Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues)

PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your PT or WB model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it....list your PT Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 12-13-2019

Default Drip rail leaks

Hopefully someone has a definitive answer. The drip rails along the bus sides above the windows have sealant in the gap at the top edge. Is this for cosmetic purposes only as it doesn’t appear to actually “seal” anything? Or stated another way, are the screws and screw holes the only source of leakage to the interior of the bus along the drip rails?

Thanks!
Old 12-13-2019
Forum owner

No sealant required to keep water out,but without sealant you can get dirt and leaves and stuff behind the drip rail.
There should be no place for leaks behind the drip rails.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 12-13-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom and Erin View Post
Hopefully someone has a definitive answer. The drip rails along the bus sides above the windows have sealant in the gap at the top edge. Is this for cosmetic purposes only as it doesn’t appear to actually “seal” anything? Or stated another way, are the screws and screw holes the only source of leakage to the interior of the bus along the drip rails?
Thanks!

Mine were not suspect for an inside drip; I had a couple of streams of rainwater passing behind the drip rail and pouring across my windows.

We peeled the drip rail halfway back from one end and re-caulked it, gave it "set time", and repeated from the other end. Voila, dry windows. YMMV.

Debbie Huffman Grey
Finally full-timing / Kids in Houston, Texas
1985 PT-40 "Festina Lente"
1993 Toyota Pickup "Phoenix"
FMCA 424082 VB 1639 SKP 112690 GS Life Member
Old 12-13-2019
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie.Grey View Post
Mine were not suspect for an inside drip; I had a couple of streams of rainwater passing behind the drip rail and pouring across my windows.

We peeled the drip rail halfway back from one end and re-caulked it, gave it "set time", and repeated from the other end. Voila, dry windows. YMMV.
Debbie is correct!
I forgot about the wet windows!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 12-13-2019

The sheet metal screws that hold it on can leak, but it might not come through the spray foam on the inside of the wall. But they will leak. In my case they seem to just unscrew themselves over time, too.
Old 12-13-2019

What type of sealant is best for seams and screws?

Bill & Tracy Lott
87 FC35 "Traveller"
Shalimar, Florida
Old 12-13-2019

Loaded question since it gets so hot up there. I haven't redone mine yet, but I like the idea of using butyl behind it and filling the gap on top with something like Sika Flex 221. Or skip the butyl and just use the 221 in the gap, but put a little blob of the 221 on the screw holes before putting the rail back on. Sometimes the butyl wants to keep squishing out over time, so it's not always the best thing to use because the screws loosen up, too.
Old 12-13-2019

Thanks all! Will check the screws, not getting the water through the window, fortunately.
Old 12-13-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by badandy View Post
Loaded question since it gets so hot up there. I haven't redone mine yet, but I like the idea of using butyl behind it and filling the gap on top with something like Sika Flex 221. Or skip the butyl and just use the 221 in the gap, but put a little blob of the 221 on the screw holes before putting the rail back on. Sometimes the butyl wants to keep squishing out over time, so it's not always the best thing to use because the screws loosen up, too.
Thanks, I’m not familiar with those product but I’ll check them out. As a boat guy my go-to permanent and watertight sealant has been 3M 5200. I use it on under the waterline applications and have thought it would be overkill on the bus.

Bill & Tracy Lott
87 FC35 "Traveller"
Shalimar, Florida
Old 12-13-2019

The only bad part about using 5200 is its relatively permanent bond. You can easily end up destroying things if you ever have to disassemble them. 4200 works just as well, but is not quite as hard to take apart. They also make a very UV resistant 4200UV. Neither is really optimal to use as a gap filling sealant however. They are more of a watertight structural adhesive or bedding compound.