Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Good, Bad, and Ugly > RV Products Review

RV Products Review Do you use or know of a RV related product that you would like to give us your opinion of good or bad, just list it here and be as descriptive as possible about it and be sure to tell us where we can purchase it at.

Site Search:

Old 06-06-2010

Default How about a RV products review section?

How about a RV products review section?

I have purchased some products tested them and would be willing to share that information with others. A real world experience might help someone decide if that product is for them or not.

Two recent products for example are "The Sewer Solution" and the new Winegard M1 Portable Satellite Dish. Both are good, but especially The Sewer Solution may not be for everyone. The M1 I really like. I can explain in detail if interested.

Dennis
Old 06-06-2010
Forum Moderator

Dennis that is an excellent suggestion. I will champion your suggestion to the forum owner.
Old 06-06-2010

Works for me.
Old 06-06-2010
Forum owner

If John or Bill can add it to WOG its ok with me.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 06-06-2010
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
How about a RV products review section?

I have purchased some products tested them and would be willing to share that information with others. A real world experience might help someone decide if that product is for them or not.

Two recent products for example are "The Sewer Solution" and the new Winegard M1 Portable Satellite Dish. Both are good, but especially The Sewer Solution may not be for everyone. The M1 I really like. I can explain in detail if interested.

Dennis

Here you go Dennis,

Tell us all about those RV products that you have tested for us.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 06-07-2010

Okay, first The Sewer Solution (TSS):

I first purchased this product because there is not a lot of room for a long 3 inch sewer hose in the sewer bay of an M380 and the "U" shaped sewer compartment could not support more than 10 feet of hose and that without the end connectors.

I was very pleased how nicely 20 feet of TSS which is only 1 inch in diameter fit in the sewer bay AND it did perform as advertised. I originally had a problem with it because I did not undertand one aspect of its operatin and I will explain. TSS requires a hose with running water to be attached to it in order for the product to empty either the black or grey water tanks - the water must be running BEFORE you open either valve to empty the tank; if you open the valve and then turn on the water it will not function properly there seems to be a vacume block with the exception that once you empty the grey water tank you can shut the hose off and leave the valve in the open position and the tank will drain through.

Once I learned how to properly operate TSS I found that it takes about 7, 8 or 9 minutes to empty a nearly full black water tank; the jet from the connected water hose breaks down the solids so they will pass into the one inch hose. To do a good tank flushing however requires two hoses connected at the same time, one to the coaches black water tank flush inlet and the other to TSS to create the venturi that operates the system.

The bottom line for me is that unless you have a specific need for TSS and I will explain what that might be, it is more of a hassle than it is worth - the extra time and the two hoses to flush etc. Where TSS would definitely be an advantage however is if you wanted to empty your tanks into a home sewer clean out or home toilet. It can "pump" up hill and for some 30 feet or so and being only a one inch line it should work fine for that application. I sure would not want to have to use it at a dump station with others waiting behind me given the need for two hoses and the extra time to break down the solids.

http://www.sewersolution.com/

I have gone back to the 3 inch hose and use the TSS for a back up. A contractor friend gave me a 6 inch by 5 foot PVC pipe which fits nicely in one of my bays where I keep wheel chocks, jack pads etc. and the 3 inch line is a snap to put in and take out.

As for the new Winegard M1 Portable satelit dish. It is perfect! I comes in a case that looks like a woman's hat box. The case is 17 inches I believe so the Sat dish is someone smaller. The LBN projects out from the center of the dish unlike other Sat dishes where the LBN is mounted on an arm in front of the dish. The case opens into two parts, upper case with the dish which lifts up and outward from the case and lower case which is a swivel base for the top case with the dish. The case can be easily be filled with water - takes one minute - and easily emptied too. This water gives the Sat dish great stability. Recently I used it at a campground and when the wind came up all the guys using tripods got moved around or toppled and had to re-find the Sat. The M1 did not move an inch. I got over 100 stations clear as a bell with that little dish and when you close the case you can literally toss it into the bay, it not only doesn't take up a lot of room, but the dish is completely protected in that solid case. The only thing I think they should have added was little adjustable legs so you do not have to use shims on uneven ground to level it. You can also mount it on a tripod if you so desire where as Winegard's previous fold up Sat dish could not be mounted on a tripod. This is a great portable dish. I highly recommend it.

http://www.winegard.com/carryout/index.php

Watch Video; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJRMcsB63hI

Dennis
Old 06-07-2010

PS to my above comments on The Sewer Solution: Yes I know that TSS has a unique twist up, twist down head that sends the water jet into the black or grey water tank to flush them out - in which case you would only need one hose, but I found it does not flush out the black water tank nearly as good as using the Coach's flush inlet which requires you to add a second hose. Also, TSS does use (wastes) a lot of water. But again if you want to empty your tank into your home sewer system this product may just be the thing for you.

