Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 01-07-2011

Default 12Kw Kohler generator Yanmar engine

UPDATE ON FREEZING AND 100% ANTIFREEZE:

Kohler 12.5Kw, added water to antifreeze 50/50, started and checked flow, got flow, but makes noise at times like putting it under load, but stops in about 14 seconds and does it again in about 4-5 minutes. Not sure what that is, Temp is around 150-160.
Water pump is OK.
Port St Lucie, Fl.
Old 01-07-2011
Gardner

Open the circuit breakers or switch the transfer switch to shore power (while not running) and restart and see if the load symptom goes away. It could be a heater of something cycling that puts a load on the gennie.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 01-07-2011

Gardner, these symptoms are without load. The only gauge that moves slightly is the oil pressure. Temperature seems to be ok, not sure of the normal running temp. I have run out of ideas of what it is making the noise.
Port St Lucie, Fl.
Old 01-08-2011
dctrcarter

Frank is the fluid solnoid moving back an foruth, or do you heard any change of engine idle?
Old 01-09-2011

Dctrcarter. the running idle seems to be a little rough at first ,then smooths out. Then all of a sudden this sound of change in engine speed sounds like being put under load for 10-15 seconds then goes away. It happens again about ever 2-3 minutes. Now while it is still running and warming up the temperature continues to climb past 190 degrees on it's way up and I turn it off around 210 degrees. Today, I am going to remove the thermostat and run it without it. Not sure if I can get a replacement where I am. Very cold here and not the best outside working conditions. May be the thermostat is stuck, but I did see movement in the radiator with the cap off, maybe it was just boiling, who knows, untill I remove the thermostat, then we can tell for sure. If anyone has other suggestions, please let me know, thanks.
Port St Lucie, Fl.
Old 01-09-2011

Frank- I'm in agreement with you pulling the thermostat. In your temps, the cooling fan may not even be needed to keep the engine cool. The loading down of the engine could be the cooling fan trying to start. If you have a bad capacitor on the cooling fan motor, the fan will have a hard time starting and may bog the engine down when it attempts to start spinning. The other thing you should check is the space heaters in the coach. Make sure that they are all off- the one in the bathroom has to be dialed off in the bathroom. The others can be shut off by flipping the A/C switches to "off" above the driver's seat in your coach.

"Savor the wine of youth, for it is a drink that can be consumed only once”
shanefedeli@gmail.com
717-645-4912
Old 01-09-2011

SFEDELI, this generator motor does not have a fan, everything as explained is without load of any kind, just running without turning the transfer switch to GEN. The temperature right now is 0 degrees and dropping to -14 degrees later today. This thermostat will have to wait. I been thinking that maybe a piece of my water pump impeller may have broken off and is making that noise. That still does not explain in chance of RPM. Maybe someone will come up with the fix, thanks.
Port St Lucie, Fl.
Old 01-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by zingara1usa View Post
SFEDELI, this generator motor does not have a fan, everything as explained is without load of any kind, just running without turning the transfer switch to GEN. The temperature right now is 0 degrees and dropping to -14 degrees later today. This thermostat will have to wait. I been thinking that maybe a piece of my water pump impeller may have broken off and is making that noise. That still does not explain in chance of RPM. Maybe someone will come up with the fix, thanks.
I don't think Shane was saying the engine that powers your generator has a fan. You have a cooling fan in that generator system someplace. Mine is mounted next to the engine along with the radiator. Mine cooling fan is a direct drive off an electric motor. Is your system cooled by a like setup?
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 01-09-2011

Rick, the cooling system for my set up is a square black box mounted in front of the engine with a radiator cap on it and holds approx. 4 -5 quarts of 50/50 antifreeze. To the best of my knowledge there is not any other radiator or fan of any kind that I see or know of. iI suppose the generator part may have some type of cooling fins, but not sure.
Port St Lucie, Fl.
Old 01-09-2011

Default Generator fan

I am not an expert on the 86 PT 38 as I have only had mine about three months. However, I believe we probably have a similar setup. The cooling fan and the radiator are in the same compartment under the driver's-side window. The radiator is laying flat with the fan over the top. I believe that is that fan that Shane is referring to.

as info.
FMCA 149549
VB 1010