Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > News > Vehicle and Equipment Recalls

Vehicle and Equipment Recalls This Sub-Forum is for informational purposes only, recalls of Blue Birds are automatically posted to this forum when posted on Auto-Recalls.com ALL SUBMISSIONS ARE MODERATED - NO DISCUSSION IS ALLOWED HERE

Site Search:

Old 12-14-2009

Default Cadet Under Counter Electric Heaters

Experiencing a problem with one of my two brown, under-counter Cadet TK101 heaters, I called the company and found there was a recall. It is at this site.
http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml03/03030.html

The recall ended in 2002, so many of your coaches were probably refitted, but mine was not. The heater elements were apparently susceptible to causing fires, according to the recall notice and the company. Replacements are UC101B for black and UC101W for white, and are directly replaceable. The new unit has a reset hole in the front. My old unit has a red light that comes on and off when it kicks out and back on. You might want to check yours.

The best price I have found, so far, is prosupplyco.com at $129.49 each.
Old 12-15-2009
FOX

Ron:

You state that the recall ended in 2002 and your log in says your coach is a 1995 so it was manufactured after the recall and would have the new elements.

This recall was mandated by the government and, as I remember, was caused by one house fire someplace that MAY have been caused by dust on the heating element.

The recall nearly broke Cadet. I had just completed a new house with 11 Cadet heaters in it and the company could not financially back the recall. They provided new heaters at their supposed manufacturing cost but the customers had to bear the brunt of the replacement.

I personally don't think the pre-recall units were a problem.

]
2003 LXI dble. slide
SERIES 60
Alaska & Mexico
Old 12-15-2009

My coach was manufactured in 1995 using the old design Cadet heater, the TK101. Some years later they discovered the problem and had the recall, but were allowed to put an ending date on it. It was a 2000 recall, but apparently they were allowed to end their participation in replacement cost in 2002. The Cadet representative was quite clear mine needed to be removed and that I had no recourse but to buy the replacement UC101 units from a distributor.

The heater elements are quite different. In the old design that was recalled, the elements are "pin" type, as the company put it. It appears they mean fine wire. The new ones are something different, though mine have not arrived yet, so I can't comment. When I took the old ones apart to clean them, there was a lot of lint packed inside, so it is good to get rid of that periodically, even if you do not want to change to the newer design.
Old 12-15-2009

Ron,

Are you replace both heaters or just the kitchen unit?
Are they the same model?
I like the electric units because of placement, they heat the floor tiles.
Old 12-15-2009

Replacing both as they are the same model, the recalled TK101. These units are great and a good backup to the Aqua-Hot. Just a little miffed at the PO since this is the second recall he didn't do. Ah, it is so tough being a perfectionist.
Old 12-15-2009

I replaced all 5 of my Cadet heaters in 2005 and at that time sent a note to BB and asked them to contact all Bird owners and advise them of the recall. I don't think they did. At that time I contacted Cadet and while they were out of the recall period they sold me the units at their cost and from what I remember they were significantly less than I could buy on the open market.

I use the heaters extensively and in fact heated our coach down to 25 degrees with just these units. Electricity is cheap here in Boulder City, about $0.06 per kwh. Bottom line is that it was a lot less than using the Primus and no worries about getting the propane filled.
1993 WB #104663 (SOLD)
Boulder City, NV
Old 12-15-2009

I didn't even realize there was a recall. I clean my heaters every year, and haven't had any problems as of yet. I don't believe the PO ever cleaned them, they were full of dust and I smelled the dust burning as soon as I turned them on. I pulled them out sure enough they were very dusty. I can see where this could have created a problem if not attended to. Thanks for the information.

Old 12-23-2009

The new Cadet UC101 heaters arrived, and I finally understand what the recall was all about.

The old TK101 heaters had a very fine resistance wire doing the heating. The surface temperature of this wire was enough to ignite hair, lint, etc., and that's why you'd smell burning hair at times. If you don't keep the lint out regularly there could be a problem, and apparently there was, resulting in the recall that, as was pointed out, nearly broke the company.

The new design has a finned rod heater (calrod probably) bent in the shape of a "U" that does not get so hot locally, since the heater surface area is a lot greater. The total heat output is the same 1000 watts. The other difference is that the old unit had a thermal breaker with red light that would reset itself when it cooled, but the new one requires you to push a reset button, probably a safety improvement depending upon which side of that debate you choose.

Should you replace yours? Your choice. I did both because one of mine was constantly overheating and recycling, not a good thing. Guess I am hypersensitive to fires lately.

The new units are directly replaceable except you need to drill new screw holes.
Old 12-31-2009

Thanks for the info. I have a TK101 in my 94 BMC 37'. It started short cycling this week same as yours (My old unit has a red light that comes on and off when it kicks out and back on).

I just ordered a UC101B from www.prosupplyco.com

My unit was clean and lint free inside from previous cleanings, but the over-temp sensor must be on the fritz. If not for the recall, I would have looked for a new sensor, but with the recall bit the bullet for a new unit.

Thanks again for the timely post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrueckwald View Post
Experiencing a problem with one of my two brown, under-counter Cadet TK101 heaters, I called the company and found there was a recall. It is at this site.
http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml03/03030.html

The recall ended in 2002, so many of your coaches were probably refitted, but mine was not. The heater elements were apparently susceptible to causing fires, according to the recall notice and the company. Replacements are UC101B for black and UC101W for white, and are directly replaceable. The new unit has a reset hole in the front. My old unit has a red light that comes on and off when it kicks out and back on. You might want to check yours.

The best price I have found, so far, is prosupplyco.com at $129.49 each.
Old 12-31-2009
cmillsap

The 2000 LXi's are equipped with 2 of the re-called TK-101, or at least my is. I haven't had any problem with mine so far but I will also be replacing them due to the fire hazard. Better safe than sorry.

Thanks to Ron for the "heads up"

Nice pics, Slim

Last edited by cmillsap; 12-31-2009 at 03:25 AM. Reason: added comments