Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 10-08-2008
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Davis;8016[B
It is a little bit of a pain going back and forth counting one thousand one, one thousand two...... so you can find the best spot from either end[/B]
Lee,

Instead of counting that way try, One Mississippi..Two Mississippi, for a change of pace, maybe it will break the boredom

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 10-08-2008
Former Bird Owner

My coach has two switches to raise or lower the antenna. One switch is on the panel (with mostly electrical/generator stuff) just above the entry door. The antenna switch is a double switch -- you must hold both of them down to raise or lower the antenna. (You can listen to hear a 'clunk, clunk, clunk' noise when it's fully up or a 'thud' noise when it's fully down.) There is also an "antenna up" warning light that's next to the switch. There is a rotator control located in the cabinet above the dash board.

There is a second switch in the bedroom in the cabinets over the head of the (side island) bed. The cabinet also has one of those rotator controllers located there. The switch is on the side wall of the cabinet closest to the rear of the coach. It's a toggle switch with an up or down position and a spring that centers it after use. (Up is up, down is down.) The only way that you can tell the position of the antenna (other than looking) is to listen for the characteristic clunk or thunk noises. I tend to use the switch above the entry door since it's easier to hear the antenna movement there.

When I first got my coach, it seemed that the rotator did not rotate -- so I got a replacement antenna from Steven Birtles -- although I've heard of a few who have opened up the antenna and made repairs to the rotator system. (The shaft from the rotator motor can become loose from the antenna carrier.)

If your antenna does not rise up, you're likely to get less than ideal reception, since other things on the roof might interfere with the TV signal or cause ghosts.

The quality of the image varies -- sometimes I get very clear channels -- and sometimes the signals aren't the greatest. It all depends on the distance from the transmitter and the strength of the signal being sent. There are times when there are serious ghosts that can't be rotated away. This is caused by a secondary signal being reflected from a hill or building, then reaching the antenna at a slight angle from the primary signal. If rotating doesn't get rid of the ghost, then you just have to live with it.

Overall, I rate the antenna as "fair" -- it is far less directional than the antenna I had when I had a non-cable served home in a "deep fringe" area. With that one, I could zero in on a signal with the rotator and it would reject off-angle signals fairly well. However, the advantage of the lesser directionality is that once I find an antenna position that's a reasonable compromise, I usually don't need to rotate it hither and yon to clean up signals for different stations.

The antenna raising/lowering motor, etc. is in the box at the base of the antenna mast. You might open the box and try to determine if it is inoperable or if there are loose wires, etc. Search around, and you'll eventually find the up/down switches. There should be one in the bedroom and a second on somewhere near where the antenna wires come into your coach.

==
On the road near Lancaster, PA

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com
Old 10-08-2008
John Wyatt – Administrator/Moderator

The antenna on the 97 BMC that I looked at could not be raised. I sent some higher res pics to Lee but this attachment shows how the antenna on the 40' 97 BMC was mounted.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	97 BMC roof 3.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	647  
Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4

1991 40' WB ...From 2008 - Present
1984 ½ PT-36 .From 2000 - 2008
1973 FC-31 .....From 1991 - 2001
Old 10-08-2008

Default TV Antenne

Hello All:

A few weeks ago at the Wanderlodge Plant, I had them replace my circa 1994 tube type televisions with new Toshiba LCD televisions, which I bought at Circuit City. Since I have spent so much money on my coach, I was not ready for satellite yet. I installed a new Wingard rotating (flying saucer) antenna to the electric mast. In addition I installed an off air HD receiver. Excluding the cost of the TVs this was done for less than $500.00 including installation. Now I get probably two to three times the channels off air with crystal clear definition. In fact I have opted to not connect the CATV cord at those RV parks that offer CATV.

A wonderful and reasonable (I think) alternative to satellite, at least until the prices come down which I believe will in a year or so.

Something to consider.
Old 10-08-2008

wow the antennas are 130.00 they went up ten bucks but now have wireless RF remote

Email stephen@dupreeproducts.com
www.dupreeproducts.com
Telephone 888 668 4288
cell 716 220 1267
Please use email or telephone to contact
Old 10-08-2008

I am looking for a complete tower plus the drive working or not. IF you want to get rid of one let me know

Email stephen@dupreeproducts.com
www.dupreeproducts.com
Telephone 888 668 4288
cell 716 220 1267
Please use email or telephone to contact
Old 10-08-2008
Forum owner

guess who has one!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 10-09-2008

Default Direct TV

Tommy, (White hat guy), I too am not going to satellite. I have been there, done that and think Direct is an unethical company and I will not do business with them. Can you send me a digital picture of your new antenna (no rush, since it may not fit on top of my bus anyway) . My problem may be that with my "mushroom" sitting about a foot behind the air conditioner, with a my kitchen exhaust fan about 2 feet behind that, I don't know if I can find an antenna that will fit in there and still raise up. Steve Birtles has a replacement for my "mushroom" in case some wires in there have gone bad, but I can't see how that will help much. I am waiting until
Feb to see how everyting works afte the "digital TV change"

By the way, for anyone who is interested in my direct TV bad experience, I am reproducing my letter to Trailer Life here. They never published it (maybe too strong)

"We have cancelled our subscription to Direct TV and thought some of the circumstances might be interesting to your readers. It was a long and involved story. In January of 2005 we purchased two Direct TV boxes and a dish and tripod. We were told we would get rebates worth $300 on the two boxes (one was $100; the other which recorded programs was $200). We filled out the two rebate requests and sent them in before the deadline in the same envelope. After several months with no rebate forthcoming (and several calls to follow up on our part), one of the Direct TV employees finally told us they had no record of our request for the $100 rebate, but they had sent the $200 rebate in April. When we reiterated several times in several calls that we had received no rebate, one employee told us they could not resend a rebate if it was lost in the mail (an amazing statement considering normal corporate accounting procedures which have to account for every check),and they still had no record of the $100 rebate request (remember, sent in the same envelope).

