Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > FC (Forward Control Unique Issues)

FC (Forward Control Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your FC model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.......List your FC Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 03-01-2013
Administrator

Dextron powersteering fluid it's red in color
Old 03-01-2013

Jim, as Bill sez, PS reservoir uses Dextron ATF (I used Dextron III) and added a bottle of Lucas PS additive. There is a small 'T-handle' on the reservoir cover and attached to the 'T-handle' is the dipstick for the reservoir. Do not overfill.
SOLD 89 FC in 2012; SOLD 88 WB in 2016
Rolla, MO 65401
Old 03-01-2013

Ok, Dextron III it is.......Thanks guys for the information I was curious what that t-handle was for? A dipstick!!!

Jim

Jim Skinner
San Diego, CA
1989 FC35 "Freedom Bird"
Old 03-01-2013
RV Appraiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD-Jim View Post
Ok, Dextron III it is.......Thanks guys for the information I was curious what that t-handle was for? A dipstick!!!

Jim
Jim, You can also use Dextron III in your HWH levelers as well.
Louisville, KY/Jeffersonville, IN
2000 Jeep Cherokee
Our Blog
Our Location
https://allwheelappraisals.com/
Email or call only - please do not send PM

johns.mcginnis @ hotmail.com
502-417-5681
.,=====o00
//___l__,\____\,___
l_--- \___l----[]lllllll[]
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_
Old 04-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcyeaw View Post
Jim,
The high pressure hose enters the front of the steering box. There is not enough room for hands and eyes at the same time. I tied a wire to the hose to lift it into place because I kept dropping it and it would fall out of reach. I think I spent an hour or more trying to get it threaded into the box. The rest are much easier.

Here is a closer shot where the new front hose fitting is visible.

Gardner, thanks for nice roundup on power steering. I have a 79 FC XV, and the steering system leaks. What bothers me most is that the brake treadle and gas pedal get wet and slick. Will check hoses, but did notice the HF64 unit is rather wet, as well as carpet around gas and brake pedal. My question is where did you acquire the 90 degree fitting that attaches to the steering unit as shown in your picture? Many thanks to the entire group. I've been looking at many posts and have had many questions answered.
Best Regards,
Chris Miller
Old 04-28-2013
Gardner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tr250 View Post
Gardner, thanks for nice roundup on power steering. I have a 79 FC XV, and the steering system leaks. What bothers me most is that the brake treadle and gas pedal get wet and slick. Will check hoses, but did notice the HF64 unit is rather wet, as well as carpet around gas and brake pedal. My question is where did you acquire the 90 degree fitting that attaches to the steering unit as shown in your picture? Many thanks to the entire group. I've been looking at many posts and have had many questions answered.
Best Regards,
Chris Miller
Chris,
When I had the hose made up they matched the original fitting which was 90 degrees. It is not an adapter, it is the actual hose fitting. If you have fluid getting on the pedals it could also be the top seal on the box. I have another post where I documented changing that seal referenced earlier in the post.

http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...+steering+seal
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 05-27-2013

I had to cut last weeks camping trip short. I got about 40 miles outside of town and noticed a cloud behind me and it appeared I was the cause of it. From what I could tell the power steering return hose was leaking at the base of the reservior where it connected to the hose barb. I figured the old hose got fatigued where it connected to the barb. I was wrong. The inner liner of the hose had become rock hard and had cracked when I had moved the reservior a couple of inches to get my air throttle linkage to fit. It wasn't just the hose end that got rock hard, the entire hose was this way. With the inner liner cracked, the fluid was coming out the end of the hose where the web reinforcing material is between the inner and out hose layers.

I soon learned that not all NAPA's are created equal and the one's on my route were not as well equipped to make up hoses or have hose material like my home town NAPA. After going 30 more miles away from home trying to find the correct hose and the fittings to make a 5/8 hose splice, I determined the best place to fix this was in my own driveway and not at a State Park.

I followed the procedure pretty much as Gardner described. To get to the steering box connections, going through the top is easier than trying to remove the battery box. To remove the top high pressure hose, a 7/8 crows foot worked for me. The new hose needed a 15/16 crows foot but it still all fit. The one thing I did different was in attaching the high pressure hose, I didn't have enough room to align the hose, to turn the fitting and get the threads to grab. Even with the wire attached, as Gardner showed, I couldn't pull, align and twist all at once. Although the picture of the top of the box shows a 90 degree fitting, the 90 degree fitting is not part of the hose assembly. The fitting screws into the steering box and then there is a staight hose connection thats attached to the bottom of the elbow.

What I noticed was that laying on my back, I could stare straigh up to the bottom of the 90 degree fitting. There is enough room to get the hose in there but not an arm and the hose. What I did was slip a piece of 1" heater hose over the end of the high pressure hose coupler. This kept the end of the coupler from turning. I was then able to thread the hose up to the coulper and push up and twist the hose onto the fitting. Wallah! From the top side I used my crows foot to push the heater hose down on the fitting a little more and I was then able tight the fitting. Below are some pictures of what I am talking about.

Tim

Tim Kuhlman
Battle Ground, WA
83 FC35
Old 05-27-2013
Gardner

Tim,
Nice idea using the hose to hold the fitting while you twisted it on....I'll bet you're happy this job is done..I doubt I could do it again as time is catching up with me and the physical twisting is becoming impossible..do it while you still can.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 05-27-2013

I can't wait to climb under some of the FC's out there. The Steering set up looks "painfully" familiar to the early PT's. The mid eighties PT's apparently changed the setup, from what I could tell when looking at Markus's compared to mine.
john@pletcherfire.com
Old 05-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcyeaw View Post
Tim,
Nice idea using the hose to hold the fitting while you twisted it on....I'll bet you're happy this job is done..I doubt I could do it again as time is catching up with me and the physical twisting is becoming impossible..do it while you still can.
Oh yeah, I am definitely happy it is over. Now let the healing begin. In the picture you will see a small piece of 3/4" x 3/4" angle iron to the top left of the fitting. That sucker would bite into my hand every time I would reach down and try to twist that fitting on there. I double checked to make sure I had no sections of hose that could rub on something. I don't want to do this job again.

Tim

Tim Kuhlman
Battle Ground, WA
83 FC35