Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 12-06-2019

Default Amazing how searching for a fix finds you another problem

Searching WOG for some filter and fluid information and fell into the worm hole of WOG. Have had some intermittent rust flows out of my faucet. And some fluctuations in water pressure. Got onto a thread about what the accumulator does and what it’s made of (steel that rusts) Mine is original so it is probably shot. I just ordered a new one.
That proverbial “$10,000 first year” statement might need to be adjusted for inflation!

Loving every minute of my new Bird

Erwin
“LUCKY 27”
Old 12-06-2019
Forum owner

I cut some accumulators up a long time ago,and i thought they had a bladder inside,and the water never touched the steel.
Does anybody really know on the ones in our buses?

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 12-06-2019

Yes, they do have a rubber bladder. My Jabsco failed ($200 +) so I put in a A.O. Smith from HD ( $40 +). Works great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AO Smith Pressure Tank.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	65379  

Dale & Lynn Cash
Kimball, MI
1997 WB43
Old 12-06-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERWIN O View Post
Searching WOG for some filter and fluid information and fell into the worm hole of WOG. Have had some intermittent rust flows out of my faucet. And some fluctuations in water pressure. Got onto a thread about what the accumulator does and what it’s made of (steel that rusts) Mine is original so it is probably shot. I just ordered a new one.
That proverbial “$10,000 first year” statement might need to be adjusted for inflation!

Loving every minute of my new Bird

Erwin
I would think the only place you are getting rust from is the source or a huge buildup of rust in the system from the P.O.s water source. There is virtually nothing but plastic or copper in the bus. No rust there. You may want to completely flush your system with some Iron Out or CLR. But be prepared for plugged screens if you do.

Jim and Michele Walters
2000 LX
'93 WLWB (Sold)
Bluebird of Happiness
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
260-224-1278
Old 12-06-2019

I would think that you are on the right track with the accumulator pressure tank. Randy is right the water and steel are not supposed to touch. What happens is the bladder gets a very small hole or tear an water gets outside the bladder and rusts the steel inside. The result is rusty water inside. The fluctuation in water pressure may be from a damaged bladder. I have seen this a lot on wells. Enjoy the new bird!
Old 12-06-2019

Robert
That was what I saw in a previous thread. Water side is coated air side is not. So torn bladder water gets into non coated side. Previous owner kept great care of the bird. I sterilized the tank anyway. And have ran through a full tank of water and refilled. I will cut the tank open when I get it out to find out if that was the issue.

Thanks
Erwin
“LUCKY 27”
Old 12-06-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostCoastRob View Post
I would think that you are on the right track with the accumulator pressure tank. Randy is right the water and steel are not supposed to touch. What happens is the bladder gets a very small hole or tear an water gets outside the bladder and rusts the steel inside. The result is rusty water inside. The fluctuation in water pressure may be from a damaged bladder. I have seen this a lot on wells. Enjoy the new bird!
If there is water in the bladder, that's bad. Water is always outside of the bladder and the bladder pushes on the water to give you water pressure. If the bladder is compromised, the bladder becomes waterlogged, time to replace.
Valparaiso, Indiana
Old 12-13-2019

Default No need to cut it open

Yes the accumulator bladder was compromised. Oddly enough the air side of the tank must have been completely filled with water. Rusting away the side walls and forming rusty water in the system. It was very sporadic with short bursts of rust. But the bladder had plugged the inlet partially. When I removed the unit it weighed like 20lbs and water didn’t pour out it kind of chugged out. Once I laid it on its side the water came out. Check out the pic. Installed same brand and style unit.

Erwin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D6245869-D8FE-46D8-80BB-3E4A1C6381D4.jpeg
Views:	44
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	65537   Click image for larger version

Name:	776810C6-BF66-4027-9A96-6407AAB9BAC5.jpeg
Views:	47
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	65538  
“LUCKY 27”
Old 12-13-2019

I knew mine was shot when I pressed on the Schrader valve on top of the accumulator & water sprayed out. I just removed the accumulator, & while I was at it, put in a higher-flow water pump. Much better all round! Not sure if the acc is meant to prevent the pump cycling every time a faucet is turned on, or to even out the water flow. Since mine did neither from when I bought it the only difference I saw without it & with the new pump was much, much better water flow at the faucets.
"Retirement Bird" 1997 43WB
"Silver Shadow"1988 PT-40 Concept Coach - Sold!
Old 12-13-2019

I have a new plastic, nylon, whatever it's made of tank going in before I head out this winter
Cape Cod,ma