After several more calls trying to get to supervisors and their supervisors (unsuccessful), I called to cancel my service. At that point an employee offered to reduce my bill by $10 per month for a year. After pointing out that was nowhere close to the $300 they owed me, she then agreed to reduce my bill by $20 per month for a year. I pointed out that still was not $300. At that point she told my I would be responsible for a cancellation fee of over $200 since, when I submitted the rebate forms, I had agreed to a two year commitment. I pointed out that since I had never received any rebates, I did not feel bound by that commitment, and they would get no more money from me.

I decided I would at least send a letter to someone in authority outlining the problems I encountered, but trying to get the name and address of someone like that proved to be almost impossible. I finally found the name of the CEO, Chase Carey, on the internet, and then called Direct TV again to get their corporate address. The employee was not at all willing to give me the corporate address (another bad sign in my opinion). He questioned me extensively about why I wanted it (to complain) and after a long discussion, very reluctantly gave it to me. For those readers who may need this address for similar problems, it is:

Direct TV
2230 E. Imperial Highway
El Segundo, CA 90245

I sent a letter to Mr. Carey with all the details (including the fact I felt they owed me $300), and about a month later someone in his office called to offer me a $200 credit immediately if I continued service. I pointed out that Mr. Carey must not have read my letter closely or he would have noticed I wanted only what I was owed, and that was $300. I asked her to mention that to him. She said that was all she could do, so I politely said no thanks. At this point, I have decided that this company may not be completely ethical (I wondered how many other rebates they didn’t pay, since we found another person at a campground who had experienced the same problem). They must also be stupid to give up a $700-800 per year customer (who would probably have continued several years as a satisfied customer) when service costs to them at that point are now minimal, over a $100 difference in rebate agreement.

I am not asking for your intervention in this problem. At this point for obvious reasons, I am not interested in being a customer of Direct TV. For potential new customers, being forewarned is being forearmed. I wish them luck."

Lee - 423-292-5767 or Jacque 423-262-9569
or lnjdavis@gmail.com Please call or email instead of private messages

1995 BMC 37
300 HP Cummins 6CTA 8.3 Turbocharged Diesel
Boldly Going Nowhere
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/index.cfm #117
Old 10-09-2008

Default What is the best Antenna?

White Hat Guy,

Do you have the model numbers of the antenna and HD receiver that CoachWorks installed.

Did you already have the mast? What they are using on the new coaches?

My coach has no antenna and tower or mast and would like to set one up.

Are there any other masts floating around?

I have in motion satellite from 03 but would like to receive local channels too. I have not tried the satellite yet.

I'm looking to eventually upgrade my TV's to flat screens.
89 PT40
Old 10-09-2008

Default TV Antenna

Michael and Lee

Attached is a picture of my coach. This picture was taken before the new system was installed at coachworks. I do not have the serial/model numbers of the round hicky and the off air receiver readily available but will get them this weekend and post them for you. Please forgive me, but I am probably the worst case of technological challenge. I can attempt to describe what I have.

1) the "round hicky" sits on top of the mast which was OEM to my bird. It looks just like the one in the picture. I was told at the plant it is an updated version of the original. 2) The "tuner" is a digital box that is installed in the overhead compartment above the dash. The new LCD Toshibas were installed in the original tube type compartments in the overhead above the dash and the corner of the bedroom.

3) the tvs were wired into the OEM "box" that I think would be a switching device which works by push button for TV - antenna, cable, games, DVD's etc.

4. You raise the mast from rocker switches in the front or in the bedroom. When it reaches the top of its extention, you hear the "clunk-clunk-clunk sound and you kno it is up.

5. You program you tvs by their remotes to air (either analog or HD). The TVs then go into a search mode and will "find" the channels.

6. If you get a weak signal then you punch in the channel(s) of the weak signals on the remote to the off air tuner. The "round hicky" then rotates until the signal comes in clear. If you were in one place for a length of time you could program the turner to automatically find the station you have just located.

I was in Gulf Shores, Alabama (close to Mobile, Alabama) for several days this past week and although we had cable, the number of stations were limited. I found that by "switching" to antenna, I could pick up crystal clear around 30 more channels both analog and HD.

We're not television addicts and do very little TV watching except ballgames, news, weather and a few educational channels.

For the cost of the new set-up the savings between that and satellite, I can buy a lot of seafood and/or diesel fuel.

Some of you my brothers and sisters would think it not cost effective to have coachworks do the installations and if you can do it yourself then that is fine. I, on the otherhand will screw up taking the garbage out.

I am sold on coachworks even though they are a little pricey - but I know it is done right.

BTW the cabinet maker at bluebird mounted the bedroom flat screen on a new door, fixed it to the compartment where the old tube was and boxed in that are and made a super storage area. That was an additional $500.00 or so, but it was worth it. My wife now has another place to put additional clothes (which she doesn't wear) while we are traveling. Don't tell her I said that.Click image for larger version

Name:	My Bird.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	699.2 KB
ID:	651