-2013
TECHNOMAGE

Default BATTERY HEATERS?

HI:

In my 1989 SP36 I found a circuit breaker that was labeled "battery heater",
but I found no evidence of battery heaters ever being previously installed
amongst the coach batteries nor engine batteries.
There are are no 120 Volt wires in the coach battery compartment. If I wanted a little heat in that compartment, I would pack some fiberglass to keep the winter breezes and slush out of that compartment and put a small heater like a
60W appliance light bulb with a shatter guard. There may be inexpensive
contact heaters available, but I'd want them to be energy limited and failsafe and fireproof (if there is such a thing).

Cal
Old 08-15-2014

Sorry to bring this up, but winters coming. What have most people done, I know some have shut off the breakers but I wanted to get the wiring.

I unplugged the one heat tape under the kitchen sink, and turned the electric baseboard all the way down. I know about this junction box in the rear under the bed that runs the electric baseboard and the heat tape in the rear. Cut the wires in the box ? Are there any other places that I am missing.
Are the electric baseboards a hazard, do they work, has anyone found alternatives maybe a small ceramic ?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	191.1 KB
ID:	30823
Old 08-15-2014

the baseboard heaters can be removed and cleaned. the old heat tape, under watertank mats, battery warm mats should be disconnected
www.ernieekbergflooring.net
Old 08-16-2014

Kiki, What Ernie said. I don't hesitate to use my electric heaters, when I'm in the coach. I don't leave them on when I'm not though. I use a small ceramic heater in the basement and one inside when we are not in the coach and it is parked in my garage. They are only turned on when I think the temp may drop too low in the garage. Usually keep the garage above freezing with the pellet stove I keep out there, but on occasion I run out or am just too lazy to fill it. Anyway, I don't know your situation of where you store it in the winter but if your outside the best bet is to just winterize it and forget it. I keep mine ready to travel all the time or I use it as guest quarters, so there is water in it all the time.

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN
Old 08-20-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by isp2952 View Post
Kiki, What Ernie said. I don't hesitate to use my electric heaters, when I'm in the coach. I don't leave them on when I'm not though. I use a small ceramic heater in the basement and one inside when we are not in the coach and it is parked in my garage. They are only turned on when I think the temp may drop too low in the garage. Usually keep the garage above freezing with the pellet stove I keep out there, but on occasion I run out or am just too lazy to fill it. Anyway, I don't know your situation of where you store it in the winter but if your outside the best bet is to just winterize it and forget it. I keep mine ready to travel all the time or I use it as guest quarters, so there is water in it all the time.
Thanks Jim, and Erine.
I was mainly concerned about the fire danger and relying on the systems that are in place to keep the pipes from freezing, and I wanted to get the source so I could turn my breakers on. I had the Bird in a heated warehouse this last winter but winterized anyway. I was hoping to use to coach more this winter and wanted to modify the existing systems(ie heat tape) so they were safe from fire or ice. There is a post by Jon C, about using some McMaster Carr heat tape in place of the existing stuff, I wasn't sure about the electric baseboards and if there is a better option.