Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > Buying a Wanderlodge, a Bluebird or any RV

Buying a Wanderlodge, a Bluebird or any RV Ready to take the plunge or looking to upgrade and you have questions? Folks are standing by ready to help.

Site Search:

Old 12-12-2019

It takes time.
Cape Cod,ma
Old 12-12-2019

Billy - You’re not crazy, you just have BB Fever . The good news is there’s a cure! But before you do something you’ll regret, take a deep breath to settle down then read the ‘Bird Hunting’ paper I wrote over 5 years ago. The ‘Lessons Learned’ covered in it, together with that thread’s experienced-member’s comments are as true as the day they were written: https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.c...ad.php?t=20482

Think of your search as a learning period when you figure out which bird model is for you and just as important, which ones are not. Until you figure that out, your boat has no rudder and it could crash on the rocks. To prevent that and before you pull any “triggers”, I highly recommend a trip to Q for at least the “Coach Tour Day”. Your “figuring it all out” period will be greatly shortened if you can see all of the various coaches in one place. Perhaps you can rent a Class C SOB (El Monte or Cruise America) and make a week of it with the DW? Attend a tech session or two, walk around the circle and talk to current owners, and just enjoy the vibe. You’ll meet some wonderful people while learning more about BB’s in that week than you thought possible. Most important is you’ll have a much better idea of what your needs and wants really are. And I’m willing to bet that walking away from Q, they will change from what you think they are now. Good luck and enjoy your search!

Last edited by NoGas; 12-12-2019 at 09:56 PM.
Old 12-12-2019
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Ole Bird View Post
If you're Stevie Wonder...

All you asked for was automatic leveling...

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 12-12-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhodeKille View Post
I really want to wait until the WOG meet up in Quartzite, but I'm really getting impatient about moving up to a BB. Now I've got questions.

1) I think I'm leaning towards late 80's/early 90's WB. I like the airplane-style inside storage, and I like the WB, since I'm probably going to be working in it (computer work, so inside all the time) for months at a time while traveling. Also, I'm probably going to be pulling a 3/4 ton truck, so I want the towing capacity. Am I looking in the right direction?

2) My budget is probably all-in (including at least first-year expenses and potential upgrades of batteries, fridge, electronics, etc., as well as any expected repairs) max around $60k. Is that realistic?

3) The only requirement my wife has is "automatic leveling". I know the newer ones have this, but what year did it start? Would an '88 WB have it?

4) I'm located in Northern CA, near Sacramento. Can anyone recommend local repair places? I haven't had good luck with Camping World, and I really want a good diesel mechanic.

I can wait. I probably should wait. But once I get something in my head, it's hard to get out....

So tell me I'm crazy, and I need to spend some time looking around the 'birds at the meetup before I buy. Or...give me a good idea what to buy before Christmas so I can go pick it up while I'm off work.
Hi Billy,

We got our 91 WB earlier this year in Fl, drive it back to Bay Area and then want up north to OR, WA, ID, MT, NB, GA, FL, LA, and now are in TX and be in Roseville by the 23 or so!

You are welcome to come by check out the coach and I can share with you my experience over the last 9 months and may be help you with your decision. All I can tell you now is that don’t rush it, getting the right coach is worth a long wait.

1991 PT40WB
sskhosravi@gmail.com
www.coddiwomplers.org
Old 12-13-2019

Given your budget SP might be sweet too.
I had never set foot inside a Bluebird before buying my PT about a decade ago. It turned out great. Big part of my decision was budget. I could afford to upgrade it piecemeal.
https://www.buybyebluebird.com/Coach...ShGi11212019SP
Ex-PT36
Old 12-13-2019

I bought my coach site unseen. I knew I wanted a FC due to the length. I talked to Randy a few times about other coaches. He’s like a good ole bartender that knows birds and can steer you in the right direction. I would say go for it, but set reasonable expectations.
Actually just remembered, Randy suggested I have a WOG member check it up out for me, which a member kindly did. Then I bought it without seeing it myself.
The non auto levelers aren’t hard to work or to level the coach.

Last edited by Steelwheels; 12-13-2019 at 01:39 AM.
Old 12-13-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
All you asked for was automatic leveling...

I had my eyes on a really nice 87 FC here locally but it was pink on pink...

Very nice though...

The deal breaker for my wife was no twin couches or beds...

And the pink...

Good Ole Bird - 1980 FC35 250T

Rockpapa

Larose, LA
Old 12-13-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhodeKille View Post
Well, they aren't important to me, but they are important to my wife, so that makes it extra important....but yeah. I think she'd be OK with hydraulic levelers at least, and any tips we can find to make that process easier. She wants to be able to take off with the kids (grandkids at some point) and be comfortable setting up. Something she doesn't like doing with the TT we have now.
Here's something to think about. I don't think a TT is at all stable without being jacked up and leveled. However, a Bluebird is a different animal. I've used mine without the jacks many times, especially short stays. I'm surprised driving a 40 foot plus, 40k plus beast isn't intimidating, while using non automatic hydraulic jacks is! With a second person outside looking, setting up really isn't bad with the non automatic system. I've even done it alone at times.

I really suggest not rushing things. Good luck in your search!
VB 1570
Old 12-13-2019
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwoody View Post
my LX has levelers with 1 button automatic~!

then push slide out~!
You push the slide out?
By hand?

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 12-13-2019

Thanks for all the helpful (and funny!) replies, folks.

One thing I'll say is that I'm not really rushing into this. I first started thinking about and looking into BB's in Aug of '18 when I stayed at a park where a couple was with their 86 (?) PT 36(?). IIRC, his name was Harry, and he and his wife were planning on moving to Bandon OR. He's the one that steered me to this site and BBBB.com. The *******! (j/k)

I'll hold off on that one I found on CL, and the ones on BBBB that I'm looking at (Pink is the new blue!). Making my reservations for Q in Jan today, and I'm definitely taking Shahin up on their offer, especially since it's close to the model and year I've been looking at the most, and it would be easy to get my wife to come along locally.