Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 03-07-2009

Default docking lights, first trip problems

We are out on our first camping trip in the new bird. Somehow in the middle of the night, while looking for the "LP heat" on the dash, I accidentally left the docking and rear lights on all night. Now I can not get them to turn off. I'm thinking there must be a breaker that is "hung." Where would I look to find the breakers? Or any other reason that all 4 docking lights and the rear back up lights would be hung on??

Thanks
Old 03-07-2009
Mike and Tracy

Default Check the switch

The only thing I can think of is the light switch has failed closed. I can't recall if the docking lights are on a relay or a direct switch. Check the switch with an ohm meter open and closed. If the wires are on the switch with a slip on type connector, pull one off and see if the lights go out. If not, it's probably on a relay which you'll need to locate and troubleshoot.

Mike and Tracy - near Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
1999 43 LXI, "Maddy" - 60 Series Detroit
FOR SALE, $65k U.S. OBO
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD (Diesel) or 2013 Jeep Rubicon 4 Down Toads; Sold Jetta, but it was an awesome toad.
Old 03-07-2009
Administrator

Try the emergency light switch in the bedroom overhead.
It should turn on headlights, docking lights, rear back-up lights.
This is a panic button to chase the burglars.
Maybe John Finn will reply, he has a few pictures and remedies.
Old 03-07-2009
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pape View Post
Try the emergency light switch in the bedroom overhead.
It should turn on headlights, docking lights, rear back-up lights.
This is a panic button to chase the burglars.
Maybe John Finn will reply, he has a few pictures and remedies.
Where is Blair when you need someone to pick on....again, oh that's right he sold his 'Bird I was on the phone one morning with Randy and he told me that Blair had just called him earlier that morning stating that SOMETHING had run the batteries down overnight on his 'Bird, a short time earlier that week I had done the same thing but caught it, before it ran the batteries down and here is what I did to remedy the problem, it really works and since the backup lights are part of the security light system, the buzzer sounds whenever I place the transmission in reverse, assuring me that the backup lights are on.

You can also install the switch that I custom designed just for Blair;

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 03-07-2009

You guys were right, we had accidentally hit the security switch. Worried all day about why those lights were on, and were taking the bulbs out when I got the post!

Thanks
Old 03-08-2009

Reminds me of my maiden trip home with our BB...

First lesson: why the air horn keeps blowing....uh, there is a foot switch for it!!!

Second lesson: yes, the security lights or AKA (also known as) why it is so lit up outside?

Third lesson: How come the windshield wipers keep coming on every 20 seconds....oh, look there is a switch called "wiper delay"....

Thankfully, I avoided the dreaded "A/T" switch syndrome....

Coach photos & comments: http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...php?albumid=79
Old 03-09-2009

Frank,
I didn't avoid the "A/T" switch problem! I think I had all the ones you mentioned plus that one! I thought I was going to lose my mind trying to figure out what went wrong and why didn't anything work anymore. I had to track down the P.O., who was not home, and ask him what to do. He must have had a similar experience because he gave a quick chuckle and then told me to try the A/T switch. I didn't even recall what it was until I looked at it and saw it was off. Then I recalled sitting in the seat looking at all the switches and stuff when I got home and "playing" with them. I played with the wrong switch and I paid for it, with a lot of stress for a few hours.

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN
Old 03-09-2009

That reminded me of when I went from my '78 to my '90. What a difference!! I went
from simple, basic(not even air suspension) to what does this or that do?
I think everyone who owns a bird has a story or two about their beginnings in the
journey(and joys) of owning a bird. Thank goodness for these forums and the rallies.
Old 03-09-2009

Default Speaking of the A/T switch

Still learning about my big ol' Bird. I thought the A/T switch shut off everything 12 volt. Since I have had my bird that I purchased last Nov. it seemed to work that way. I haven't used it much but have been doing things to it and last week for some reason my house batteries got very low. I linked my batteries with the aux. battery switch, fired the gen. and charged everything up. When I was trying to figure out what happened I noticed that turning my A/T switch on and off my house batteries lost some volts each time I switched on and off. I now have a 50amp service and it's plugged in full time and haven't had it happen again. I do notice that if the A/T switch is on or off my ignition switch powers up. Haven't tried to start the engine but I definitely have power when the switch is in the on position. Is the A/T switch supposed to kill the power to the ignition switch.

Help

Matt M
'91 WB in Wa.
Old 03-09-2009

Matt,
There is another 12V switch that cuts the electrics to alot of other stuff. Mine is overhaed in the same compartment as the TV input selector box. It's labeled "12V shut off" or something to that effect. I haven't paid enough attention to my A/T switch to see whether the ignition still powers, but can tell you, she won't start when that's engaged. I can turn off both switches (A/T and 12V shut off) and still power the chargers in the inverters. So when I park mine, the switches are off, one inverter is on and the battery switch is set up for house charging only. I have gel batteries as house batteries and flooded batteries as chassis batteries, so I rarely link them. But I also get the coach out once a month and go for about a 40 mile roundtrip drive, so the chassis batteries stay charged.

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support