Dennis
Old 06-07-2010
Skidder

Default RV Products Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
Okay, first The Sewer Solution (TSS):

I first purchased this product because there is not a lot of room for a long 3 inch sewer hose in the sewer bay of an M380 and the "U" shaped sewer compartment could not support more than 10 feet of hose and that without the end connectors.

I was very pleased how nicely 20 feet of TSS which is only 1 inch in diameter fit in the sewer bay AND it did perform as advertised. I originally had a problem with it because I did not undertand one aspect of its operatin and I will explain. TSS requires a hose with running water to be attached to it in order for the product to empty either the black or grey water tanks - the water must be running BEFORE you open either valve to empty the tank; if you open the valve and then turn on the water it will not function properly there seems to be a vacume block with the exception that once you empty the grey water tank you can shut the hose off and leave the valve in the open position and the tank will drain through.

Once I learned how to properly operate TSS I found that it takes about 7, 8 or 9 minutes to empty a nearly full black water tank; the jet from the connected water hose breaks down the solids so they will pass into the one inch hose. To do a good tank flushing however requires two hoses connected at the same time, one to the coaches black water tank flush inlet and the other to TSS to create the venturi that operates the system.

The bottom line for me is that unless you have a specific need for TSS and I will explain what that might be, it is more of a hassle than it is worth - the extra time and the two hoses to flush etc. Where TSS would definitely be an advantage however is if you wanted to empty your tanks into a home sewer clean out or home toilet. It can "pump" up hill and for some 30 feet or so and being only a one inch line it should work fine for that application. I sure would not want to have to use it at a dump station with others waiting behind me given the need for two hoses and the extra time to break down the solids.

I have gone back to the 3 inch hose and use the TSS for a back up. A contractor friend gave me a 6 inch by 5 foot PVC pipe which fits nicely in one of my bays where I keep wheel chocks, jack pads etc. and the 3 inch line is a snap to put in and take out.

As for the new Winegard M1 Portable satelit dish. It is perfect! I comes in a case that looks like a woman's hat box. The case is 17 inches I believe so the Sat dish is someone smaller. The LBN projects out from the center of the dish unlike other Sat dishes where the LBN is mounted on an arm in front of the dish. The case opens into two parts, upper case with the dish which lifts up and outward from the case and lower case which is a swivel base for the top case with the dish. The case can be easily be filled with water - takes one minute - and easily emptied too. This water gives the Sat dish great stability. Recently I used it at a campground and when the wind came up all the guys using tripods got moved around or toppled and had to re-find the Sat. The M1 did not move an inch. I got over 100 stations clear as a bell with that little dish and when you close the case you can literally toss it into the bay, it not only doesn't take up a lot of room, but the dish is completely protected in that solid case. The only thing I think they should have added was little adjustable legs so you do not have to use shims on uneven ground to level it. You can also mount it on a tripod if you so desire where as Winegard's previous fold up Sat dish could not be mounted on a tripod. This is a great portable dish. I highly recommend it.

Dennis
Dennis:

May I first say that I think this "new section", is a great idea !

Might I suggest that after reviewing these products you give an internet address where these recommended products can be purchased, as well as the prices for them. Great idea, and an additonal value to the forum. Thank you.

Wannabee
Old 06-07-2010
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidder View Post
Dennis:

May I first say that I think this "new section", is a great idea !

Might I suggest that after reviewing these products you give an internet address where these recommended products can be purchased, as well as the prices for them. Great idea, and an additonal value to the forum. Thank you.

Art,

I edited Dennis's post by adding pictures and links to the company web sites.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 06-07-2010

May I recommend that each product have its own thread? I think it would make it much easier to review and comment on a particular item in the future.