Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 02-08-2009
Administrator

Don't know try this link:
They are in the files and links of the Yahoo site..

http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/wDmPScF...rip%20Solution
Old 02-14-2009

Default Electrical system suggestions

One thing I've learned while trying to lay out my new electrical system is that what is good for charging the batteries is not necessary best for running the 12 volt fixtures and appliances.

Here's a thought I had. Divide your batteries into two banks. One bank is charging while the other bank runs the 12 volt house circuits. That way the charger can put the higher voltages necessary for good battery health on the "charging" bank and the 12 volt house circuits are never subjected to more than 13 volts. The charger cycles between the two banks.

Has anyone tried to implement something like this? How did you physically lay it out? How well did it work?

Regards,
Old 02-16-2009

Personally, when I "dock" the coach and the charger starts its brief 14+ volt charging stage, I shut off all 12v appliances and lights. After a run in the coach, this charging stage usually only lasts for maybe 15-20 minutes.

After that charging stage is complete, the charger goes into a trickle charge mode, maintaining 13.5 volts. That's when my 12v goodies can be turned back on.

In the year or so that I have had this charging system installed, I have not had to add one drop of water to my 6v batteries.
Linden, Michigan
Old 03-03-2009

Default Finally found my GFI trip problem

This was so difficult to find, I thought I would post it to help someone else that may have the same problem.

I kept tripping the shore power GFI breaker and started the arduous task of disconnecting everything that had ever been mentioned here in connection with GFI trips.

The thing that was killing me was that sometimes I would trip the breaker immediately and other times it would be a few hours before it tripped.

I finally got it down to one circuit (Front Receptacle) and isolated it to two cables in the overhead junction box halfway between the passenger's seat and the steps. It seemed really odd it was two cables.

Hidden behind a cable rats nest, I finally found a non-factory splice (two actually) where some idiot had spliced the neutral from the TV antenna outlet into some cable (once again non-factory) that disappears up toward the roof. Further another cable had neutral cut and only the hot spliced into the cable headed toward the roof.

So to summarize, if someone who obviously doesn't know anything about electricity has made weird splices into multiple cable runs you may get some very strange GFI results.

NOW - HELP
I have two factory cables heading up to the roof from that J box. One is cut off and I suspect the non-factory grey cable that was spliced in to the two different circuits is replacing the factory cable that was cut off.

Can anyone tell me where these two factory Romex cables are going. I think one would be the front air conditioner (only 3 feet away) but I haven't got a clue what the other one could be.

Regards,
Old 03-03-2009

Default WireToner

You can go to Lowes or Home Depot and get a wire toner tracer for about $80.00 it will help you know where the wire is going. It can not hve any power in while checking it.
Old 03-03-2009

hi, sounds like someone might have installed a switch to shut off the tv outlet, maybe around the drivers area,

just a thought, Tim
Our Address is 1900 Slack St. Pea Ridge Ark. 72751,
Just east of Bentonville, Ark, in the North West Corner
Old 03-03-2009

Default GFI mystery wires

Nope, the mystery grey wire would not have been capable of turning the TV receptacle on/off.

Is the thermostatic fan 120v? I wouldn't think so.

The only thing I have on the forward driver side is one outlet and battery heater.

Regards,
Old 03-03-2009

it would be hard to guess what someone might have wired in in the past, I would just wire it back to original, you can remove the ceiling moldings and get to the wires to see where they go, the engine block heater goes forward from there too,to the toe board in front of the passenger seat
Our Address is 1900 Slack St. Pea Ridge Ark. 72751,
Just east of Bentonville, Ark, in the North West Corner
Old 06-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamflagman View Post
...According to PMMI, the reverse polarity indicator just taps into the power line in parallel - temporarily removing it should not affect the use of the coach. Of course, you will want to be cautious when you plug in...
So am I correct when I read this that if you pull out the PMMI board, and disconnect the leads in the back, and then screw it back in, you have temporarily disconnected it and whatever problems it may be causing?
VB 1570
Old 06-12-2010
Gardner

Markus,
I at one time fixed my indicator and figured out how it works. You are correct, just disconnect the wires, cap them off with wire-nuts and it should stop the tripping of GFI assuming that is the root cause. Disconnect any power first.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey