Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 04-02-2009

Default Central Locking Runs Amok!

The central locking system on my Bird has suddenly run amok today. It is firing at random, locking me in or out at irregular intervals. (Fortunately, I always carry my keys when I step out of the bus.)

(I suspect the Bird is annoyed that we have had to come back to Western NY where temperatures are forecast to have highs only in the 30's with snow in the next few days.)

Any suggestions on how to disable it until I can sort out what has gone wrong?

Thanks,
Bruce
2004 Toyota Land Cruiser on a trailer
Old 04-02-2009
Forum owner

i would un-plug the control box for the unit,on an 93wb its in the front overhead compartment above the windshield on the passenger side.
it will have a ford part # on it.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 04-03-2009

Is it locking the bays as well as the front door, or just the front door?

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 04-03-2009

Default Me too

Bruce,

If it is any comfort my Black Widow system which came with the BB would now and then do the same thing to me. I did not disable it although I would if I knew how, I simply started using the keys for locking and unlocking and have not had a problem since.

Dennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by trendycat View Post
The central locking system on my Bird has suddenly run amok today. It is firing at random, locking me in or out at irregular intervals. (Fortunately, I always carry my keys when I step out of the bus.)

(I suspect the Bird is annoyed that we have had to come back to Western NY where temperatures are forecast to have highs only in the 30's with snow in the next few days.)

Any suggestions on how to disable it until I can sort out what has gone wrong?

Thanks,
Bruce
Old 04-03-2009

Randy,

I looked for the control box in that area but could not find it. Just relays and fuses. It's raining too hard here to go out and pull the front panel off the bus to look in that area.

John,
It seems to be just the front door that is locking at random.

The problem seems to have disappeared for the moment. Although I wasn't here much of the day, I didn't notice the problem this morning and so far this evening, it doesn't seem to be happening.

I did lock the bus and the bays with the key this morning and unlocked the door with the key this evening - so I'll stick with the keys for the moment and see if the problem crops up again.

My original thought was that it might be a problem with a sticky/worn keypad since it started after I had used the keypad just before the random locking problem began.

Thanks for the help so far, I'll let you know if I can reproduce the problem on a consistent basis.

Bruce
Old 04-03-2009
Former Bird Owner

You mention rain ... it's possible that some water has gotten into the keypad and it's shorting...

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com
Old 04-03-2009

Pete,

It started yesterday morning when it was still dry here, so I don't think moisture was an issue. I do think it could be a partially stuck keypad, since I've seen this type of problem other membrane keypads that were worn with use over time. (My keypad looks like it has seen a significant amount of use based on the surface wear.)

It started acting strangely a few days ago when it began unlocking the bay doors if "3" was pressed after entering the master code to unlock the door.

My understanding that this was originally a Ford product - would it be possible to buy a replacement from Ford parts, if that turns out to be the problem?

Bruce
Old 04-03-2009
Former Bird Owner

The "other" list (I can't remember the official name, but it's the on on Yahoo Groups) recently discussed the keypad. Ford no longer has 'em. The were from Thunderbird a few years back. Check eBay or wrecking yards and perhaps one can be found that's not as worn.

Perhaps someone else might have some suggestions.

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com
Old 04-04-2009
Forum owner

i noticed recently that a 2000 ford truck has a keypad that looks very close to the keypads used on the 92-97 birds.
the keypad on the birds was indeed off of ford products,and the last time i bought onr they told me it was out of production,i wonder what yu would have to change to be able to use the keypad off the newer pickups?
wire connector maybe?

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 04-04-2009

Randy

The Ford dealer in Michigan told me that he would install a new system that would have a key fob that would open and close all doors and would also activate the alarm system and start your engine. All for $260.00. I believe that they would remove the old and install the new on, the new system is also a Ford system so I was told.
Hisham and Sue Amaral
97 Wanderlodge
TGO