Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 03-09-2009

Default A/T Switch

Still learning about my big ol' Bird. I thought the A/T switch shut off everything 12 volt. Since I have had my bird that I purchased last Nov. it seemed to work that way. I haven't used it much but have been doing things to it and last week for some reason my house batteries got very low. I linked my batteries with the aux. battery switch, fired the gen. and charged everything up. When I was trying to figure out what happened I noticed that turning my A/T switch on and off my house batteries lost some volts each time I switched on and off. I now have a 50amp service and it's plugged in full time and haven't had it happen again. I do notice that if the A/T switch is on or off my ignition switch powers up. Haven't tried to start the engine but I definitely have power when the switch is in the on position. Is the A/T switch supposed to kill the power to the ignition switch.

Help

Matt M
'91 WB in Wa.
Old 03-09-2009
Gardner

The A/T stands for anti-theft. It disables the ingnition switch and some other things as well. It does not shut off all of the 12 volt loads. For that you need a battery disconnect switch in the battery compartment.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 03-09-2009
Former Bird Owner

A bird in storage has a lot of "phantom load" from all the stuff on board. It'll bring down the batteries over a relatively short period of time. The A/T switch is supposed to make it hard for a thief to figure out how to start the bird -- but it doesn't turn off very much of the 12 v stuff.

Installing a battery disconnect is the real solution. I think John has photos of one he installed in his extensive archive.

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com
Old 03-09-2009

Hey Matt,
in addition to the A/T switch, you have an electronic master switch in the cabinet over the drivers seat that shuts off the electronics in the coach, clocks, radio memories, monitor panel power and such , might help with the batteries staying up a little longer
Our Address is 1900 Slack St. Pea Ridge Ark. 72751,
Just east of Bentonville, Ark, in the North West Corner
Old 03-06-2010
83-fcsb

Question a/t switch

Help! Does anyone have a diagram of the connections,functions,hookups on the a/t switch system on an 83fcsb. i am rebuilding my bus, and i keep running across dis or unconnected wires. i have traced this one wire back to the dash at switch but it goes nowhere else. thanks, larry
Old 03-06-2010
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Thoreen View Post
Help! Does anyone have a diagram of the connections,functions,hookups on the a/t switch system on an 83fcsb. i am rebuilding my bus, and i keep running across dis or unconnected wires. i have traced this one wire back to the dash at switch but it goes nowhere else. thanks, larry
Larry,

Here is a complete set of BILL SCHREURS 1984 FC SCHEMATICS, in a large PDF file so they can be enlarged for easier viewing, found in the forums Database. I have referred to them about some of the systems on my 82RB model 'Bird, they may also contain what you are looking for, feel free to download them onto your computer for future reference. Bill tulipvendor50 spent a lot of time and did an excellent job of redrawing these 74 drawings and diagrams.

Wanderlodge Owners Group > Links, Files, Old Yahoo Forum Database and Downloads > Manuals and Files Stored in This Forums Software DATABASE > Index of Downloaded Manuals and Files in Forums Software Database > FILES & DIRECTORIES > 1984 FC BB ALL Schem..> 31-Jan-2009 12:55 12.0M

Since my A/T switch has never functioned, I can't explain it's purpose, so hopefully someone else will jump in here and help.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 03-06-2010
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Larry,

Here's a thread describing the function of the A/T switch;

Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical > A/T Switch

I have combined the two threads right here.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 03-06-2010

The A/T switch is a simple "Anti-Theft" system. With the visual complexity of the BB dash area...BB "hid in plain sight" a way to protect the coach from being started by the unaware.

I have not studied the wiring, but functionally I suspect it just is a simple switch that disconnects the circuit from the starting key to everything else. When my AT is to the "off/open circuit" selection....coach will not start (turn over) and none of the relays normally that "click" when you move the key to on/start are activated.

It is a maze inside the rear of the dash area. Be very aware that as you play in one area, another wire slips off somewhere else.

Hope this helps

Coach photos & comments: http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...php?albumid=79