Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 04-04-2009
Forum owner

Hisham,thats a good deal,if you get it done please save the part#s so we can all follow your project!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 04-04-2009

Bruce
On my 97 the control box is located above the co-pilot behind the gauges.
It is about the size of a single serving cereal box and has your entry code on a little stcker along with the Ford number on another label as Randy related to.
If you need a new key pad,I have one I bought and haven't used it yet,as my keypad seemed to have healed itself.
Contact me off forum.
Old 04-04-2009

Fred,

There is no obvious access to the area behind the gauges on the copilot side on my Bird. It looks as though I could remove the 8 or so screws that hold the faceplate on the gauges - would that provide access to both the gauges and any control box behind them?

Bruce
2004 Toyota Land Cruiser on a trailer
Old 04-04-2009

Sorry Bruce
There is no access other than removing the panel.
I forgot to mention that you need to remove the screws and drop the gauge panel down a little and you should see the box unattached suspended by its wiring.

At least that is where mine was hidden.
Old 04-04-2009

Fred,

I pulled the copilot panel, but no control box back there. Pulled the upper pilot gauge panel and nothing there, either. Pulled the dash panel that contains one of the door door lock switches on the dash and nothing back there, either. It does look as though yellow wires 1 and 5 are among the three wires running to that switch.

It occurs to me that perhaps I need to pull the switch panel that is located immediately next to the copilot seat since it contains switches for both the door and the bay locks. Looks like an awfully small area to hide a control box behind, but I'll try that later.

The social director (wife) is requiring that I get ready to go out - she has made plans for the evening that don't include disassembling the bus.

I still think that it may be located behind the outside front panel, as well, but I'm going to wait until the weather improves slightly (It's currently snowing, 33 and winds are gusting to 40mph - not real conducive to outdoor work)

Thanks for all the help so far - I'll try any new suggestions tomorrow.

Bruce
Old 04-04-2009

Bruce
One more area I have been told it was found was at the heater core area.
Right under the dash at the co pilot's feet.
Old 04-06-2009

That panel just pulls out on mine. It takes a fair tug, but there were no screws holding it.

Bruce you mentioned in an earlier post, that yours was acting weird because pushing 3 after the master code unlocked the bays. Did I read that wrong? On mine that's the way it's supposed to operate, according to the manual.

Being a Ford guy, I find it hard to believe any Ford pad wouldn't work. I'll bet they all have the same connection, though I haven't tried looking since mine works well.

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 04-06-2009

John,

I pulled the panel in front of the copilot seat and didn't find the control box in there - just HVAC tubing, etc.

It stopped acting up yesterday when it dried out here, but has started firing at random again now that it is raining and snowing again. Seems like there must be water getting in and causing a short somewhere.

I don't have the owner's manual for the locking system in my Blue Box, but I was told when I bought the coach to press 7/8 to lock everything and then key in the passcode to unlock and press 5 within 5 seconds to unlock the bays. That seemed to work fine until recently when I had to start pressing 3 to unlock the bays.

The malfunction seems to be only locking the main door. It locks, you unlock it and then it will lock again a few seconds to a minute later. It then will continue to click at random intervals as though it is locking again and again. It doesn't seem to be locking the bays, at the same time, however, just the main door.

I've looked for the control box in the area where the relays/fuses are overhead in front of the copilot seat, behind the gauges over both the copilot and pilot seat, in front of the co pilot seat in the heater area and behind the exterior front panel of the bus. No luck locating it so far (at least nothing resembling a control box with any Ford part number or markings on it), or else I'm just missing it.

I have yet to try taking off the interior door panel to look there or looking behind the switches that control the lock next to the copilot seat.

The search continues (or I'm just going to go somewhere where the weather is dry and solve the problem that way )

Of course, in dry (very low humidity) weather I seem to have a random starting problem that I posted about a few months ago. There were suggestions that it could be related to a loose ground (which I haven't found yet) but that problem went away once I moved into areas with higher humidity than the Hill Country of TX.

Always a new and exciting challenge..
Old 04-06-2009
Former Bird Owner

I wonder if there is one of the locking switches that's intermittently shorting. In my coach, there is a locking switch on the upper-right part of the dashboard, a switch in over the head of the bed, and a switch in the set of switches next to the passenger seat.

I've been watching this thread, wondering where the control box might eventually be found...

Since moisture seems to be related, you might need to open the back side of the pad area and re-seal the keypad to the body (to keep moisture out). Of course, a fine crack in the pad membrane may be letting moisture into the keypad itself.

Funny -- my blue box/owner's manual had minimal comments about how to use the locking system. Eventually, I found a loose card (perhaps 6 x 8") with some info on it. Another BB owner explained about pressing the (7/8)(9/0) keys simultaneously to lock. I was told to "press twice" to lock the bays -- but a single press seems to lock everything.

I was also told to enter the 5-digit code, then press the (5/6) key to unlock the bays.

The system has worked as expected since I learned the procedures.

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com
Old 04-06-2009

Bruce,
It should unlock with the 3 button and not the 5 button. All the Fords, you enter your code- the main door should unlock, then hit 3 and everything else should unlock. You hit the 7 and 9 buttons simultaneously to lock everything when departing. You won't find the control box behind the door panel. I've had mine off (as well as NUMEROUS Ford cars/trucks) and have never seen the control box in the door. I'll bet it's in the overhead. If I decide to run down to mine tonight, I'll take a look- but it's supposed to be 25 here tonight, so I may just decide to keep the couch warm! We'll see. It certainly sounds like it's water related. Certainly finding the leak will be good, if nothing else. I've never seen one continue to fire the main door lock solenoid, but I haven't been working on BB's for very long. I'm working on a long term small roof leak, and redoing the interior roof panels. One of the skylights was seeping around the edge and it's really made a **** of a mess inside, that was VERY well hidden. At least it doesn't stop me from using her!

I'm with Randy, if Hisham can get us the part numbers to have a working fob to lock and unlock things, that could be a real neat addition. I don't care about remote starting, but the fob would be nice. Maybe somebody can figure out how to incorporate the factory alarm system, so we'd only need 1 fob. Of course, we really need to be looking at the Harley system. It deactivates the alarm when you get near your bike and activates it as you walk away! No operator required!

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support

Last edited by fxdwg; 04-06-2009 at 03:25 PM. Reason: adding info