Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 11-27-2011

Default And That's When I Decided to Call the Fire Department....

Juergen:
Fuses, like I have pointed out in many other threads is a complete sience in itself.
Auto reset fuses are a necessity in the automotive field. They are required for both the windshield wipers and headlight circuits - for safety reasons. They are not necessary for any of the other circuits though. If the circuit was designed properly, even the auto reset will not burn the wires.
Old 11-27-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbonich View Post
...When I discovered the missing bulb that had created this unforeseen series of problems I exclaimed "what idiot took this bulb out and left the socket empty?". A split second later I remembered that I was in fact the idiot who had removed the burnt out bulb a week earlier to take with me to find a replacement on my next trip to the parts store.

So I knew who the idiot was. In fact, I know him very well...
First off Jim, glad you and the coach are safe and sound. The outcome could have been very different, so consider yourself quite lucky!

Second, I know him too, and birds of a feather flock together.....you ain't the only one that dun somethin' like that!
VB 1570
Old 11-27-2011

Its like deja vu all over again...

Was working on the bus today getting ready for Q. Had some mirrors to put on to replace the one that fell off a few years ago.

I had to open the front cover and when I did I found one of those circuit breakers had fallen apart and the metal was arcing against the windshield wiper motor.

Some photos show the way I found it, where it came from and a close up of the damaged element...

The one I replaced it with seemed to have much better crimps on the case, but even so I mounted it so it wasnt hanging upside down to keep the stress off of it.

Funny thing is I didnt notice any issues! Dont know how long its been like that either...

You just never know when something going to fall apart!

Im marking this down as a 'disaster narrowly averted' ;}

/Joe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-11-27_14-29-13_794s.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	13530   Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-11-27_14-29-38_962s.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	195.7 KB
ID:	13534   Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-11-27_16-45-34_265s.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	155.6 KB
ID:	13535  

'93 WB40 'Alligator'
Sedona, AZ
Fun-Fun-Fun Till they take the BlueBird Away!
Old 11-27-2011

Well we've stopped for the night at the Walmart in Dublin, GA. No further issues on the way down except that I had to replace my ProSine inverter before we left Charlotte/Concord. Apparently it didn't like all the powering up and down as we disconnected and reconnected the batteries, but fortunately it is still under warranty and I happen to have a spare onboard that is designated for a future project of doubling my inverter/charger capacity.

I should add to my previous post that the circuit breaker did it's job and protected the coach from further damage once the dimmer meltdown was finished. In the cool clear vision of hindsight I probably didn't need to call in the fire department, but when everything you own in the world is inside the coach and smoke is coming out of the dash that call is not easy to make, and I would rather apologize or thank the firefighters than wish I had called them sooner.

And I now consider myself as "qualified" on the parking lights circuit, gauge lights, and related issues.
(Previously Pair of Jacks)
Saint Petersburg, FL
Old 11-27-2011
Forum owner

see you tomorrow.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 11-27-2011

Jim, a couple years ago, Ron Marabito was coming to our place for a maakeover. He got less then 2 miles from me and said his coach was on fire. Bim and I raced there and I called 911- told them there was a motorhome on fire on North Main, 2 blocks from courthouse. Send help PDQ- the moron dispatcher asked what color and make of motorhome. I told them- its the only thing on fire at that location.
www.ernieekbergflooring.net
Old 11-27-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulipvendor50 View Post
Juergen:
Fuses, like I have pointed out in many other threads is a complete sience in itself.
Auto reset fuses are a necessity in the automotive field. They are required for both the windshield wipers and headlight circuits - for safety reasons. They are not necessary for any of the other circuits though. If the circuit was designed properly, even the auto reset will not burn the wires.
Bill
Thank you for your info. Now I can understand a little more about fuses. I thought there must be a need for those auto reset things. Before I install a cicuit, I will need to study it more in detail, and ask questions when in doubt.
Old 11-28-2011

Quote:
Well we've stopped for the night at the Walmart in Dublin, GA. No further issues on the way down except that I had to replace my ProSine inverter before we left Charlotte/Concord. Apparently it didn't like all the powering up and down as we disconnected and reconnected the batteries, but fortunately it is still under warranty and I happen to have a spare onboard that is designated for a future project of doubling my inverter/charger capacity.

I should add to my previous post that the circuit breaker did it's job and protected the coach from further damage once the dimmer meltdown was finished. In the cool clear vision of hindsight I probably didn't need to call in the fire department, but when everything you own in the world is inside the coach and smoke is coming out of the dash that call is not easy to make, and I would rather apologize or thank the firefighters than wish I had called them sooner.

And I now consider myself as "qualified" on the parking lights circuit, gauge lights, and related issues.
Jim,
Please check out this thread: Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine > HOW I HOPE TO PREVENT A FIRE It might be of help to you.

Regards,
Liz Pearce
Lone Star Corral SKP park
Dhanis, Republic of Texas
SKPs
Liz
CORRAL NEWS Editor
www.lonestarcorral.com

Last edited by iamflagman; 11-29-2011 at 06:07 AM. Reason: Fixed suggested link to make it work
Old 11-29-2011

Liz--

Thanks for pointing me to your prior thread. I have previously mounted a 250 amp fuse holder between the batteries and the inverter, and think I will add one (in the same location as yours) for the other 12V loads--except the engine cranking cables that I am told draw much more current. FYI, when replacing my Heart inverter with a Xantrex ProSine 2.0, Shane and I discovered that BB had placed the stud behind the inverter that connects the + cable in such a way that the excess negative cable was pushed up against it when the inverter was pushed back into the compartment. The cable was dimpled but not abraded (yet) so we moved the connecting stud up a couple of inches. Not a good design on BB's part.

My main concern now is the heavy cable that carries 12V from the engine compartment to the generator compartment in the front of the bus. I don't know how this cable is routed and protected, but I can imagine several opportunities for this to abrade and short over time, so I'm going to make sure it is also fused when I install the master cutoff switches. My recent experience has made a believer out of me that having to disconnect three battery banks using a wrench in tight locations is not something you want to be doing while you are smelling wires burning.

Thanks for your previous post--however we accomplish it I think we can all benefit by additional fuses and protection of these heavy battery cables.
(Previously Pair of Jacks)
Saint Petersburg, FL
Old 11-29-2011
Gardner

Quote:

Jim,
Myself and others have disconnect switches that are used regularly. When storing the coach I do lots of maintenance and turn the batteries on and off every time I go up there. I have had no problems with my Xantrex. It may be that when disconnecting and reconnecting the cables it is kind of rough because it is not a clean make/brake connection.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey